Bond fund question

So I have 150K to invest, this is currently in zero interest checking accnt.

Initially I was thinking of going with Vanguard recommendation (robo one)
36K in VTI
24K in VXUS
63K in BND
27K in BNDX

But the way folks talk, perhaps I should I lighten up on the bonds and put maybe 30K of the bond allotment into CD's ?

5 year cd's have been doing better then bond funds have

Obviously, bonds and bond funds are going to crash and probably go to near zero value in a few months. Best to move your money now into those Venezuelan Beaver Cheese Futures that others here have recommended.

Or find some new financial 'product' designed to make you big dollars in a rising interest rate environment.

Or, one could re-balance each year to one's preferred AA, and not worry about it. Just a thought.

forget the beaver cheese . save a tree- eat a beaver .

So I have 150K to invest, this is currently in zero interest checking accnt.

Initially I was thinking of going with Vanguard recommendation (robo one)
36K in VTI
24K in VXUS
63K in BND
27K in BNDX

But the way folks talk, perhaps I should I lighten up on the bonds and put maybe 30K of the bond allotment into CD's ?

It looks like your AA is ~40/60 so I would go with a balanced fund like Wellesley or the Life Strategy Conservative Growth since it is all in one taxable account... it would be simpler and reduce the need to rebalance.

Or if you carve out some of your fixed income allocation into a CD (which I think is a good idea) then you could mix some CDs and Wellington or one of the Life Strategy funds to get to a 40/60 AA. For example, $95k of Wellington and $55k of CDs would be ~40/60 overall.

If you definitely want index funds then perhaps even the Target Retirement 2015 fund.

However, the four fund approach might give you a bit more tax flexibility if you intend to use these funds in the near future and if taxes are a concern.

Back
Top Bottom