Chart of the Day

Here's my chart of the day (nickel futures):

View attachment 41951

The current price of nickel is about US$30,000 per ton.

The price of tin is US$47,000 per ton.

Copper is cheaper at $9,400 per ton. However, we use a lot more copper than tin.

The current price of nickel is about US$30,000 per ton.

The price of tin is US$47,000 per ton.

Copper is cheaper at $9,400 per ton. However, we use a lot more copper than tin.

My chart shows futures price trends. By tomorrow, it will be different.

We are now 14 months past this point and now Commodities are exploding in price to where a nickel now has 10 cents worth of metal in it.

I wondered about that, but it looks fairly close.

A US 5 cent piece weighs 5 grams.

(from wiki)
it is Composed of cupronickel (75% copper and 25% nickel),

At 10 cents and 5 grams, that is 2 cents per gram, which is $20,000 per Metric Ton.

If copper is around $10,000/MT, then nickel would need to get to $50,000/MT.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/nickel-price

Spot price of nickel (I don't think you can make a coin out if 'futures') is $42,995/MT, and copper is $10,729.85 /MT. So yep, ~ 9.4 cents in a 'nickel'.

((.25×42995)+(.75×10730))/200000 = 0.09398125

caveat - all math done on first cup of coffee!

-ERD50

Nickel is used in lithium cells for EVs.

A Tesla 3 is said to contain 30 kg of nickel. At the current spot price of $43/kg, that's $1290 just for nickel.

37628986-16430807345980046_origin.jpg

I think Lithium prices are going up as fast as nickel, if you can get a quote

Nickel is used in lithium cells for EVs.

A Tesla 3 is said to contain 30 kg of nickel. At the current spot price of $43/kg, that's $1290 just for nickel.

I like to read the articles about new battery research. There is a LOT of work going on in the field to eliminate the expensive metals in batteries. Also a lot of work to get around the habit of Li batteries to catch fire. I'd like to get a PHEV, but supply is pretty limited right now, and hopefully battery tech will improve before long.

Here's a recent video about the shortage of metal for lithium cells for EVs.

It is well known that among different lithium cell chemistries, lithium-iron-phosphate chemistry (LiFePO4 or LFP for lithium ferrous phosphate) avoids the use of expensive metals. LFP cells are also safer, less expensive, and last longer. The problem is that LFP cells have a lower energy density, hence weigh more for the same capacity. EVs built with LFP cells have less range, and people paying for expensive EVs want the best.

For fixed storage applications, LFP should be a no brainer. China is leading in LFP cell production, with more than 90% of the world's capacity. There are many battery factories being built around the world outside of China, but I don't know how many are dedicated to the expensive EV cells, and how many are for LFP cells.

Last edited:
FRHW_vOWUAAapLt

Last 30 years of Bloomberg Global Aggregate total return index, in the bond world this represents 28 trillion in assets, well maybe 25 trillion now.

FRL23PVWQAAoLPk

For the first time in a decade there are no negative yielding bonds in the world. Anyone that bought a negative yielding bond is now losing money, as it should be.

Is this what "nibbling" looks like. Holy mother of jesus, we just couldn't find the levels today. Looks more like a lie detector test than a stock chart.

nibbling.PNG
nasdaq.jpg

FRRlzFeWYAAz05i

SPAINS PPI

That horrific 46.6% year-over-year PPI of Spain is caused mostly by energy costs with a 136% increase.

The consumer price index of Spain went up 9.8% YoY in March.

That horrific 46.6% year-over-year PPI of Spain is caused mostly by energy costs with a 136% increase.

The consumer price index of Spain went up 9.8% YoY in March.

"Transitory".

The inflation in currencies (i.e. excess money supply) has been world-wide, a race to the bottom.

Image attached

Attachments

• FSqDaQKXsAAGtAq.jpg
    FSqDaQKXsAAGtAq.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 46
Average Homebuyer Payment based on median asking price. Getting expensive

Attachments

• FSmle14WIA03B9o.png
    FSmle14WIA03B9o.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom