Current Market Aug 14

A quote by Hedley Lamarr expresses my sentiment on the current markets: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Just another day. It'll be warmer today than yesterday, but not as hot as last week. ;)

Edit: I did see that CNBC has added a "WATCH LIVE!!!" banner to the top of their page. Nothing better than seeing a train wreck LIVE!!! :cool:

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Stuff I wonder about.... random thoughts.

I'm watching the VIX.... 22.6.. when to worry?
Would like to know more about the bank ETF's.
What can the Fed do?
What about the China bounce?
What do you think may be triggers to watch?
Will the volatility continue?
Consumer Confidence... short term or long term?
Will what goes down... come up?
What do you see as strengths?

Or maybe it will all be over by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Some thoughts...

I'm watching the VIX.... 22... when to worry? Never
Would like to know more about the bank ETF's. Google
What can the Fed do? They don't know
What about the China bounce? Like a dead cat
What do you think may be triggers to watch? None. Life is too short
Will the volatility continue? Probably
Consumer Confidence... short term or long term? Yes, no, maybe
Will what goes down... come up? Yes. No.
What do you see as strengths? My ability to see the future

I'm watching the VIX.... 22.6.. when to worry?
Would like to know more about the bank ETF's.
What can the Fed do?
What about the China bounce?
What do you think may be triggers to watch?
Will the volatility continue?
Consumer Confidence... short term or long term?
Will what goes down... come up?
What do you see as strengths?

I watch the VIX. At 24 or 25 it becomes interesting. Anything over 25 and that could be considered a time to buy the market. Over 30 definitely a time to buy. We have reached those levels only at some of the most fearful times in the market. I think we need a little more fear yet to put any cash to work. Your results may vary.

I watch the VIX. At 24 or 25 it becomes interesting. Anything over 25 and that could be considered a time to buy the market. Over 30 definitely a time to buy. We have reached those levels only at some of the most fearful times in the market. I think we need a little more fear yet to put any cash to work. Your results may vary.

+1000

Probably the only thing I genuinely like about "interesting" market weeks like last week, and now this week so far, in terms of volatility, and even times like 1987, the early oughts, 2007-2008, etc, is that they are opportunities for me to first learn, and then confirm, that I have a high tolerance for such events, and find them rather stimulating, especially as I watch others panic. I do feel sorry for the, frankly financially rather dim, I'm sad to say, folks who use such events to sell, sell, sell, and then never return to the market until its so high they overcome their irrational fear, then lather (and quite a lather it is) rinse, repeat.

It's all because of the person who had to make the Wheeeee post. He/she knew they shouldn't have done it, but went ahead and did it anyhow.

Last edited:
I have stuff to do. The market has stuff to do. I have more patience than it does. We'll take a serious look at things at year-end like we always do. Probably that will not cause us to make any trades.

But the funny headlines are here again: "Extensive Selling Today" :LOL: No mention of the fact that there was exactly as much buying.

It's all because of the person who had to make the Wheeeee post. He/she knew they shouldn't have done it, but went ahead and did it anyhow.

What? I missed the "wheeee" post and my opportunity to SELL? Why didn't anyone TELL me?? I KNEW I shouldn't have gone out of town!

system trading on an inverted yc, no biggie just a little volatility

volatility is volatile

What? I missed the "wheeee" post and my opportunity to SELL? Why didn't anyone TELL me?? I KNEW I shouldn't have gone out of town!

I have retrieved...

I am over my all time high as well, and patting myself on the back for not starting another Wheee!!! thread about it.

OMG! W2R typed the dreaded W-word... we are DOOMED. :)

I have my computer set up to automatically move everything to cash when she mentions the "w" word.

Last edited:
Woo-hoo! I'm probably going to w*rk about 5 more years, so I'm happy to be able to snap up some bargains! (I'm actually kinda disappointed to see my NW drop, but hey, I have to find the upside in order to stay the course.)

Woo-hoo! I'm probably going to w*rk about 5 more years, so I'm happy to be able to snap up some bargains! (I'm actually kinda disappointed to see my NW drop, but hey, I have to find the upside in order to stay the course.)

You have the right attitude. I always had to laugh at the 30-40 yo's at work who thought it was GREAT that the market was going up, and TERRIBLE when it tanked. I would keep telling them, they have it BACKWARDS for them. A few finally caught on. Not that they could do anything about the market.:D

I *may have posted a pic of a family having a bunch of fun on a roller coaster...with the caption something like "hang on kiddos!" :D

I didn't sell though, all I do is buy. Talk to me in about 12 years when I switch to passive income lol.

It makes that bounce/rebound that much more entertaining. Especially if you are in 100% equities high growth like me hahaha. :D

The bloody Wednesday of '19

You have the right attitude. I always had to laugh at the 30-40 yo's at work who thought it was GREAT that the market was going up, and TERRIBLE when it tanked. I would keep telling them, they have it BACKWARDS for them. A few finally caught on. Not that they could do anything about the market.:D

I just told my co-worker today that if we see another correction like we had earlier it's just another opportunity for me to buy. I told him I will be buying tomorrow anyways...

He looked at me and said "Oh what are you buying, you have dry powder (in other terms)" I said no, tomorrow is the 15th, we get paid, I contribute to our 401k. He had a suuuper puzzled look on his face. I didn't really know what to say so I sort of slowly retreated.

Last edited:
I *may have posted a pic of a family having a bunch of fun on a roller coaster...with the caption something like "hang on kiddos!" :D

I didn't sell though, all I do is buy. Talk to me in about 12 years when I switch to passive income lol.

Found it.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/scary-boots-images-for-current-market-99075.html

Scary images for current market a few days back lol!

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32340&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1565105640

Know it's boring, but I remain happy with my AA. I like boring.

I have to admit it was interesting when the numbers got goofy the other day with the software snafu regarding Wellsely and Wellington... The first time I checked I had lost a ton. The 2nd time I checked I was up about 78 Million. Really, that's what it said. By the time they figured it out I was down a wee bit, nothing to excite me after a long run-up...

So...steady as she goes. I expect stormy seas ahead. At some point. In the future. I like my AA...
Carry on my wayward son.

I think the "Wheeee Girl" had knee surgery today. If she is saying the "W" word tonight, it's probably the painkillers...

Dollar cost averaging into index fund, per usual.

, and then confirm, that I have a high tolerance for such events.

+1 For better or worse, 2008 and it's subsequent recovery has made me pretty fearless.

Despite yesterday's drop, I'm still up 12% YTD.

Panicked and sold all my socks yesterday

Could not stand it any longer and sold / gave away all my socks accumulated during the working years. Hated to part with them - but I am retired now and rebalancing my wardrobe.

Hat tip to Shane.

WMT up 6.5% on premarket news that they smashed ecom +37% growth lol.

I'm dialed into this madness, probably at an unhealthy level but hey. What's the best Video forecast to watch on the markets?

I listen to PBS newshour, Yahoo Finance The Final Call etc. but maybe again this is probably unhealthy.

People talk change to business cycle and recession and you better believe my butt is right there next to the cameraman shooting the reporter trying to get a gauge.

One day I want to sell it all, the next I want to fire off the dry powder. So far, this week I had my 3rd largest drop % wise in the year, so it has been worse for me earlier this year.

Could not stand it any longer and sold / gave away all my socks accumulated during the working years. Hated to part with them - but I am retired now and rebalancing my wardrobe.

Hat tip to Shane.

So you just rockin flippy floppies, or straight barefoot you rebel? :LOL:

I still have my favorite socks, MMM, CASY, and of course... AAPL!

Back
Top Bottom