Did anyone buy any individual stock yesterday as the Dow fell 725 points?

Blue531

Recycles dryer sheets
Was just curious if anyone bought into the market yesterday or is planning to as the Dow has fallen? What have you got on your radar?

picked up some XONE (+1.42) and some QYLD (-0.36). Just messing around in my play account. I've got a few more K's that may be deployed in the next few days.

No, the market would have to fall a lot further for me to buy anything that I do not already hold.

I have been buying ATT as an alternative to bonds (I know they are different categories) when it dips below around 28 … the 7%+ dividend is what I am after, but the dip helps. T is up about 1% over purchase yesterday - not much, but helps.

Oh, and some RMED … down a bit today over purchase, but an interesting company and tech.

I think ROKU has more to run, but am bottom fishing right now.

I had *JUST* opened a Vanguard account and got access early that morning, and made my planned purchase. I wanted index funds but I knew we needed more in bonds so,
drumroll

I got a trade in on BND

I am the market timer ( tongue in cheek ) :D

Don't really have any dry powder right for more investing, so not buying any dips or otherwise.

Sous a CC when an ETF I owed was up. Sold some CCs on APPL this morning.

BigDawg … wasn’t following XONE industry … pretty interesting … been beat up over last few months, but big time growth industry.

Thoughts?

My "growth" stocks were actually up that day but I have been adding to Docusign DOCU after looking at their last earnings report again. It's looking like it's much more than a covid stock after all.

I've been investing in individual companies for years so have become used to some volatility but have to admit that as the portfolio has grown the dollar amounts make me pause at times.

Bought a small position in MRNA when it was announced they will be added to the S & P 500 soon. It went up about $50 in two days. Actually, it was up ~ $25 in yesterday's blood bath.

yes - Cat at $202.72 , OTLY at about $19 , why do you ask ?

Nice pickup on Cat at $202. I bought too high, and have been trying to get back to even money through selling covered calls. My current contract strike price is above my current basis, so that is something.

Nice pickup on Cat at $202. I bought too high, and have been trying to get back to even money through selling covered calls. My current contract strike price is above my current basis, so that is something.

Hmm .... we shall see , if you had told me a few years back I would be buying CAT that high -I would have laughed at you ! There is a "mental wall" at the $200 level (my thinking note !!) - if it manages to keep above it for a while , results are good , and infastructure spend starts - then all should be grand ........... on the other hand it could fall away down zooming towards the 100 / 150 level

... and guess what , nobody knows !!

BigDawg … wasn’t following XONE industry … pretty interesting … been beat up over last few months, but big time growth industry.

Thoughts?

An engineer buddy told me about it. More of an industry play vice company specifics. He knows a guy who is connected with the company. Just a few K of play money I received when my work contract ended.

Like I originally stated, I was curious. Not enough talk about stocks in here. Thanks to all of you for your responses!

Late answer - very tiny additions

I added * very tiny* amounts to already existing positions of.....

LUV @ $47.55 (SouthWestAir)

GM @ 53.95

GD@. $185 and change (General Dynamics)

CAT @ $200 and change

KO@ 54

Due to put options that became in-the-money on Friday 7/16, I had to buy the following stocks: AA, BG, C, CC, HAL, MOS, MU, SLB, SMH, VWO.

All these stocks/ETFs have moved up along with the broad market. AA (Alcoa) jumped up around 10% yesterday. Crazy market, eh? What were people doin'?

I have to see where they are now with respect to my option strike prices. When I add in the premium that I got from the put options, it is most likely I have net gains.

More, more, more shares... I've got to unload some to convert back to cash. Stock AA at 78% right now. I need to get busy selling covered calls to reduce some positions.

Yes, bought some GE on Friday and XOM, CVX and more GE on Monday... Sold yesterday (Tuesday). Should have held until today, but still not bad at all.

Last edited:
I bought some more TRQ. While it has some issues with the Mongolian government, Rio Tinto and Covid right now, it is one of the largest and richest gold, silver, and copper deposits in the world. The mine is still in its development stage, and is a play for me in the precious metals category, and a resource play for the Chinese market. Long term hold for me.

Back
Top Bottom