Did our market timers buy at the bottom?

I funded this year's Roth IRA on Friday & Monday with buy orders. I didn't buy at the very bottom, but got a great deal relative to prices over the past year.

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

All this talk about market bottoms reminds me of the recent song by Meghan Trainor...

Aren't you going to post it, or does someone have to ask? ;)

Yep. Caught the flash crash with IUSV at 101 and IJS at 82 (currently sitting on 25-32% gains in those positions, though I partially hedged by selling some other LV and SCV elsewhere in the portfolio).

Also rebalanced into some emerging markets Tuesday. Missed the absolute bottom but I still got in at a decent position.

And +1 to those questioning whether we've seen the bottom yet. :) Your guess is as good as mine.

I "tactically rebalanced" about $10K from corporate bonds to stocks on Monday. Winner winner chicken dinner. But I'm not a market timer.:angel:

I bought an additional 1% of our equities position in Total Stock Market Index at the very bottom (Tuesday's close) but that was blind good luck. It could have one down further. Since it bounced back as of Wednesday I consider Tuesday afternoon the bottom.

I invested half the proceeds from selling my house, in mutual funds according to my asset allocation, at the first opportunity. That was Monday, and although the Dow was down around 1674 points from the previous Monday, it went down another 205 points or so on Tuesday. So, I didn't hit the bottom but close.

I'm still happy. :) I wasn't trying to market time and had planned my reinvesting strategy last week. Still, I love it when things work out like this.

I invested half the proceeds from selling my house, in mutual funds according to my asset allocation, at the first opportunity. That was Monday, and although the Dow was down around 1674 points from the previous Monday, it went down another 205 points or so on Tuesday. So, I didn't hit the bottom but close.

I'm still happy. :) I wasn't trying to market time and had planned my reinvesting strategy last week. Still, I love it when things work out like this.

Congrats! You are a lucky lady!

Reactions: W2R
So we called the bottom for you market timers on 8/25, did you buy? Didn't you believe us?

I did Midpack. Can't remember if the 25th or 26th but before the bounce back up. Of course we may be heading for lower lows soon.

Are we even at the bottom yet?

I am not a market timer, other than making monthly IVV purchase. I bought my September allocation about a week early, as the market looked low. So far, that was a decent bet.

If the market roars from here, it is good. If it declines, not as much.

In the long run, it really doesn't matter.

Give it at least three weeks (from 8/25)!

Historically things are dicey until mid October.

I was joking of course, I know no one can consistently call a bottom that day, least of all me. Rebalancing is the most reliable way for me to buy low, sell high...

Have taken no action, since nothing has exceeded my rebalance bands.

not so much as market timing but philosophy.. I try to always sell something when we hit a market high to get at least 5% cash to wait for an 8%+ pullback to buy which in the last several years has served me rather well since this market always has a crisis.

Market timing kills my brain cells.

On Tuesday, when the market dropped almost 3%, which was a buy opportunity. But the news said it might be a bear market coming. Then on Wednesday, the market shot up almost 2%, which made me not want to buy, regret not buying on Tuesday. Today it is up again, seems a no buy.

Is the market bottom in?
We could test S&P ~1825 several times.... 2011 déjà vu

I don't think :confused: we've seen the bottom for this cycle just yet but I did make several buys on some of the bigger dips the past few weeks. I didn't get any at their absolute bottoms but I got very close on a couple of buys. All were bought on days the particular stock hit their 52 week lows. (Which wasn't hard to do over the past few weeks) I'll buy again on the next big dips, whenever they may come. I've already sold some after a nice bounce. Some I think I might keep for a while.

Last edited:
I didn't buy, because I don't think we are at the bottom, yet. Time will tell :)

Not me, but a friend who likes to put in low ball limit orders on days that might open way down actually got 1000 GE at $19.95 on the August 24 opening.

Still waiting for proof. Don't mind giving up a few bucks to ensure and solid upturn. Don't want to be fooled by traders...

Fridays before a three day weekend with the market already nervous tend to be sell off days.

But next week we are past Labor Day, and that's when all the regular traders return to work. Hard to predict what happens then, but at least we should be back to normal volume.

I think the market has a ways to go before bottoming. Margin calls haven't really kicked in yet. Watch out bellow if and when that happens.

I'm sorry did a bell sound to indicate the market has bottomed? It could drop 20% next week...who knows?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Back
Top Bottom