Funds that Weathered the Storm This Year

Fleur58

Recycles dryer sheets
During this time of financial turmoil, were there any mutual funds that you owned that made you feel comfortable in your decision to own them--and keep them for the long term?

I felt like my Vanguard Wellesley fund suffered an initial drop; and then appeared to recover quicker than other intermediate bond and total market funds I own. But is is a 30/70 Balanced fund. Then again, I am not sure how to accurately gauge its true performance. Anyway, I like to know if you have any funds that you are now convinced you will keep for the long term and why?

My two equity funds are Fido total market and total international index funds. I did rebalance from 75/25 to ~50/50.
I sleep well.:)

All my bond funds have done well including one up over 6%.

When my portfolio dropped from an Asset Allocation of 60/40 to about 50/50, then I rebalanced back to 60/40, so the things I bought in mid-March are up almost 25%. The things I bought about 2 weeks ago are up more than 21%.

I'd say the portfolio as a whole has "Weathered the Storm This Year" so far.

I have no plans to change any of the investments that I use in my portfolio which consist of the usual players: index funds and ETFs of equities and bonds.

Last edited:
No magic funds. Using index funds surely helps me understand what is going on.

My two equity funds are Fido total market and total international index funds. I did rebalance from 75/25 to ~50/50.
I sleep well.:)

I rebalanced after the initial run up from the bottom in late March. I am missing out on some of the continued run up. But I feel better. We've got several years in assets (cash, CD's TIPS), so we're better able to weather the storm(s).

Many here have shared their reaction to a first post-retirement downturn (of significance), and their subsequent risk tolerance. In our case, pensions and SS cover most of D2D expenses, and our egg is for travel, remodeling, big ticket items, and perhaps, a tad bit of legacy. So, I was comfy with 75/25 - - - - until I wasn't. :mad:

Anyhoo, still comfy just pegging to the total market, but with fewer chips on the table.

Back
Top Bottom