FYI: Fidelity bond cash flow tool and matured bonds

Spock

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those doing tax/IRA withdrawal planning, there is a "feature" in the Fido bond cash flow tool where it does not include income from matured bonds.
While it shows cash flow for past months Jan-Sept, it only shows the income from bonds that are still active. Bonds that generated income say through June and then matured in July, will not show up in the cash flow tool at all. The Jan-June monthly totals will be short the income already generated by the bonds that matured in July.

So Fido's 2022 income projection will be off by the amount that any matured bonds contributed earlier in the year before those bonds matured.

IMO if the tool is going to show any bond income numbers for months already completed, it should show all the bond income.

Maybe this should be in the pet peeve thread instead, but I hate when projection tools don't agree with statements already in my file cabinet.:mad:

Ah well.

For those doing tax/IRA withdrawal planning, there is a "feature" in the Fido bond cash flow tool where it does not include income from matured bonds.
While it shows cash flow for past months Jan-Sept, it only shows the income from bonds that are still active. Bonds that generated income say through June and then matured in July, will not show up in the cash flow tool at all. The Jan-June monthly totals will be short the income already generated by the bonds that matured in July.

So Fido's 2022 income projection will be off by the amount that any matured bonds contributed earlier in the year before those bonds matured.

IMO if the tool is going to show any bond income numbers for months already completed, it should show all the bond income.

Maybe this should be in the pet peeve thread instead, but I hate when projection tools don't agree with statements already in my file cabinet.:mad:

Ah well.
Go to tax info year to date. Add the two together.

I use the tool all the time and do as I wrote above and know on a monthly basis exactly what I made and what I will make.

For obvious reasons TIPS are not included in the cash flow calculations. I only mention this because they are not included in the annual amounts of interest and principal. I print off the bar graph page and draw in the TIPS portion so I can visualize my ladder. They are included in the summary holdings page, in order of maturity, with current values so it's not a big deal.

Overall the analysis tool is very useful and helps me easily manage nearly 100 holdings from both Fidelity and Vanguard.

Last edited:
There must be multiple tools. Where is this tool located? The one I use is accessed by clicking
‘positions’
click any bond
select ‘view fixed income analysis’ from dropdown

Select ‘View’ (all positions or individual account’

Select ‘Cash Flow Calculations’ tab

It shows principal and interest as line items monthly or annually but it is a projection. There is also a ‘taxability’ view that breaks down taxable vs tax exempt. Very detailed tool

Last edited:
There must be multiple tools. Where is this tool located? The one I use is accessed by clicking
‘positions’
click any bond
select ‘view fixed income analysis’ from dropdown

Select ‘View’ (all positions or individual account’

Select ‘Cash Flow Calculations’ tab

It shows principal and interest as line items monthly or annually but it is a projection. There is also a ‘taxability’ view that breaks down taxable vs tax exempt. Very detailed tool

There is only one, but once principal is paid it shows as 0 for the prior months. Interest is always shown. So you then take future projections and add it to the income shown in your year to date tax info to get a correct total for the current year. I update mine once a month, it takes 2 minutes.

Last edited:
There is only one, but once principal is paid it shows as 0 for the prior months. Interest is always shown. So you then take future projections and add it to the income shown in your year to date tax info to get a correct total for the current year. I update mine once a month, it takes 2 minutes.

OK, I see that now. I stand corrected. I never relied on the tool for taxes or planning because I need a spreadsheet to track distributions from credit union IRA's.

OK, I see that now. I stand corrected. I never relied on the tool for taxes or planning because I need a spreadsheet to track distributions from credit union IRA's.

I do as well. :cool:
I keep my own spreadsheets. Too many factors to consider.

Back
Top Bottom