help me understand crypto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This interview from a few days ago with Anthony Scaramucci, (former White House Director of Communications and who also worked at Goldman Sachs's in the areas of investment banking, equities, and private wealth management) is pretty insightful too, once its gets going. Well worth a lazy Sunday listen. (A rather vulgar YouTube image and title in my view, but don't let that deter you from what is actually a really good discussion). :)

Last edited:
Other options, if you are wanting listed companies that actually hold Sats on their balance sheets, include:

MicroStrategy (MSTR)
Tesla (TSLA)
Galaxy Digital Holdings (BRPHF)
Voyager Digital (VYGVF)
Square (SQ)
Marathon Digital (MARA)
Coinbase (COIN)
Mercado Libre (MELI)
Twitter (TWTR)
PayPay (PYPL)

Actually many more once I start listing, and many more also in Asia and emerging markets too where I primarily focus my time,

And of course many more companies have exposure to BTC as part of their business activities but may not classify it as a treasury asset.

So to a point that a person posted earlier, yes, we all will get greater exposure over time, as global BTC networking and integration etc permeates more and more of our global monetary system. The decision to hold directly is really simply a matter of concentration. Eg, do you want greater exposure that the average person (which would give you huge upside if this trend does continue), or, do you simply stay exposed to the economy generally via a broad mix of stocks via an ETF (in which case you will participate in the adoption), but not greater than the average participant.

A massive game changer will be direct ETF listed in the US. This will essentially open the gates to any fund, investment advisor./manager, mom and pop investor, private fund, HNW etc who so far have not felt comfortable with existing options. If you believe that almost all would likely, over time, allocate just a little to such an ETF, and if you believe that such an ETF is inevitable, then you would definitely want to get in now, prior to this occurring. So again, what this comes down to, is your confidence (or desire for exposure) to future societal change (for which they cannot be absolute certainty, but only estimates and predictions of likelihoods of occurrence).

After reading this, I own TSLA and PYPL via my Large Cap ETFs, so I can bow out of this thread now. I have never owned gold, I tried Oil once, and stay away from as much of the USD as I can in terms of keeping cash on hand...I like to invest in companies with a balance sheet and growth potential. Commodity trading is just not in the cards for us.

It seems like that same thing is going on with the crypto space too. High transaction fees, skimming in the "staking game", fees for this and that, etc.

I tell my husband that every time I log one of our transactions - it's always best to be the banker, whether a decentralized one or not. Fees are where the real money is, heh.

Great recent interview at the Milken Investment Institute 2021 Global Conference with former Bitcoin skeptic, the legendary Howard Marks of Oaktree Capital.

The interview discusses both global macro investment themes, equity valuations, real estate, as well as the future of Bitcoin (starting around 6.30 mins).

He describes his former anti-Bitcoin stance as a "knee-jerk reaction to something new". And my favorite quote from the interview "The lesson I learned is that Bitcoin skeptics should not opine on things they don't understand". :LOL:

Well worth a watch in its entirety.
http://youtu.be/kWIF8XJUMmo

Last edited:
Have any of you taken a course like this one or similar and did you find it helpful?

https://www.udemy.com/course/introduction-to-cryptocurrencies/

I understand it conceptually, but I need to get educated in some kind of basic bootcamp kind of way.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks

I’ll give that link a look. I watched most of the videos from this course at MIT. I’m thinking about rewatching and actually acquiring the assigned reading. My take is it mostly confirms my gut feeling about the tech, but I’ll not elaborate. I do enjoy the academic setting.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUl4u3cNGP63UUkfL0onkxF6MYgVa04Fn

Mod Note:
We recognize there is interest in our community on the topic of digital currency including Bitcoin, Blockchain, etc. However, to avoid confusion, we have decided a single dedicated thread makes the most sense at this time.

Accordingly, this and other current threads have been closed, and continuing discussion should take place here:

The Cryptocurrency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom