Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
That was a good pick... it is a question of how many shares you have bought... if a good number then you might trim what you own and ride the gains...

I was very late to the game, but hold some of this and am hoping to ride it higher... wish I had another one to strap onto!!!
Unfortunately, I only bought 400. Still, turning 4k into 72k I'll take any day! Let's hope it keeps going.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
This is sort of like the ride I've been on with NVDA, except mine has taken much longer. Bought in about 7ish years ago around $10 and been holding ever since all the way up to its current point at about $179.
I bought NVDA 1,000 shares back on 1/11/11 (loved all those one's!) for TWICE what you paid and was sore about it for years. But not anymore. I'm not selling this one, I added to my position (at a much higher price) last year.

I tend to invest in companies where I know a bit about their product line and like their management. Jensen Huang is tried and true and I expect him to stick around a while and keep driving NVDA up. I also really like Andy Bechtolscheim so have been building a large position in Arista networks (ANET). Elon Musk always seems to thrill me with his unique thoughts, so I'm long TSLA too. I haven't even talked about the products from these great companies, they are the real star.

Love to hear about other's favorite stocks...
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
This is definitely still a high risk stock but consider what Running_Man has mentioned. This could easily go to $80, $150, maybe even $200 a share especially if they are able to target other indications.
Congrats - Getting out is just as much as a gamble as getting in - and perhaps even more so. Might keep VRX in mind as to what goes up can go down.
  • $15 in 1995
  • $15 in 2010
  • $250 in 2015
  • $14 today
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ok, this is coming from a guy that doesn't do much trading but can accept some risk. I'm still wanting to kick myself for not listening to my Dad when Netflix was at $52/share about 3 years ago and he told me to dump $10k into it. I almost did, but thought it could tank. That would be worth $100k today. I did get lucky back around 2011 or 2012 jumping in on BLIAQ (Blockbuster pink sheet stock) for $13k and selling 2 days later for a $40k profit. No joke. Then the next day, the SEC halted all trading for 30 days, it reopened at 90% less and a ton of people lost a lot of money.

This is looking like one of those opportunities that could turn into something big. I'm 36 in a low cost of living area and have almost $350k in accounts, all in the last 8 years. I could throw $10k at this, and if it goes to zero, not lose too much sleep. If it works out, it could take years off my retirement age, which I'm already focusing in on 50.

I'm only looking for opinions and even if you're wrong, will not care. Do you guys see this jumping up and down for a while or should I strike while the iron's hot? I have done about an hour's worth of research on this tonight and everything is pointing up.

Also, I have about $50k in an ESPP (employee stock purchase program) with Fidelity that I will need to sell some off to fund this. Could this be done quickly? Say, sell $10k of my company stock with a market order, then immediately purchase $10k of Endocyte? Or do the funds have to settle for a while? I'd just do a quick checking account to Fidelity transfer BUT I just dropped $12k cash on the steal of a century car purchase that just fell into my lap and haven't had a chance to recharge my checking account.

Thanks for any and all input!
sirsavesalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #45

I think if you had gotten in at $1.20 like I did it would have been a lot better risk vs reward (they had $2.77 in cash!). I was just waiting around for a buyout or a drug to hit and they just went and teamed up on a very promising drug. Maybe they read my post on er.org about taking over the company and got scared!

At the current price of $5.80, it is pretty risky. The upside is they have several trials of this drug going on in different parts of the world (compassion trials) so updates are going to be coming a lot faster than a typical bio pre stage 3. Normally we would not get any news until late 2018 early 2019 but with this drug we are going to see news pop up now and then about efficacy.

It possibly will pull back into the $4 range after things settle and then pop to $7 on the first of the news. It should go to $8 or $9 when they officially enroll stage 3. Of course at any time if they halt a trial so everyone can get on the drug because it is working so well, expect the price to jump to $20.

On the downside they are going to now burn through cash very fast. I bet they are near out of money in 2018 and will have to dilute. This is not a big problem if the shares are trading at $10 but would be horrible if they were trading at $1.20.

This is still about as risky as a scratch and win ticket so be careful! I have $180,000 riding on this but it is all house money and I have fully realized my initial investment. I can't sell because of tax reasons and simple greed. I will sell $23,000 Jan 1 2018 to fund that year's ACA MAGI in full.

edit: I am also going to put out there that there is no rush. There is always a pullback in these stocks. It will go back to $4 at some point, even if it is just intraday.

edit2: Another little side note. Their CAR-T partnership with Seattle Childrens is with the co-founder of JUNO. That stock is similar to KITE, who was bought by Gilead for 11 billion. JUNO is 5 billion right now and not anywhere near approval. Bio is crazy.

edit3: Another little note. At one point ECYT was $26 a share and then dropped eventually to the $1.17. You can lose all your money in bio.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
Unfortunately, I only bought 400. Still, turning 4k into 72k I'll take any day! Let's hope it keeps going.
I only have 200... and bought for much more than you did...

But, I have traded them a few times... will have to calculate my total gain at some point in time...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #47

See, here is that pullback I was thinking about. Trading at $4.90 in pre-market, down 17% from yesterday close. I have not seen any negative news as yet but am looking. It could just be a bear raid or just overbought.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #48

I wish all who are playing this one out much success. I will be watching from afar.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I wish all who are playing this one out much success. I will be watching from afar.
You would be wise. This is what they call "HIGH risk"
Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsavesalot View Post
Ok, this is coming from a guy that doesn't do much trading but can accept some risk. I'm still wanting to kick myself for not listening to my Dad when Netflix was at $52/share about 3 years ago and he told me to dump $10k into it. I almost did, but thought it could tank. That would be worth $100k today.
Something doesn't seem right in your math. $52 -> $185 = 3.5x increase. How do you get $10K -> $100K, a 10x increase?
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Something doesn't seem right in your math. $52 -> $185 = 3.5x increase. How do you get $10K -> $100K, a 10x increase?
Didn't Nflx split?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #52

Wow, Endocyte was at $4.90 at market open and is now at $5.70

What an incredible stock if someone were to swing trade.

Hmm. Fermion, no! Do not do that.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #53

Can you buy sell buy sell etc on same day with the same money? Or does the trade have to settle over a few days?
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Can you buy sell buy sell etc on same day with the same money? Or does the trade have to settle over a few days?
You can buy then sell then buy but you can't sell again for 3 days. Well you can but get a risk of account locked from buying for 90 days if you violate that last sell. I keep enough cash in the account that I can round trip something like this 10 times or so.

I have been having fun btw on stock twits. I posted some of my buys when the guys there were bragging about buying at $5.20. I was buying when it was not cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buys.jpg (41.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #55

I have this on a post it note when my finger hovers on the sell button:

"Pharmacyclics’ little-known chemical, now a drug called Imbruvica, sent company shares soaring from $2 to $261.25 in one of the largest acquisitions in Silicon Valley"
Old 10-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have not researched this stock at all but the volatility described and volume for a small stock sounds like a pump and dump scheme. Two of my coworkers got caught up in these. They made money on the first one and lost everything, including the original money put in and a second deposit trying to double down when the next three stocks dropped in just a few minutes before they could get out. They lost $20,000 each they couldn't afford to lose and are still on the email and mailing lists of every boiler room out there.
It could be a major winner but I'd treat it as money spent the minute I hit the buy button.
beanctr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post
I have not researched this stock at all but the volatility described and volume for a small stock sounds like a pump and dump scheme. Two of my coworkers got caught up in these. They made money on the first one and lost everything, including the original money put in and a second deposit trying to double down when the next three stocks dropped in just a few minutes before they could get out. They lost $20,000 each they couldn't afford to lose and are still on the email and mailing lists of every boiler room out there.
It could be a major winner but I'd treat it as money spent the minute I hit the buy button.
Yep. I don't think it is quite the pump and dump you describe but the risk is so very high you could lose everything.

I am playing with house money right now (and still have profits) and I plan to keep it that way. If I do any swing trading I am going to start off by selling first, then buying lower.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #58

Ok, went down to $4.90 in morning and now at $5.90. That is it. I am selling another 2000 shares and swing trading this. I will buy them back next time it hits $4's.

I may owe back a lil bit of my ACA subsidy but should still be under 30,000 MAGI (I hope)

Edit: Ok, just sold 2000 shares at $6. Ouch. Probably owe $1000 back to ACA. I am going to swing trade it now in my Roth a bit.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #59

Not sure if you are courageous or on a gambling high there, Fermion.

But a fun ride regardless, thanks for sharing!
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Not sure if you are courageous or on a gambling high there, Fermion.

But a fun ride regardless, thanks for sharing!
Definitely the latter. What courage does it take to click a button.