Is Gold worth owning?

ther problem with gold is those who own it have these visions of being last man standing or buying their way to freedom .

the reality is more than likely the scenario's they picture will never happen and if they do the first time the gold is shown they get robbed or killed for it .

My only somewhat direct experience with gold is just that it is likely my wife would not be here if her grandparents did not have a lot of gold and silver to bribe their way out of Russian controlled Latvia into West Germany post WWII.

Could they have bribed their way out with 2% yield Latvian 10 year treasuries? Maybe, maybe not.

the issue with gold is some strategy's use way to much of it .

the allocation should match the percentage chance of the risk you are insuring against playing out .

something like the permanent portfolio devotes equal amounts to all assets when the chances of them playing out are anything but equal .

there is no question to date gold has been the worst investment in history .
many do not call it an investment , they call it insurance but for what it has insured against to date has made it the costliest insurance to have .
I call it currency, like dollars, yen, euro. I'd rather have an ounce of gold in my drawer than $1200 or the current equivalent of the others.

good luck with it . that gold would have been sitting for 40 years in that draw ,in this country, without needing to see the light of day .

but that is the vision that keeps those who like gold buying it . maybe one day they will be right but so far 40 years of nope have passed .

Last edited:
Running Man, thanks for your personal story and for sharing your investing philosophy. I agree that beating inflation (with or without gold) is all I need to do to STAY retired. I'm no longer looking for a "big score" - I just don't want to lose so much that I have to return to the w*rk force (or, more likely, change my life style.) Having a bit of gold has smoothed MY portfolio, though it's obviously not for everyone. I hope I never need it in the way your family did.

Fantastic story!!

Bought GDXJ back on 9/11/15 and its up over 11%. I think it has legs and may add some more.

Back
Top Bottom