Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

strobot,

As a side note; Wealthtrack, Consuelo Mack, has done several interviews with David and Tom Gardner. I'm not sure whether or not I can leave a link here but you can search for Motley Fool on her website. There is an excellent two part interview from 2018 that may (or may not) be of interest.
r3saving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used their recommendation to buy AcuityAds back in July and Iím so happy that I did. Iím up 300% in 5 months and the stock is taking off. There are rumors it could be the next TTD (The Trade Desk).
Old 01-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I went all in with MF in June. That was lucky timing as they are all over growth stocks, of course. I'm sticking with them again this year and my services will cost about 0.2%.

I know it's not for everybody, but I'm happy to pay that to let them do the work. I believe in their philosophies and their results support that.
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is interesting to read all the denigration of the Motley Fool stock Review Service. It is extremely rare to find a stock picker critisize an indexer as most people are probably not emotionally capable of proper investing in individual stocks, and the one thing indexing does is keep you in your stocks.
But the Motley Fool Stock Review over the last 20 years has outperformed the Vanguard Total Market Fund by 5X. That is not to say it will continue to do so, and Old Shooter will merely claim it is luck and impossible, but the ability to have an opinion on something that has not been attempted, or to fail and claim it is impossible is one of the greatest feats index investors have been proven to hold.

Claiming a stock picker selling that information must be a charlatan as there are no Nobel Prizes without even checking on actual results is an index investors dream job.

Meanwhile the Nobel Prize winners make hundreds of millions through investment advice for: Yes Index Funds! YES pay me .79% of your portfolio per year and I can optimize the portfolio to return better than the index!
Example: the Nobel Prize winners Fuller & Thaler have people investing 10 billion for a 79 million dollar annual administration fee for a fund that has underperformed Vanguard Total Marget by 70% over 10 years (200% vs 270% - if you invested 100K you'd made 100K with the Nobel Prize winners and 170K with Vanguard Total Market, (Fuller & Thaler fees were 790 million! oh how it pays to have a Nobel Prize) oh and if you'd invested with Motley Fool Stock picking service? You'd have 850K in profit on 100 K in the last 10 years for $99 a year or 0.01% of the portfolio. The only sure thing is it takes much less work to sell an index.

Here are the last 5 years returns on average on all the annual stock picks by Motley Fool Stock Review:
2016 picks: up an average 257% (compared to the S&P 500’s 75%)
2017 picks: up an average 108% (compared to the S&P 500’s 49%)
2018 picks: up an average 137% (compared to the S&P 500’s 30%)
2019 picks: up an average 70% (compared to the S&P 500’s 21%)
2020 picks: as of mid-September, are up 57% (compared to the S&P 500’s 12%)

ERD 50 says I should post this as a warning in believing anything I would post. I allocated one percent of my portfolio to calls for 2020 and then sold all my stocks on March 5, 2020. Returned back in on June 3, 2020.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #45

I do think it's an interesting service, based on the ideas I've uncovered by running their teasers through stock gumshoe.

I have a buddy who does use it and he's quite happy with it. I may have to look at it further.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:20 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just out of curiosity, how would you invest using MFSA? They recommend hundreds of stocks every year. Do you buy them all? And understanding that I know nothing about it, do they tell you when to get back out of the stocks?

Another question. Assuming you do this investing in taxable accounts, do those returns take taxes into consideration? If they are moving you in and out of stocks at short term CG rates, I'd be very impressed with those numbers. If they don't account for taxes, maybe less so.

I'm curious about this. If anyone has any answers I'll be interested in reading them. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:51 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mad money. At age 77 and with spending $ due virus lockdown started MFSA in 2020. North of 30 stocks and climbing. If they all go to zero not a problem. Plan to DCA extra RMD til I croak.

Since 1966 pretty much 60/40 until 1977 or so When 'Bogle's Folly' became available via 401k. 2006 went Vanguard Retirement fund for heavy lifting. Side money was dividend stocks and wild and crazy stuff like 'psst Wellesley' among others.

Heh heh heh - Since I can't take it with me any extra may go to plant more American Chestnuts on The Farm.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #48

It would appear that MFSA is a pay for service side hustle of Motley Fool. The cost is $100 per year. I tried to find out more about it this morning but have not been able to without signing up. I hate having to sign up for anything with a fee in order to find out the nitty gritty details, or even the most basic of info. Even if they offer a full refund after some trial period. Is it just a newsletter? Is it an investment club? Who knows how it works?

The way I look at it, if I were to try it out by investing $10,000, with "fees" $100 per year, that ends up being the equivalent of an 1% AUM. Not counting any other "fees" which are not disclosed before signing up.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
The way I look at it, if I were to try it out by investing $10,000, with "fees" $100 per year, that ends up being the equivalent of an 1% AUM. Not counting any other "fees" which are not disclosed before signing up.
True, for the first year and with that modest amount invested. Obviously if you invested $100K, that would be 0.1%. And, the fee is not at all AUM -- it's either fixed, or at least not tied to the account size.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just out of curiosity, how would you invest using MFSA? They recommend hundreds of stocks every year. Do you buy them all? And understanding that I know nothing about it, do they tell you when to get back out of the stocks?

Another question. Assuming you do this investing in taxable accounts, do those returns take taxes into consideration? If they are moving you in and out of stocks at short term CG rates, I'd be very impressed with those numbers. If they don't account for taxes, maybe less so.

I'm curious about this. If anyone has any answers I'll be interested in reading them. Thanks.
Motley Fool is buy and hold, they rarely sell. They're definitely not churning. I don't know about anyone else but I used them as a starting point for ideas then I did my own research. They recommend two stocks a month, I might have bought 20 of their recs in two years. I posted my results earlier in this thread. This thread has me thinking maybe I'll give them another look. For $49 it's worth the reading and the research is kind of fun even if I don't invest.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #51

Quote:
It would appear that MFSA is a pay for service side hustle of Motley Fool. The cost is $100 per year. I tried to find out more about it this morning but have not been able to without signing up. I hate having to sign up for anything with a fee in order to find out the nitty gritty details, or even the most basic of info. Even if they offer a full refund after some trial period. Is it just a newsletter? Is it an investment club? Who knows how it works?

Send them your email from one of their teaser ads and eventually they'll send you an offer for $49 a year. There are no other fees. Sure, if you don't invest much the fee seems higher. I had probably $200K-$300K in their stocks at one time. That makes my fee what, .0005%. And actually after that first year it was only $49 so half that. And since I still hold many of their stocks 10 years since I last subscribed those years I paid nothing. But I make my own decisions when to sell.
It's not for everybody, but if you use it like I did, strictly as a place to get ideas, then do your own research from there it can be quite helpful.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #52

One thing I wasn't crazy about MF at the time was they kept adding new services, Hidden Gems was one, then Tom G. had his own that he was investing his own money in, and I think a few more. Some stock picks crossed lines between the services but many didn't and I felt like was I really getting all their best picks anymore or were they holding some back for the various other services? IO have no idea if these are still in play or if they've even added more services. And each new service was more expensive than the last.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I went with their premium service, which gave me access to almost all of the portfolios and recommendations. That's given me small cap, micro cap, international, and many other exposures that I would never have had to this level. My portfolio is very diverse at this point. They also provide detailed allocation advice based on your situation and risk tolerance. My fee for the next six months is $2500. For that I get multiple daily texts and emails, detailed stock analysis (which I don't read, it's what I pay them for) and buy recommendations, plus the rare sell. My ballast account is Wellesley and it's more expensive, in my case, than MF Boss Mode, percentage-wise.

Betting on the future of things like telemedicine, AI, fintech, renewables, EV, SAS, and cybersecurity is quite exciting. The world is always changing but 2020 caused a step change, in my humble opinion. MF gave me the ability to get in on it.
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #54

So all that I get for my $100 "Stock Advisor" is a stock newsletter and emails?
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #55

Quote:
So all that I get for my $100 "Stock Advisor" is a stock newsletter and emails?
Yep
Old 01-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #56

That seems like a pretty good deal. Well worth it if you only got 1-2 good ideas a year from it.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I joined MF a couple years ago but did not renew. I got the deal they were offering at the time. After joining, it seemed like I was inundated with emails from them, but I would open them up and start reading and then find out I had to pay more to look behind this door or that curtain. In other words, a higher level of membership that they did not tell you about in the beginning. That turned me off and I quit opening their emails. It appears some people have done well with them but I did not like their business model.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

I joined MFSA a couple of years ago and have been pleased with the results. As others have stated they do bombard you with emails trying to sell their other services but you have the option to opt out of those emails. Basically they have a buy and hold philosophy and lean more to growth stocks with big upside potential. They recommend owning at least 15 stocks and holding them for 3 to 5 years minimum.
LHav61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #59

The video was interesting:

Basic Rules they follow:

1) Always compare yourself against the market, idea is to beat the market
2) Five Years is the minimum holding period once you buy a stock, you need to break the mentality to become a long term investor, 20 years is a good holding period.
3) Picking based on the management of the company and view of management over the next 10 years, not recent performance.
4) Most people should invest in indexes because they work for everyone, but everyone should own at least one stock and be willing to hold it for five years, good idea is to pick a company you admire and hold it.
ERD 50 says I should post this as a warning in believing anything I would post. I allocated one percent of my portfolio to calls for 2020 and then sold all my stocks on March 5, 2020. Returned back in on June 3, 2020.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #60
Confused about dryer sheets

Who is "MF"?