multi-stock quote site

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been unable to find a simple web site that can remember from day-to-day a list of, say, 20 stocks I specify, and show me the current price of all. I don't want to use a brokerage site since those typically require a secure login, and if left open in a browser such access becomes a security concern. I don't mind a quick login so the site can pull up my stock list. Do any such sites exist?

You can create a MyYahoo page that will track portfolios for you. You can customize the information, see a news flow for all the securities, get intraday prices with volume and such, and closing prices.

Yahoo, Google, and Market Watch all do it pretty well. You can even build your own ticker tape with the stocks you want that scrolls on your tool bar.

Use Excel

If you are somewhat versed in working with Microsoft Excel, this can be done in a decent way.

I am using a home version of Microsoft Office 2010. Not sure if there are more recent versions, or if there was a similar function in older versions.

Open a new workbook.
Select a cell where the upper LH corner of the data will appear.
Go to the 'Data' tab, select 'Existing Connections'.
Select 'MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes', and click 'Open'.
It should show the cell you have selected, click 'OK'.
Enter the string of ticker symbols that you want to look up. For Example 'VZ, CAT, MO, F'
Check the box 'Use this value/reference for future refreshes', then 'OK'
It will put in a table with a line for each of the stocks, and quote data.
Off to the side, I put a string of cells that point to the 'Last' quote in the table. Basically, the cell will say something like '=L13' At the top of this list, I put '=TODAY()'.
When you refresh the data 'Refresh All' up in the menu bar', all of the quotes should update.
Next, I select the column of data, starting with the date down to the last quote. 'Copy'
Go to a separate sheet where you want to archive your data. Select the cell to the right of the last date when you grabbed quotes, and 'Paste Special, Values'. This will paste the date plus all of the quotes.
If you are very conversant in Excel, you can write a macro to do the refresh, cut and paste with one button stroke. But this is not too cumbersome.
One page with the data you are tracking, another sheet for the lookup function. Or you could put it all on one sheet. I prefer to have my history on the first sheet, and the look up function on the second.
If this is all babble, sorry about that.

Fireball - thanks, that is cool, I don't use Excel much and didn't realize that was possible. Don't care for the formatting/colors MSN uses by default, so I'll study how to tweak that.

Do you have a Mac? If so, there is a dashboard stock quote widget that is quite impressive. Just press the F4 button on your mac and you got your quotes in your face.
27xq7w9.jpg

Press F4 again and the dashboard goes away. Put other things in the dashboard such as a weather app, a calendar, a clock, etc.

Last edited:
If you use Google Docs, you create a new spreadsheet and call price of any stock (and much more!) using formula like this for Apple: =GOOGLEFINANCE("AAPL", "price")

Back
Top Bottom