Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between 2021

Looks like the hedge funds are going to close out their GME shorts at high prices if this Reddit "attack of the Kids" makes it through Friday expiration. Other highly shorted stocks are being pumped up too (BB, AMC, etc).

I'd like to see my preferreds pull back below par so I can load up on some more.

Many funds that were short will have to liquidate other holdings to meet margin requirements. This could have a cascading effect on other stocks and fixed income securities. This speculative bubble will eventually pop. Just sit back and wait to pick up quality fixed income issues.

You guys sitting on cash may look to slide into TDE, I doubled down again as a hideout at $25.45 Friday. Compare to sister TDA its a 100 bps free ride, as both are past call. TDE is 6.875% and goes exD 2/12 and pays a few days later. So its accruing on to next payment already allowing for 30 day call notice which apparently isnt coming yet again.

You guys sitting on cash may look to slide into TDE, I doubled down again as a hideout at $25.45 Friday. Compare to sister TDA its a 100 bps free ride, as both are past call. TDE is 6.875% and goes exD 2/12 and pays a few days later. So its accruing on to next payment already allowing for 30 day call notice which apparently isnt coming yet again.

Thanks, will do! :)

Thanks, will do! :)

Aja, Keep in mind, just to make sure, the relative value in TDE is its current yield (until if or ever its redeemed) not any price appreciation. This is why it yields so much more than TDA because buyers wont bid it up over concern of a call notice.
Now if yields would ever shoot up it will be more price protected because of the current high yield it has in relation to sister TDA.

Aja, Keep in mind, just to make sure, the relative value in TDE is its current yield (until if or ever its redeemed) not any price appreciation. This is why it yields so much more than TDA because buyers wont bid it up over concern of a call notice.
Now if yields would ever shoot up it will be more price protected because of the current high yield it has in relation to sister TDA.

Thanks, understand.

Anyone have any comments on RPT Realty's cumulative convertible preferred series D preferred stock? It pays $3.63 annual dividend. Current yield in the 7%'s range. RPT-PD

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rpt-realty-announces-tax-reporting-211500758.html

The thing that I immediately noticed is that the price of this issue seemed to take much longer to recover than many other prefereds during last year's route. Personally, I'd have to spend quite some time digging into this issue and the underlying company before pulling the trigger.

I agree, Bob. The only issue I own that violates that is ABR-A which I trade a few times in between divi cycle and collect divi also. They just declared this week again, so Im good to go for another round of play.

I agree, Bob. The only issue I own that violates that is ABR-A which I trade a few times in between divi cycle and collect divi also. They just declared this week again, so Im good to go for another round of play.
Do you feel this should include CNLPL, CNTHP, and AILLL? As I recall, way back when this thread started, as a learning tool for myself, there was a reason these UTE's were unlikely to be called.

Do you feel this should include CNLPL, CNTHP, and AILLL? As I recall, way back when this thread started, as a learning tool for myself, there was a reason these UTE's were unlikely to be called.

Golden I tend to buy and sell and trade all my preferreds as they tend to move up and down in a trading range, so this is the lens I look through with my thoughts. This gooses returns significantly for me. The main issues with your preferreds mentioned above for me isnt the likelihood of call. Its the lower yield from price appreciation via risk/reward of a call at 20% plus above par price.
If AILLL would drop to $28, I would be back in, but would be right back out at $29.50.. Same type scenarios for CLP types. Connecticut regulatory agency stated in last filing 2 years ago, CLP doesnt want to redeem their preferreds. They grant the costs of them to be recovered so there really isnt a compelling reason to redeem. But I cant get any trading alpha on those at $60 and AILLL at $30, so I never own them at current prices.

Golden I tend to buy and sell and trade all my preferreds as they tend to move up and down in a trading range, so this is the lens I look through with my thoughts. This gooses returns significantly for me. The main issues with your preferreds mentioned above for me isnt the likelihood of call. Its the lower yield from price appreciation via risk/reward of a call at 20% plus above par price.
If AILLL would drop to $28, I would be back in, but would be right back out at $29.50.. Same type scenarios for CLP types. Connecticut regulatory agency stated in last filing 2 years ago, CLP doesnt want to redeem their preferreds. They grant the costs of them to be recovered so there really isnt a compelling reason to redeem. But I cant get any trading alpha on those at $60 and AILLL at $30, so I never own them at current prices.

Good to Know. The 4 I own were purchased years ago, around when I started this long running thread. (I own WFC-L as well). I acquired more of each when my Mom passed away last year, but hers were as old as mine. I haven't considered buying more due to the premium over par, so I just sit with these, and a 6-6.5% yield. As I recall the Conn Lt & Power would have to be paid out at a premium as well. If the prices came down I might add to my dormant collection, but I don't think they even came down much last March, so probably unlikely to happen.

I have a few hundred CNTHP , and while they are above par, they pay 5.7% interest.

This interest/div looks a lot better than it did 3 years ago, so I haven't considered selling.

I have nothing that I would buy to replace it..

I picked up some CNTHP last March for $52.10, should have tried for more but not much out their near the call price. I am slowly reducing my inventory of the Connecticut Light by have a standing offer to sell about 10% at a time at $62. If someone wants it that bad, I'm happy to oblige. Very close to selling out IPLDP that I picked up last summer at par and how has three dividends on this past call utility.

Are folks holding on to their WCC-A (WCCPRA) ?

I was looking at it's really gone up since July last year. At the same time it's paying out over 10%.

I'm thinking of keeping it unless others have another view

Nice! I need to keep an eye on it as I would love to get 500 around $49.50.
That's been moving a lot, relative to other issues. I got in at $49.98 on 2/4. Then a GTC at $52.75. it executed on the 8th. Got my hook back in the water. [emoji41]

That's been moving a lot, relative to other issues. I got in at $49.98 on 2/4. Then a GTC at $52.75. it executed on the 8th. Got my hook back in the water. [emoji41]

I may not get it at that price ($49.50) and if oil continues up, I may just pick it up under $51. It's worth keeping long term.

Are folks holding on to their WCC-A (WCCPRA) ?

I was looking at it's really gone up since July last year. At the same time it's paying out over 10%.

I'm thinking of keeping it unless others have another view

Sunset, You really have to decide if the YTC is ok for you, or whether you want to ring the capital gain bell. The YTC is something like sub 5%. And this may be fine as you really need to view this as a term dated issue. Company is already deleveraging and doing fine, so they will redeem first chance they can get most likely.

Sunset, You really have to decide if the YTC is ok for you, or whether you want to ring the capital gain bell. The YTC is something like sub 5%. And this may be fine as you really need to view this as a term dated issue. Company is already deleveraging and doing fine, so they will redeem first chance they can get most likely.

Thanks for pointing this out.
I hadn't thought of it this way, that my current rate is 8.7% but will lose $5.5 when called, so even at 4 yrs out, that really pulls down the YTC rate.

I bought EP-C back this morning at $50.1.

I've had my hook out for a week, finally got a nibble with 47 shares at $50.06. But still bait on the hook, will see what else I might catch. :D

Update: I kept getting nibbles and a couple hours later I pulled in my line with a full catch. With all the small fills the days low doesn't show my $50.06 purchases. Anyone reel in a lower price?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom