Reduced Stock holdings to 25% today from 50%

You only know if you have won the day you die. Then, well, you don't really know either. The game really never ends, you just get on and off at a time and place not of your choosing.

I was going to counter that thought, you know the usual "I have 2x the amount of cash I will spend over next 20 yrs in the bank".

But it always depends upon things being relatively normal, there are lots of countries where normal changed drastically, and anyone thinking they were all set had a rude surprise. (ex Pompeii, Communist takeover in China, Fidel in Cuba, Poland 1939, Syria, East Germans when wall fell, Russia when turned somewhat Capitalist).

Point being a person could have already won the game, and be good for years smug in that thought, when suddenly the unexpected happens and they are poor smucks again.

Back into the market today around noon, S&P @ 2025, ironically on the day Draghi is taling up more European QE prospects. Back at 50% exposure.Move proved I am a nit. It is much better for my portfolio here though!

I wouldn't say you were a "nit'. (Actually, I've never said anyone was a "nit"). You had an idea, reasoned it out, turned it into a plan, implemented the plan and followed through. You made yourself accountable. Sounds commendable to me. It seems there was no great harm done, so you still ain't gonna' work on Maggie's farm no more.

I hope that you continue to share your investment ideas, theories, plans, etc..

Last edited:
Back into the market today around noon, S&P @ 2025, ironically on the day Draghi is taling up more European QE prospects. Back at 50% exposure.Move proved I am a nit. It is much better for my portfolio here though!

I think you proved a very important point for all of us. Perhaps not the one you would have liked to have proven, but an important point nonetheless:

"Stay the course".

I'm glad that I stayed in and bought a bit more at the bottom. I'll remember this lesson the next time as well.

Currently with my portfolio I'm 50% right and 50% wrong 100% of the time.

But even when I'm right I'm only half right. I have vanguard VT for example, and not VTI.

Guess which one outperformed the other in the past 5 years :(

Well, it may be my turn to sell some, although I am not at my all-time high.

Sitting at 70% stock as I write this...

Well, it may be my turn to sell some, although I am not at my all-time high.

Sitting at 70% stock as I write this...
I'm at 71%. I sold some a few couple of weeks back at about this same level. If tomorrow is up I may sell some more. Getting cash out for next year.

For me, I want to free up some cash so I can buy back at the next correction. It's just what a market timer does. ;)

I wouldn't say you were a "nit'. (Actually, I've never said anyone was a "nit"). You had an idea, reasoned it out, turned it into a plan, implemented the plan and followed through. You made yourself accountable. Sounds commendable to me. It seems there was no great harm done, so you still ain't gonna' work on Maggie's farm no more.

I hope that you continue to share your investment ideas, theories, plans, etc..

+1. Please continue to share your thoughts with us, RunningMan. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on where the markets go from here, after the end of QE and after the election.

OK since several have asked I will continue to post here market musings when I find items that are interesting to me in the market.

"You assume that the people who study the market full time will produce superior results. But it's all mystique as the dismal record shows."
--Jane Bryant Quinn

Making predictions is always enjoyable and amusing, I make them myself all the time. Making bets on those predictions with your hard earned money is quite a different thing. Even if you win on black. Do you play black again? Or red? Acting on my predictions, especially in light of my previous success rate, and the success rate of others, is too much stress for me. Rather go out and enjoy watching the last hummingbirds of the season, and anticipate enjoying my next sunrise, hot morning coffee and my future travel adventures.

Making predictions is always enjoyable and amusing, I make them myself all the time. Making bets on those predictions with your hard earned money is quite a different thing. Even if you win on black. Do you play black again? Or red? Acting on my predictions, especially in light of my previous success rate, and the success rate of others, is too much stress for me. Rather go out and enjoy watching the last hummingbirds of the season, and anticipate enjoying my next sunrise, hot morning coffee and my future travel adventures.

The hummingbirds have left us already in North Carolina. Now we're stuck watching sunsets, the leaves fall, and the trees change colors. Infinitely more entertaining and infinitely cheaper than making bets on the stock market and trying to jump in and out.

The hummingbirds have left us already in North Carolina. Now we're stuck watching sunsets, the leaves fall, and the trees change colors. Infinitely more entertaining and infinitely cheaper than making bets on the stock market and trying to jump in and out.

Priorities. That's what I'm talking about. Success in the investment world is way too boring and simple for many of us to understand.

"You assume that the people who study the market full time will produce superior results. But it's all mystique as the dismal record shows."
--Jane Bryant Quinn

Glad I always read her Newsweek column when in my 20s. It saved me a lot do dumb moves.

I'm pretty sure the above is in regards to financial advisors.

+1. Please continue to share your thoughts with us, RunningMan. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on where the markets go from here, after the end of QE and after the election.

My guess is up and down a bunch of times, but up over the long term. :cool:

While I think US stocks are expensive on an absolute basis. On a relative basis they are still cheaper than bonds. If the market does rally past 2000, I'll start buying back in at 2050 to 2100.

I'm curious if you started buying back in today.

I don't think you're the only one. I am "buying back in" tomorrow, unless we open short.

I reduced some (70%) of my assets from old 401k's to vg MM when Running_Man surfaced his sentiments on 2050 at the beginning of this post. I pulled the trigger on an uptick on 1/2 of that (prob diverging, maybe not) from his plan he stated in the post...but I felt it was a great time to buy AAPL at $97 a share when it dipped. I will be buying back in with another 5%...although with the nice gains we had...that 5% is more money today...which is not a bad thing. I will DCA the remaining 30% through the January effect and into the beginning of next year.

I don't think you're the only one. I am "buying back in" tomorrow, unless we open short.

I reduced some (70%) of my assets from old 401k's to vg MM when Running_Man surfaced his sentiments on 2050 at the beginning of this post. I pulled the trigger on an uptick on 1/2 of that (prob diverging, maybe not) from his plan he stated in the post...but I felt it was a great time to buy AAPL at $97 a share when it dipped. I will be buying back in with another 5%...although with the nice gains we had...that 5% is more money today...which is not a bad thing. I will DCA the remaining 30% through the January effect and into the beginning of next year.
Good call on the AAPL purchase!

Thanks, Audrey. But how did you know that we just purchased two new iPhone 6's?

Lol. Everyone will be buying I Anythings this Christmas. Just like the past christmas, and the one before and the one before...

Someone else in the forum actually tipped me on AAPL just in time for the drop...said they buy everytime it gets to $90. I knew it wouldn't go that low again in my life (or at least for a while lol).

Thanks, Audrey. But how did you know that we just purchased two new iPhone 6's?

LOL!

DH refuses to take profits on the shares we bought during early 2013, when Apple got "beaten down".

Today it closed above a pre-split price of $800.

LOL!

DH refuses to take profits on the shares we bought during early 2013, when Apple got "beaten down".

Today it closed above a pre-split price of $800.

Hey, we bought it at about the same time: I actually bought it for the dividend (and hopefully a growing dividend--which didn't happen). I bought it twice, once with a dividend of 2.5% and then later a 2.7% dividend.

Oh, since we both own this here Apple Corporation, does that mean we're partners? (I think I saw your lips, moving saying "redduck, not a chance in the world we'd ever be partners"). I think I read that correctly. But, I won't take it personally.

Audrey, you need to be kind here--I just noticed this is post 1000 for the redduck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom