Santa Claus Rally for 2020?

Santa is smart and is taking a vacation for 2020. After all, he's a pretty old guy.

Santa spends most of his time flying around in the fresh air, which is a real plus for avoiding the virus. Check out the NORAD Santa Tracker, he barely spends any time in anybody's house.

https://www.noradsanta.org/

Besides Santa is either a Time Lord or good buddies with Dr. Who. How else can he get around so fast in time and space?

He will be fine.

In the Netherlands, Santa Claus (Sinterklaas where US got the name) lives in Spain. In November he takes his boat to the Netherlands full of Xmas packages and a bunch of African helpers. Packages are delivered on Dec 5th. Sinterklaas is dressed like a bishop (which he is St. Nicolas, bishop of Myra in modern Turkey) and rides a big horse across the rooftops.
https://www.whychristmas.com/cultures/holland.shtml

Last edited:
In the last 3 months value stocks have done better then growth. And small value has done best. I'd guess that trend will continue into December and January. Maybe a pullback for the full market in February.

Just remember you heard it here. ;)

I was talking about the pullback in February 2021, but I see you said “perhaps”.
Well I need an out. But I seem to recall a few markets where the previous year's exuberance gave way to some profit taking in February.

Seriously, almost all the real big moves have been in a few tech names in the large growth index. Just looking at it today the top 10 stocks in the VG growth index are now 47% of that index (250+ stocks there). The other style box categories are more balanced. It might be that pullbacks will be confined to large growth. Or those large growth equities just won't go anywhere.

Well my portfolio is rebalancing itself next month as my high flier equity growth funds are paying out large capital gains distributions. Ouch tax-wise but I’d have to trim them anyway. Good to take profits.

I heard someone on one of the financial channels talking about buying in any of the six days before Christmas can get you a nice return if you buy and wait about six weeks. The best day to buy is the day before Christmas. The chances were very high. Not sure I will buy anything, but interesting anyway. I have noticed that just before a big holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas, more often than not that stocks during that week will fall lower. I think it is because of so many traders not wanting to hold over the holiday.

I heard someone on one of the financial channels talking about buying in any of the six days before Christmas can get you a nice return if you buy and wait about six weeks. The best day to buy is the day before Christmas. The chances were very high. Not sure I will buy anything, but interesting anyway. I have noticed that just before a big holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas, more often than not that stocks during that week will fall lower. I think it is because of so many traders not wanting to hold over the holiday.

Hmmmm .......... time to remember "my rule" .......... there are NO rules !!

Pretty good end of year rally. Markets were selling off most of the day, but managed to turn around late, and then both DOW and S&P 500 closed at new all-time closing highs!

Last edited:
I will wait until tomorrow to total everything, but in round numbers, we were down 16% in March, and up about 14% to end the year.

What a ride!

Works for me. Any year I can end at an all-time high after 5 years of withdrawals is a winner, financially. The rest of it was not so good. Only the arrival of a new grandson provided a positive light.

Pretty good end of year rally. Markets were selling off most of the day, but managed to turn around late, and then both DOW and S&P 500 closed at new all-time closing highs!
Wow!!!! And once again, my portfolio (+ bank accounts) is at an all time high, and today I reached a milestone for the first time. Not gonna say what it is (probably less than some people might think) but it's more than I need or ever thought I'd have. :D

Santa Clause rally! Dow and S&P at record highs! Not to mention goodbye to 2020 forever! 'Scuse me while I get all happy 'n' stuff... :D

:dance: :clap: :dance:

Attachments

• Whee.jpg
    Whee.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 86
Answer to 2020 Santa Clause rally question - Yes. Time to rebalance.

Still have 2 trading days left in the Santa Claus Rally!

Can W2R jinx 2021?!?

One nice thing about being at the year highs on Dec 31 - I get to calculate my annual withdrawal on the max value for the year! That's always satisfying, even if somewhat arbitrary.

Back
Top Bottom