Signs the Santa Claus rally is ending!

Nah, stocks are going to do a late rally today and end up 150 points and Monday the market will be up 500 points after the government makes a last minute shutdown deal this weekend.

I don't think any votes are happening this weekend. Most members have left DC. So the next congress gets to field the punt!

Santa is drunk for sure and surely suffering a concussion from that parking lot fall.

I don't think any votes are happening this weekend. Most members have left DC. So the next congress gets to field the punt!

Santa is drunk for sure and surely suffering a concussion from that parking lot fall.

Not a vote, just a deal between Trump and top Democrats.

Santa is fine and the great fellow we all know and love.

Do we all not see who is behind this? - The Grinch! What a masterful stroke! He uses social media to play on our emotions, gets the news media to do their usual vacuous blathering on subjects they are ignorant about, and unleashes various half-truths (known as fake news today) to frighten those poor souls who don't understand risk/reward and how markets work. What a sly devil he is!

Relax. You have worked out your retirement financial plan and you have allowed for a few down years now and then. If you are still investing with new money, this is the time to get those higher returns you will need to pay for your future lifestyle.

I really only see and am holding on for another 3%-4% from this level. Will book my profits (hopefully, Jan 2) and hedge the rest.

Believing in the Santa Claus rally is marginal, right?

Saw the "machine dump" at 3:00 and have now hedged my stocks! Best of luck to anybody who is trading this.

Santa Claus rally/Bear trap/etc what ever you wish to call it, I am seeing signs of it's wheels coming off.

http://gph.is/1qTcK6P
The panic sellers that think the sky is falling missed on the run up of the Dow and Nasdaq from Dec 24 to present time. Buy and hold has been my strategy for last 30 years. Retired Sept of last year and never looked back. Not bad for someone who graduated near the bottom of my graduating class. Vanguard index funds. RIP John Bogle.

The panic sellers that think the sky is falling missed on the run up of the Dow and Nasdaq from Dec 24 to present time. Buy and hold has been my strategy for last 30 years. Retired Sept of last year and never looked back. Not bad for someone who graduated near the bottom of my graduating class. Vanguard index funds. RIP John Bogle.
That's nice, but did you back up the truck on 12/24/2018?

Don't forget: Buy, Hold and Rebalance.

Buy/Hold here too. First larger downturn that I paid attention to, but didn't panic or change anything, as my 5% rebalance bands were not breached.

Buy and hold regularly regardless of share price. My friends rebalance all the time because they do not see long term focus and generally miss out on the gains.

Wheels don't seem to be spinning, they seem to be getting some traction.

Nobody knows nuthin.

Friday Jan 18 2:30 ET... Dow is up nearly 500 pts. Congratulations to those who stayed the course.

A caveat from Market Watch:

The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +1.20% is up 4.5% over the same period, while the Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, +1.00% has logged a 6.8% advance.

Is it a reason to cheer? Perhaps it would be if not for the fact that the gains are the strongest since 1987, when the Russell popped 11.87% over the first 12 trading days and the S&P rallied 11.22%. 1987 is a year that lives in infamy on Wall Street.

On Oct. 19, 1987, the Dow sank 22.6% in a single session, marking its steepest percentage drop ever. That is not at all to suggest that similar action will play out this time around.

Last edited:
With all due respect the 1987 "crash" was a mere blip or glitch. The 1932-1954 or 1973-1982 time periods are of more concern. Hopefully the long term trend will prevail and it will work itself out.

Personally I feel that those in charge are doing everything they can to shoot ourselves in the foot. Never the less I'll stick to my plan and take what the market gives me.

With all due respect the 1987 "crash" was a mere blip or glitch. The 1932-1954 or 1973-1982 time periods are of more concern. Hopefully the long term trend will prevail and it will work itself out.

Personally I feel that those in charge are doing everything they can to shoot ourselves in the foot. Never the less I'll stick to my plan and take what the market gives me.

Big +1

Back
Top Bottom