Stairs up..elevator down

24601NoMore

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looks like we're back in the days of "stocks take the stairs up, and the elevator down".

"Funny" how we hit the 200 DMA (actually, I think we went above it for a couple of minutes by a few points), then the trap door opened very shortly thereafter. But, nah...TA is voodoo, and algorithms actually don't control market direction, LOL.

Sure, options expiration ($2T worth) was Friday. But today is probably more investors realizing the Fed ain't coming to the rescue, as the economy is in a world of hurt.

In fact, looks like the pain is just starting. 51% of large companies planning near-term layoffs, per PWC. Add in an additional 19% "considering" a plan to lay people off, and we'll soon be at SEVENTY PERCENT of large companies (as those are the ones PWC audits and surveyed) cutting headcount. Yikes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfr...nies-according-to-new-survey/?sh=5a49b9162fe0

I've been saying for a while now this economy is toast, once you dig beyond the surface level happy talk - eg "great" job report numbers. Looks like we're starting to see even more clear signals that any hope of a "soft landing" is a fantasy, as it has been pretty much every time before..

I probably got too optimistic hoping FOMO would take us north of the 200 DMA. Should have known better...ugh. Now we just have to see if the 50 DMA will hold. Probably 50/50 odds. And if we break that...look out below.

ETA - for those with many years to retirement, could be a good thing. For those of us IN retirement...not so much.

Last edited:
I guess if you're a trader these moving averages might mean something short term, but if you're a long term investor its just more noise to ignore.

Speculators buy the trend; investors are in for the long haul; "they are a different breed of cats." One reason that people lose money today is that they have lost sight of this distinction; they profess to have the long term in mind and yet cannot resist following where the hot money has led.
Edwin Lefèvre, Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

I thought the thread was going to be about trying to stay fit as the knees get creaky. Lately, I find that it's easier to climb stairs than to descend.

I thought the thread was going to be about trying to stay fit as the knees get creaky. Lately, I find that it's easier to climb stairs than to descend.

One reason is the staircase building code measurements. They are not designed for human skeletal engineering and how people walk up and down stairs. Knees should be kept behind the toes when walking up or down stairs. There is less overhand by the knees going up (taking stairs at an angle reduces knee stress even more) but going down the knees on the weighted foot goes quite a bit beyond the toes while holding up your body weight and that contributes to greater stress on the knees.
I have shown a few of my former student in A&P class that were having knee issues and pain while walking up stairs to the classroom. In every case they were surprised at how they could go up stairs without pain. Going down is more of a challenge due to the stair code that makes stair depth too shallow.

Cheers!

Badger, you are quite correct! Although I am not so far from the years when I could scamper both up and down stairs with no discomfort at all :blush:

One reason is the staircase building code measurements. They are not designed for human skeletal engineering and how people walk up and down stairs. Knees should be kept behind the toes when walking up or down stairs. ...Going down is more of a challenge due to the stair code that makes stair depth too shallow.

Cheers!

Talk about a dual-purpose thread... market/economic conditions and human staircase design. That's impressive!

I'm not skilled at working the market, but I can and will build better stairs. I appreciate the second purpose. :)

I've been saying for a while now this economy is toast, once you dig beyond the surface level happy talk - eg "great" job report numbers. Looks like we're starting to see even more clear signals that any hope of a "soft landing" is a fantasy, as it has been pretty much every time before..

I probably got too optimistic hoping FOMO would take us north of the 200 DMA. Should have known better...ugh. Now we just have to see if the 50 DMA will hold. Probably 50/50 odds. And if we break that...look out below.

ETA - for those with many years to retirement, could be a good thing. For those of us IN retirement...not so much.

Yeah, economies seem to turn on a dime. We are seeing some early warning signs already. DW works at a food pantry while we're on the mainland. Just since the start of summer, demand has exploded and supplies have cratered. I think it's gonna get bad, but I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy so YMMV.

Just a few days ago I was in a building well over 100 years old. The staircase was so steep one young fellow commented he should ‘rope up’ before going down. Also the steps were so narrow the ball of my foot partially hung out over nothing but air. Not so good for balance.

Stairs!

If you want to see and experience crazy stairs, spend some time in the Netherlands!

DH and I refer to them as “crazy Dutch stairs”.

Back
Top Bottom