Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

I think I might know the cause of the Game Bug that is causing folks to see multiple trades. Today, I purchased an additional 63 shares of AGNC with the dividends I had sitting in my account. Well that trade got executed three times by borrowing cash (which I didn't want). I believe the cause of this was I edited the order twice by using the "Change Order" button. The "Preview Order" button was selected three times, so I would guess there is some sort of memory buffer issue with the "Preview Order", especially when coupled with a "Purchase at market open" type order.

EDIT: The three trade confirmation emails I received seem to indicate I might be on the right thought process....

Last edited:
This is the first time in the contest when I'm all in. Can't buy any more even on margin. I tried. I think "buying power" isn't up to date.

f9qo9v.jpg

Two minutes before you posted the above (12:25 EST), the S&P stood at 2654.89.

About a minute ago, the S&P stood at 2467.13.

I guess the market doesn't work the same as Rock Paper Scissors.

Data from Yahoo.

ETA: It occurred to me that your industrial play might have done better than the index. Nope. You're in 29th, nunnun is in 5th.

Last edited:
Two minutes before you posted the above (12:25 EST), the S&P stood at 2654.89.

About a minute ago, the S&P stood at 2467.13.

I guess the market doesn't work the same as Rock Paper Scissors.

Data from Yahoo.

ETA: It occurred to me that your industrial play might have done better than the index. Nope. You're in 29th, nunnun is in 5th.

Translation ... Boho is getting trounced by nunnun even while the index is in correction territory :popcorn:.

Yeah, but looking at the results every day it's difficult to see what will ultimately happen because I'm often up more than nunnun on a good day (or good midday) and down less on a bad day. But overall, I guess it's the other way around. We still have to wait until the trade talks with china are over. That's what I bet on with the industrials.

I heard Jim Cramer a day or two ago saying we have to be ready for more China tariffs because of all the bad things China is saying. That's good news for me if I'm right. It increases the chances that investors are betting on bad results while I'm betting on good ones. It lowers the chances that the market is valued properly, if I'm correct.

Yeah, but ....

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

.... I'm often up more than nunnun on a good day (or good midday) and down less on a bad day. But overall, I guess it's the other way around. ...

You don't need to guess. Just look at the numbers. It is the other way around! What part of "nunnun is beating you with both hands tied behind his back" don't you understand? Apparently, you have trouble with numbers, all the way 'round.

-ERD50

You don't need to guess. Just look at the numbers. It is the other way around! What part of "nunnun is beating you with both hands tied behind his back" don't you understand? Apparently, you have trouble with numbers, all the way 'round.

I'm betting on the non-day trader sellers being wrong. We'll see in a couple of months. The day trader sellers will probably be buying back soon.

I'm betting on the non-day trader sellers being wrong. We'll see in a couple of months. The day trader sellers will probably be buying back soon.

And "How's that been workin' out for ya?" ™

-ERD50

Taking a look at the contest, as of this morning, I've crept up to 9th place :).

Four positions behind nunun and one of eleven folks still above the $1M mark at start of contest.

Where is Boho? Glad you asked. He's in 29th place.

Attachments

• contest.jpg
    contest.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 25
  • boho.jpg
    boho.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 18
And we could still have a shutdown, but that's about all. We're running out of things that could be bad for the market. The contest will still be on for the upswing and that's where I'll shine.

I think things are so bad in so many ways now that people are selling everything. There's bad news about tech today but I went down more than nunnun with my industrials heavy portfolio. I think it's largely randomness that's doing that. It won't stay this way.

I think I might know the cause of the Game Bug that is causing folks to see multiple trades. Today, I purchased an additional 63 shares of AGNC with the dividends I had sitting in my account. Well that trade got executed three times by borrowing cash (which I didn't want). I believe the cause of this was I edited the order twice by using the "Change Order" button. The "Preview Order" button was selected three times, so I would guess there is some sort of memory buffer issue with the "Preview Order", especially when coupled with a "Purchase at market open" type order.

EDIT: The three trade confirmation emails I received seem to indicate I might be on the right thought process....
Do you think it's possible to identify these transactions that are bogus? If so, what characterizes them? Can you find one or more examples, specific ones, that I could look at?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, and you don't need to bother, but given the loophole, and some other bugs, I'm about done with this situation. I mean, if a player can click a button five times, pay for 20 shares and end up holding 100 shares, and have that invisible to other players, I'm done!

I trust nunnun I guess. I'm still in. Anyway, any of us who want to see how we compare to an index could look at how the index performed, ignoring the other players.

Do you think it's possible to identify these transactions that are bogus? If so, what characterizes them? Can you find one or more examples, specific ones, that I could look at?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, and you don't need to bother, but given the loophole, and some other bugs, I'm about done with this situation. I mean, if a player can click a button five times, pay for 20 shares and end up holding 100 shares, and have that invisible to other players, I'm done!

That is the only one of mine that is bogus. All I did differently from all of my other trades was it was a "when the market opens" type purchase while all the other trades were made while the market was already open.

As far as free money, there wasn't any. I was charged margin on my account and am in the hole about $1200 now. The dividends will knock that out in a month or so.

I think things are so bad in so many ways now that people are selling everything. There's bad news about tech today but I went down more than nunnun with my industrials heavy portfolio. I think it's largely randomness that's doing that. It won't stay this way.

Well, if your predictive powers worked, you'd be in the lead, and not talking like this! Instead, you went out and leveraged on index funds right before a downturn!

But here's something you could do - calculate where the market would need to rise to for you to pass nunnun, and to get to #1 with your current investments and leverage. That would be an interesting exercise.

-ERD50

I have managed to make it to the bottom, even double negitive on the margins, i get email constantly about auto liquidation and nothing ever happens, I'm currently testing it to see what happens.

I've ordered things from Staples using my credit card and still gave them a throw away email address that I don't check. No way would I give this game my real email.

I've ordered things from Staples using my credit card and still gave them a throw away email address that I don't check. No way would I give this game my real email.
I have emails for things like this and forum

Well, if your predictive powers worked, you'd be in the lead, and not talking like this! Instead, you went out and leveraged on index funds right before a downturn!

Middle of a downturn but closer to the beginning.

But here's something you could do - calculate where the market would need to rise to for you to pass nunnun, and to get to #1 with your current investments and leverage. That would be an interesting exercise.

I was wondering about how likely it is that I'll just be able to pay off the margin, or whatever the term is. I plan on selling everything except IVV before the contest ends and probably within three months. I assume I'll still be behind nunnun at that time.

When I click the link to Sengsational's history page I get "500 Server Error Sorry, the page you're looking for is unavailable." No problem with Ransil and others. Sengsational doesn't have the most trades so I don't think it's a script timing out but it's still possible.

trying to enter at the mid-point here - but I keep getting "security not trading" - even when the volume is upwards of 1Million shares/day. What am I doing wrong?

trying to enter at the mid-point here - but I keep getting "security not trading" - even when the volume is upwards of 1Million shares/day. What am I doing wrong?

Many of us have had similar problems. You're not allowed to buy more than a certain percentage of the volume and your portfolio isn't allowed more than a certain percentage of any one security. I don't remember the exact numbers though. I've had unidentified problems too.

Many of us have had similar problems. You're not allowed to buy more than a certain percentage of the volume and your portfolio isn't allowed more than a certain percentage of any one security. I don't remember the exact numbers though. I've had unidentified problems too.

I tried several transactions today and last Friday, from 5000 to 10 shares. All failed.

I tried several transactions today and last Friday, from 5000 to 10 shares. All failed.

I had a problem buying DIA on 11/19/2018 that I posted about. I gave up. Maybe you're trying to by an odd security with a similar problem. :confused:

Buying in the middle of the trading day helps sometimes but it didn't help with DIA.

Back
Top Bottom