Join Early Retirement Today

Stocking Picking Contest - v3.0
Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I created a this thread for the new stocking picking contest which Spudd created. Thanks Spudd.

Figured better to have a separate thread than overlap with the Stock Picking (Beat Boho) - v2.0 contest.

Here is the contest link to enter:

https://www.howthemarketworks.com/contests

From what I see, contest dates are 05/02/2019 - 08/02/2021, with starting portfolio of $100K.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The player with the highest fish net account value wins.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 Agreed on the "fish net" phrase.
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

To Spudd -

Do you set the contest rules or are they fixed? Reason I'm asking is because during my initial trades, I went up against a position limit of $25,000. The limit might be right for stock pickers but I'm pretty much an index type investor.

For example, when I tried to simply buy 3 index ETFs to my desired allocations then be done with my picking , result was no-go as I can't have more than 25% in a position.

Ended up stuck with for a smaller % allocation that I really wanted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contest.jpg (67.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
To Spudd -

Do you set the contest rules or are they fixed? Reason I'm asking is because during my initial trades, I went up against a position limit of $25,000. The limit might be right for stock pickers but I'm pretty much an index type investor.

For example, when I tried to simply buy 3 index ETFs to my desired allocations then be done with my picking , result was no-go as I can't have more than 25% in a position.

Ended up stuck with for a smaller % allocation that I really wanted.
You can get what I have in Investopedia - SPY, IVV, VOO, and VTI. Which I think is three S&P 500s and a NASDAQ.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
You can get what I have in Investopedia - SPY, IVV, VOO, and VTI. Which I think is three S&P 500s and a NASDAQ.
Yes, I can look for similar ETFs, I suppose. But prefer not to if I don't have to.

I wonder why there should be a position limit at all. Perhaps for the integrity of a contest. In real life, I'd think if a person said, I want 100% of my investment in stock A, I'd think there wouldn't be any limit saying you can't do that. Am I wrong?
Old 05-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Been looking more into my predicament.

Hopefully, Spudd will read this and I can negotiate the contest rules. I created a test contest for myself to do some deductive reasoning.

I think Spudd's contest, isn't open to mutual funds as I initially tried buying funds instead of ETF's but when trying things got quirky as I'd click on the buy funds tab but the option would then go away.

On my test contest, I could easily set that to buy funds without a percentage limit.

Thus, I'm hoping Spudd can update the contest to allow for mutual funds with no percentage limit. Thus, this would not affect the percentage for stocks picking and I could create a lazy few index funds as the picks for the contest .
Old 05-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I just accepted the default of 25% max position size but I have gone in and changed it now to be 100%, so you should be able to be all in on one position now if you like.

Oh, andi added the ability to buy mutual funds as well. Let me know if anything else needs to be changed.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I just accepted the default of 25% max position size but I have gone in and changed it now to be 100%, so you should be able to be all in on one position now if you like.

Oh, andi added the ability to buy mutual funds as well. Let me know if anything else needs to be changed.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am ambivalent about joining this game, but have tentatively decided to do so. I am unconvinced that a third contest is necessary. The previous game clearly demonstrated what most of us already know - that passive index investors will beat the majority of active traders, and that the traders who outperform can't be predicted in advance.

On the positive side, my participation figures to require minimum effort, since I don't plan to actively trade. I just hope someone decides to play the role of benchmark by buying and holding VTI or some similarly diversified investment.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

I tried joining as Boho so I could be the index investor this time but it said I need a 6 letter user name so I tried BohoII and Bohotwo but I got the same message. And for some reason I was only able to enter one letter for my last name. And the box for my email address disappeared. I'd normally try another browser or changing a browser setting but it's not worth it.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I tried joining as Boho so I could be the index investor this time but it said I need a 6 letter user name so I tried BohoII and Bohotwo but I got the same message. And for some reason I was only able to enter one letter for my last name. And the box for my email address disappeared. I'd normally try another browser or changing a browser setting but it's not worth it.
Didnt ask for email, 6 letters got me in check for other errors, last name us only 1 letter. When i checked my profile email was listed as fakefake@fake.com
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Darts, anyone?
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I tried joining as Boho so I could be the index investor this time ....

Maybe should have used something like BohoSeesTheLight as the index investor .
Old 05-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Darts, anyone?
That's darts choice is tempting.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #16

I joined,but won't be playing as it will not let me trade the ETF's and reverse ETF's I would be using.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

If one wanted to win a paper trading contest isn't the best strategy to use leveraged funds and high beta stocks? Trading around earnings releases. (I did not create a login so I did not really see what this was about).
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
If one wanted to win a paper trading contest isn't the best strategy to use leveraged funds and high beta stocks? Trading around earnings releases. (I did not create a login so I did not really see what this was about).
Yes, if you care about that. No if you're testing a system you're thinking of actually using or one you want to test for whatever reason.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wonder if nunnun plans on joining and being the frame of reference again.

If no takers, maybe I can create a dummy contestant picking a total market index.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...