The ebb and flow of money managers ..

Totoro

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone noticed that money managers are getting more vocal and explicit about the returns they've made in the past years? Or is it just me?

My broker has a money management product, now prominently on the front page with returns. Hidden in the small print is that the posted returns are gross. Total fees .. 2% :eek:

Wonder why they weren't as active in 2008 :whistle:

Where the women are strong...

Perhaps they all grew up in Lake Wobegon.

You might be further amused by a study that was released in the business media here in Canada last week. Gasoline to the indexing fire...

Fund management performance in Canada has just hit a new low - The Globe and Mail

"""By at least one measure, active fund management in Canada has hit a new low.

A new report shows that the number of Canadian funds focused on U.S. large-cap stocks that outperformed the index over the past five years was precisely zero.

Not a single Canadian manager investing in U.S. stocks delivered higher returns than the S&P 500 index over that time, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.

“The numbers are ugly. There isn’t any other way to describe it,” said Dan Hallett, vice-president of HighView Financial Group.

“The S&P 500 is a much harder index to beat,” he said.

But, he added, “I can’t remember it ever being that bad.”"""

Entertaining indeed.

And yes: said broker doesn't advertise the returns vs. the S&P 500 of course.

Which they underperformed.

Of course.

Sounds like a lot of "ebb" and not much flow.

Yet people continue to chase performance, affirming the "there's another sucker born every minute" axiom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom