Join Early Retirement Today

The Tax Man Won’t Leave
Old 09-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Tax Man Won’t Leave

We are blessed to earn $300K annually on our investments. Retirement pension income is $180K. We are in our early 60’s. Our allocation is split 50/50 between bonds & stocks. At the rate we’re going it looks like we’ll be paying the higher tax rate on our IRA withdrawals at 70 after all. What am I missing?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You obviously expected to be in a lower tax bracket when you were retired which is the only reason why someone would do tax-deferred savings. The problem that you have is that you have been much more financially successful than you anticipated when you did that tax deferred savings. Congratulations and enjoy!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:02 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdL3 View Post
What am I missing?
What are you seeking?
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Making $480,000.00 annually was percentile 99.6% in 2016.
JT90505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't think you are missing much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:34 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We are blessed to earn $300K annually on our investments. Retirement pension income is $180K. We are in our early 60’s. Our allocation is split 50/50 between bonds & stocks. At the rate we’re going it looks like we’ll be paying the higher tax rate on our IRA withdrawals at 70 after all. What am I missing?
Well, you will have to wait a decade until you get to age for RMDs from your traditional IRA's. And you need to be charitably minded. But when you must take RMDs, you can make up to $100,000 annually of QCD's (qualified charitable distributions) to your favorite charities from your IRA's. Those QCD's will satisfy up to $100,000 of RMD's required, and the monies will go to the charities without you owing any income taxes on them. NOTE: QCD funds must be paid directly from IRA custodian to the charity. Those funds "cannot" come into your possession, and then you give funds yourself to the charity.

The beauty of QCD's is that Uncle Sam (and perhaps Aunt Governor) in effect underwrite a good part of your charitable donations! For those who have sufficient retirement income otherwise without IRA withdrawals, and who wish to give to charity, the IRA QCD route is a Godsend.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:03 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
:What am I missing?
A good tax accountant?
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Run the tax numbers after the first of you dies - ouch!
Old 09-16-2021, 05:09 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
But it only gets worse for one.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Alternative? Have far less money? Give a bunch away?

Clearly it’s a problem of too much pension income! Oh, drat! If only we had less!
Old 09-16-2021, 05:41 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

good problem to have.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You obviously expected to be in a lower tax bracket when you were retired which is the only reason why someone would do tax-deferred savings.
This. The conventional wisdom was that you'd be in a lower tax bracket in retirement. With "stealth taxes" such as IRMAA triggered by high AGI, and withdrawals from retirement accounts taxed as ordinary income even if they're dividends or long-term gains, that's not necessarily true anymore.

But who knew that when we were putting money away back then?
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:20 AM   #13

My parents often complain about their taxes in retirement, because the premise of 401ks and tax-deferred accounts is you'll be making less in retirement, and in a lower tax bracket.

Well poor them to do better than expected. Between savings, some pensions, SS, and now RMD's. They remark with some exasperation about how it's not true! They are making more now! Oh no! I smile, and sip my coffee, and let them finish, and wait till they start the rant again the next month.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quoting my DF "If I am higher paying taxes, it means I am making money. It's a good thing".

OP--you have done very well, congratulations. You have options that many people don't.
Charitable donations, Roth conversions, helping family.
Taxes are a part of earnings.
Live life well, be happy.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

You could, I dunno, stop working. Unless you really like it, have a very expensive lifestyle, or for some reason haven't saved up enough from your income yet.

Then you could Roth convert for the next decade or two (or spend some on yourselves).
Both of these will reduce RMDs.

QCDs, already mentioned, could be done by both of you, so $100K each or $200K total, starting at age 70.5. This would also reduce RMDs.

Oh, and RMD start age is now the year you turn 72, not 70. And the factors have been changed so the amount you're required to take out is a bit less.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

You're missing my address I'll PM it to you and take that pesky money so you don't have to pay tax on it. I'll be happy to pay the taxes
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You should have retired sooner?
Old 09-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, you could donate your entire RMD to tax-deductible charitable causes, that would keep your taxes somewhat lower .

Otherwise, as others have said, enjoy, and look on the bright side - your money will last longer than you will .
Old 09-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You're missing my address I'll PM it to you and take that pesky money so you don't have to pay tax on it. I'll be happy to pay the taxes
I will split it with you. First world problem wrapped up in a humble brag.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have always considered myself to be extremely fortunate to have been in the top incremental tax bracket for many years.

Would you rather be at the no tax or the lowest tax rate....and what that implies about your income

Be thankful for what you have.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote