Vanguard Dividend Growth ETF

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I purchased this last year and have been disappointed in its performance vs SP 500 or even O. My goal was to invest in quality stocks (aka those who grow their dividends) and harvest dividends.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

I purchased this last year and have been disappointed in its performance vs SP 500 or even O. My goal was to invest in quality stocks (aka those who grow their dividends) and harvest dividends.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

How has this fund done vs its large value benchmark? How has it done vs the SP 500 in other time periods?

Looking at this funds performance vs the SP 500 on a single year comparison isn't very meaningful Brat.

Why did you decide to bet that a div growth fund would outperform the SP 500, on a total return basis, going forward? Why do you think it should have outperformed specifically last year?

I prefer to own individual stocks for the div growth portion of my FIRE portfolio. The equity portion of my FIRE portfolio is dominated by Vanguard TSM. About 10% is individual high div paying equities most of which are buy and hold but a couple are speculative.

I assume you are talking about VIG. Compare it over lifetime of the fund 2006-present
and it beats S&P 500. It less volatile then S&P in both directions.

Here is a plot of the total returns of VIG, VFINX and VWINX since 2006, when VIG started:
+a0PTtP8P9d6JbBtvoDcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

VIG is a little better than VFINX over this time. I simply do not like the S&P 500. I do not trust large cap stocks as a single class. I also own VIG and I will keep it as a surrogate for the S&P 500. (I also have Wellesley--thanks, Uncle Mick :D--but I am watching for what will happen when bond rates rise.)

Attachments

• VIG VFINX VWINX.PNG
    VIG VFINX VWINX.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 28
The more I look about Vanguard Windsor II looks better than Vanguard Dividend Appreciation. This will be in a Roth which, God willing, has 15 years to grow.

DH is 76.

Back
Top Bottom