Vanguard Precious Metals VGPMX

gcgang

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Opinions on VGPMX?

Seems like a good way to get exposure to commodities.

Fund has recently started to turn up after several years of dismal returns.

What are your expectations for the prices of the commodities that the fund owns?

I expect them to fluctuate.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Well, I was in this fund for around 5 years, partly because I wanted easy exposure to gold. It was more of a reflection of the ideas behind Ron Paul's (yes, the old prez candidate) investment portfolio which had significant gold exposure.

Then I got connected to an IVA advisor who convinced me that a good portfolio for me didn't need any exposure in this manner. I eventually changed my allocation based on this advice (although I didn't go with IVA, sticking with largely Vanguard index funds), and sold all of this position, which has so far turned out to be a good move. I think it's a fine fund for what it is, but for now it's not for me.

why would you buy a precious metals fund?
I think the belief at this time may be that owning metals miners provides a hedge against other investments. However, this did not work in the last recession. The fund went down something like 70%. It does look like it should continue to tick upward this time.
There's a thread on GDX, an etf that follows similar companies.

Commodities? I'm still holding PCRIX. Vanguard has access to it for far less than than the $1MM sticker price.

PCRIX-PIMCO? With El-Erian's departure, who knows what's going on. Plus, it's stated expense is 0.74%, almost triple Vanguard PM, and it owns other PIMCO funds, which I think adds another layer of expense.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

apples and oranges... If you want exposure to PM only - do that. If you want exposure to commodities including PM, then do that.

Rather than a fund, why not exposure to physical gold and silver for some small part of your assets ?
Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My safe deposit box is already so heavy with gold I can barely lift it.

I do not have any gold but if one has trouble lifting their gold wouldn't that be too much? 10 pounds of gold goes for over $200,000 right?

Have to add this graphic, from Seekingalpha.
Commentary just after the graphic says, "This chart is the key to understanding why gold plummeted in 2013."
:)

Attachments

• 24047273_14075166803061_0.png
    24047273_14075166803061_0.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 25
Have to add this graphic, from Seekingalpha.
Commentary just after the graphic says, "This chart is the key to understanding why gold plummeted in 2013."
:)

I haven't the foggyist clue what that graph is trying to show...

Is gold the way to go to counter stock market cycles? Oil and energy shortages in the past have driven up prices and hurt stocks, but the energy sector soared. I'm sure enough that energy and commodity shortages will repeat that this is in my alternative allocation.
Gold soars as a safety haven for fearful times as in wars as I see it. Comments?

Whoever comes up with the correct answer to this question is worth their weight in gold. :)

IMO, the correct answer is no. It worked for Ron Paul (at least for a while).

Bill Fleckenstein (MSN money columnist), someone I normally read for his economic take, has been harping on gold for at quite a few years. But even he has cooled on it now a little.

What should be clarified about VGPMX, as well as what B. Bernstein actually advocates, is that precious metal equities shouldn't be confused with owning physical metals, or other commodities. Rephrased, VGPMX actually owns companies/is 100% stocks (not counting the few percent of cash it keeps on hand). It also owns some other non-metals related companies (like fertilizer companies) but still, actual companies, not raw commodities.

And as is well known by even novice investors, stocks have a considerably stronger long-term performance/track record than just precious metals commodities (bullion), or commodities in general. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that (successful) companies tend to have something called earnings and profit, and tend to actually make/supply things for consumers. In any event, stocks are a common core component of a portfolio. Commodities, if even owned at all, are properly referred to as alternative investments.

Precious metal equities were recently brutalized in the market, far worse even than the metals themselves. So if you like buying low, now may be your chance to overweight this sector of the Stock market. If you prefer Morningstar's groupings, its a subset of the basic materials Stock sector.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom