What strategy would have actually worked in early 2022?

music-and-ski

Recycles dryer sheets
I knew inflation was coming.

I read expert opinion that said real-estate is a good inflation-proof investment, because the rent from the real-estate inflates. But, I knew that wasn't really true, because I knew that when interest rates rose alongside inflation people wouldn't be able to afford housing unless housing prices dropped. It would have been better to sell the homes, and buy them back after rates went up and prices go down.

Of course holding bonds is dumb if you think interest rates are going to rise alongside inflation, their value drops when interest rates go up, and their coupons don't track inflation like real-estate rents might.

I thought that holding onto shares in companies that produce valuable products (especially consumables) would be good, because people will still need those products, and the revenue stream of those products would go up with inflation. But, all my stocks in producing companies have gone down too, I guess because of general fear and/or the yield rate has to go up (hence value down) to relate to the new interest rates.

I heard that having a lot of debt is good in an inflationary world, since it gets inflated away. I do have some mortgages.

In a general sense, with hindsight, what would have been a good set of assets to hold at the beginning of 2022? I mean aside from cash, which is dangerous to hold because it just inflates away in a high inflationary environment. I did cash-out on a couple of good investments near the peak, but I used the money to reduce my debt. Should I have kept the debt, to let it inflate downwards over time, and put that money into something else?

I tried to do the research in advance of the crash, knowing that inflation and interest rates were going up. But, with hindsight, do we know anything that would have worked? Hindsight is 20/20, but what do we see? I don't see anything that would have been wise, aside from cashing everything out, and hoping you can get back in at a lower price before inflation eats away all that cash.

In a general sense, with hindsight, what would have been a good set of assets to hold at the beginning of 2022?

Oil and energy stocks.

Going short anything. I am surprised gold has yet to respond positively.

I knew inflation was coming.

I read expert opinion that said real-estate is a good inflation-proof investment, because the rent from the real-estate inflates. But, I knew that wasn't really true, because I knew that when interest rates rose alongside inflation people wouldn't be able to afford housing unless housing prices dropped. It would have been better to sell the homes, and buy them back after rates went up and prices go down.

In the long run, yes, RE rent will go up with inflation. Same with RE value. But while interest rate is rising, mortgage rate will also go up, and that diminishes the demand for RE.

I thought that holding onto shares in companies that produce valuable products (especially consumables) would be good, because people will still need those products, and the revenue stream of those products would go up with inflation. But, all my stocks in producing companies have gone down too, I guess because of general fear and/or the yield rate has to go up (hence value down) to relate to the new interest rates.

Yes, higher interest rates make the dividend yield of stocks less attractive. And even good profitable companies will have their earnings reduced because of higher costs of supplies, labor, rents, etc... In the long run, they will catch up, but during the transition, they get pummeled too.

I heard that having a lot of debt is good in an inflationary world, since it get inflated away. I do have some mortgages.

Very true. As long as the incurring of debt is not to buy something that loses value.

But, with hindsight, do we know anything that would have worked? Hindsight is 20/20, but what do we see? I don't see anything that would have been wise, aside from cashing everything out, and hoping you can get back in at a lower price before inflation eats away all that cash.

You've got it. But holding cash long-term is no good. Trying to move cash to/from different assets requires good timing. It ain't easy. :)

Earlier posters mention energy stocks. This is true because of the peculiar present condition. I am not sure if it was true in past high inflationary periods.

Last edited:
Right now the winners are shorting stocks or bonds, oil, real estate (not REITs) and Ibonds. Real estate definitely has done the best for me, up about 30% with rental income, principal pay down and leveraged appreciation. Gold is roughly flat for the year. Crypto and high growth loss making tech stocks are the worst performers.

Going short anything. I am surprised gold has yet to respond positively.

I would have thought PMs in general. Of course, just because something makes sense to me doesn't mean investors agree with me. That's why I usually suggest people do the opposite of what I do.:facepalm:

I haven't made a killing on anything this year, like the foresight to buy oil stocks, but we will still have an up year. We had a high allocation to a TIPS ladder in case of high inflation and that is working as advertised now. We sold our international stocks early in the year because of the war, and moved the U.S. stocks to a dividend fund, which hasn't gone down as much as the S&P or tech stocks. We also sold all the bond funds early in the year and moved those to short term Treasuries. Those are only making around 2% or so, but it beats losing over 10% if we had stayed with the funds.

1. Buy a house with a large low rate fixed rate mortgage.
2. Buy oil and gas stocks
3. Buy selected beaten down, defensive drug shares
4. Short Cathie Wood or by the ARK inverse ETF
5. Sell all bonds and bond funds in favor of short term treasuries.

2, 3 and 5 were best to do 1st quarter of 2021.

Back
Top Bottom