Will you change your portfolio for "fiscal cliff"

Adjusting to the Fiscal Cliff is Important!

I have been reading conflicting reports on investing for the fiscal cliff. Here is one article.....
Retiring on the edge of the fiscal cliff - Robert Powell's Retirement Portfolio - MarketWatch.

Are you making any changes? I did put an extra $20,000. in my money market.

The key to whatever happens with the so called fiscal cliff is to adjust. Have you ever noticed that study after study has shown that the wealthy never pay more than a certain percentage of their income in taxes [mod edit]. What they do that is so important is they plan for whatever comes and take action before something sunsets or changes.

So for retirees that might mean simple things like maximizing your deductible retirement contributions to IRAs or 401k's (if you are still making earned income of some kind). This reduces your adjusted gross income and lowers the threshold for itemized deduction phase outs in the future.

In 2012. it might mean accelerating income to take advantage of likely lower rates, for example collecting on that amount you lent to your son with interest. It might also mean deferring deductions, if possible, until 2013 when they are more useful. For example, you could wait until January 1st to make any kind of mortgage or debt payment to have that payment and related interest count in 2013 (assuming that does not make the payment late and result in late charges or default).

It also may mean taking advantage of current tax regulations that are favorable to retirees. An example, it might make sense to be loading up on your medical costs in 2012 if you have a chance to meet the 7.5% of adjusted gross income floor before year end. This is because that floor rises to 10% in 2013.

It would also make sense for those with liquid high net worths to consider giving or estate planning before year end as the gift and estate laws are likely to revert back to prior tax laws and a $1 million estate and gift exclusion.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiscal Cliff Media Hype

I think the "fiscal cliff" is something to be aware of and for some individuals there are some steps that should be taken to minimize short term risks, but the reality is that for the most part this is financial media hype.

Not sure I fully understand this whole "cliff" thing, but I bought a parachute anyway. :facepalm:

We also cashed in some long term gains to lock in a 0% tax..

I know I have a lot to learn about finance. So, I don't understand how you can pay 0% tax on long term capital gains. Can you give me an example. Thanks

Try these numbers:

Single filer, taxable income $23k; of that, LT cap gains $5k. Because the marginal tax bracket is 15%, the LT cap gains is in the 0% bracket. The only income tax due is on the remaining $18k.

Jane, buying an investment asset then holding it for a period produces either a gain or a loss. Under the tax code, this is either a short-term or long-term gain or loss that results.

When it comes time to file your taxes for the year of the sale, a long-term capital loss is deductible, but the sum of all gains and losses can only be deducted to $3000 for that year. If the sum of all sales gains and losses is positive, taxes are due at the capital gains rate.

On the other hand, if the net loss was $10,000, then the remaining $7000 may be "carried over" to later years for another $3000 per year deduction OR for use as loss in calculating the capital gains tax due in the second year. In effect, capital gains are taxed in the year earned, less any capital losses that year and less up to $3000 of net capital losses carried over from previous years.

While Scrabbler is correct, I believe Bizlady was referring to her strategy of using a negative capital gains carryover from 2011 to offset the gain she will book from an asset sale in 2012. To extend the example from above, she might have chosen to sell assets with a 2012 capital gain of $7000.

More here:
Capital Loss Carryover Definition | Investopedia
Tax Gain/Loss Harvesting Definition | Investopedia

I know I have a lot to learn about finance. So, I don't understand how you can pay 0% tax on long term capital gains. Can you give me an example. Thanks

two ways I can think of....

1. Have enough losses to offset your gains.
2. Have a low enough AGI to qualify for 0% cap gains rate.

We also cashed in some long term gains to lock in a 0% tax. ...

Jane,

What I suspect Bizlady is referring to is that in 2012 if your taxable income is in the 15% tax bracket (or lower, so taxable income below ~$70k for married filing jointly) then the federal income tax rate on capital gains is 0% (whereas it is "usually" 15% or more).

Many of us are taking advantage of this 0% tax rate by selling taxable investments with gains, but being careful that we do so only to the extent that we keep our taxable income in the 15% tax bracket.

Just don't care anymore. Girls just want to have fun.

No. I don't plan on doing anything special for the cliffhanger.

Moved some equity to cash until the drama/suspense ends, remembering August 2011 all to well.

So did you go to cash or bonds? It does seem like a good time to get out of the stock market but doesn't seem like such a good time for bonds, they could take a hit. Based on avialable information about risk & return I figure on holding my AA since I can't figure anything better. I am 62 and my target AA is 60 stock/30bonds /10cash. It has worked for me, no idea about what will happen going forward.
I am about the same and plan to stay put. I think there is a good chance we could briefly go over the cliff leading to a big dip in the markets. But I am not about to sell equities now in anticipation of a dip because there is also a fair chance that the Hill will cobble together some sort of package before the recess and the dip won't materialize. If we go over and the markets fall big I will be more tempted to buy equities then, but I will probably just rebalance to get back to 60/40 and not push further.

Jane,

What I suspect Bizlady is referring to is that in 2012 if your taxable income is in the 15% tax bracket (or lower, so taxable income below ~$70k for married filing jointly) then the federal income tax rate on capital gains is 0% (whereas it is "usually" 15% or more).

Many of us are taking advantage of this 0% tax rate by selling taxable investments with gains, but being careful that we do so only to the extent that we keep our taxable income in the 15% tax bracket.

Actually. I really did mean 0 % tax on the sale. We are in a unique situation for a couple years with low taxable income until we start tapping retirement funds. While we do have some carryover, those in the 10 and 15% tax bracket pay nothing on LT capital gains throughout this year yet. Our limited income, combined with paying for medical insurance gets us to these brackets.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/no-capital-gains-due-for-some-investors-1.aspx

I didn’t do much except a few of things of the things already mentioned like taking out what I could from my 401K since I have headroom on the 15% bracket being single head of household.
I did have a slightly OT question/comment on the fiscal cliff (didn’t see any specific recent thread on it except this one). Without understanding all the details, mainstream media makes it to be the “end of the world”. While I sort of see the fiscal cliff a combination of tax increases and spending cuts, therefore a “forced” compromise between Obama/Dems and the GOP. What am I missing?

I've been selling VYM, Vanguard High Dividend ETF and buying VTI, Vanguard total stock market...

I hate to sell the VYM but the fact is taxes on dividends are going up no matter what:rolleyes: The VTI is just buy and hold index investing, VYM and gun maker stocks have been good to me....

Im only 27% in stocks though...

I accelerated income and taxes this year and moved out of the corrupt bankrupt Chicago suburbs to South Dakota and paid cash for "The Compound":greetings10:

I've been looking into getting into cattle ranching on a small scale here and possibly buying more grass land if it works out...

$12.00 for a ribeye steak is ridiculous, time to "Cowboy Up!!!":LOL:

I think it was John Templeton who originally said, the most dangerous words in investing are "this time it's different". I agree the "cliff" is media fodder.
But the larger issue seems real, the debt crisis.
After reading Reinhart & Rogoff's book, which uses those dangerous words in its title, this current time we are living in, the wake of the popping of the biggest debt bubble the world has ever seen, really is different. Not different from debt crises in general, but different from our lifetimes of direct experiences here in the USA.

If I just knew what to do about it....so I pretty much keep to my "normal" allocations, holding a bit more cash, added to real estate (bought my retirement home-not really an investment asset), searching for non-equity and non-bond correlated investments, pondering whether I should aggressively reduce stocks to lock in today's low long term cap gain rate (I've always been loath to sell winners and pay the taxes), and of course, trying to figure out why I'm confused about dryer sheets.

Last edited:
Actually. I really did mean 0 % tax on the sale. We are in a unique situation for a couple years with low taxable income until we start tapping retirement funds. While we do have some carryover, those in the 10 and 15% tax bracket pay nothing on LT capital gains throughout this year yet. Our limited income, combined with paying for medical insurance gets us to these brackets.

No Capital Gains Taxes Due For Some Investors | Bankrate.com

Same situation for me.

While article indicates that short-term gains remain at ordinary rates, I'm finding that I can still harvest a significant amount of short term gains at 0% tax because my exemptions and deductions exceed my short term gains and I had little other ordinary income. (Most of my income is qualified dividends, which is also subject to 0% tax as long as I stay in the 15% bracket).

I retired in May and have been procrastinating on adjusting my AA. I am adjusting from 80/20 to 50/50. I was heavy in stocks but they only represented about 40 % of my net worth. I think now is a good time to make the changes. The volatility over the past 12 years wasn't worth the 2% returns. Lol

Only about 62% of my 2012 income will be possibly taxable at the federal level. This is because the other 38% of the income is either qualified dividends, long-term cap gains, or muni bond fund interest, none of which is subject to federal income taxes (I am in the 15% tax bracket so the QD and LTCG are taxed at 0%). And that is before I subtract the personal exemption and standard deduction from the original, fully taxable income. After you take that into account, just over half of the 62% ends up getting taxed.

No change for me with the so-called fiscal cliff getting closer and closer.

Back
Top Bottom