Your 'Personal Rate Of Return' (Stocks Only)

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All of my accounts, 401-k, IRA, Taxable brokerage account, offer 'Personal Rate Of Return' information.

My 401-k is all mutual funds, my IRA & taxable brokerage account, contain a mix of individual stocks, funds, & etf's.

I wanted to see how my stocks alone, compared to the Dow Jones Industrial average & S&P 500.

I came up with the following.

Every day I take the closing percentage gain/loss of (only the stocks) in my taxable account, my IRA, the DJIA, & the S&P 500

Even if it was negative for the day, I highlight the best performer in green, & the worst in red.

The best daily performer scores a 1, up to a 4 for the worst.
After 5 trading days, I do a weekly summary.
This shows the 'total' return for the week & I highlight the winner.

I keep a running tab of the total points on the bottom.

Here's what it looks like.

**I wasn't able to highlight text, or use colors :(
Notice you have to scroll to the right to see the S&P 500

Disclosure: My brokerage account contains 20 stocks
My IRA has only 5 & is heavily weighed in apple (about 60%)
I was fortunate enough (for now at least) to pick it up in the the low 390's

Let me know what you think.

Steve

Code:
Best Daily Performer  Green  Worst  Red
Number Behind Daily Percentage Gain/Loss: = Days Standing. 1 Best - 4 Worst

Date              My Brokerage Account        My IRA              DJIA                   S&P 500  
08/02/13                  +0.15%   4             +0.85%  1         +0.19%    2             +0.16%  3
08/05/13                  -0.06%   2             +0.83%  1         -0.30%    4             -0.15%  3
08/06/13                  -0.41%   1             -0.73%  4         -0.60%    3             -0.57%  2
08/07/13                  -0.14%   1             -0.24%  2         -0.31%    3             -0.38%  4
08/08/13                  +0.23%   2             -0.52%  4         +0.18%    3             +0.39%  1

Week 1 Total              -0.23%  10              +0.19%  12        -0.84%   15            -0.55%  13

08/09/13                   -0.22%  1               -0.92% 4           -0.47%  3              -0.36%  2
08/12/13                   -0.02%  2               +1.92% 1           -0.04%  3              -0.12%  4
08/13/13                   +0.26%  3               +2.47% 1           +0.20%  4              +0.28%  2

Tab                            16                      18                25                   21

Last edited:
I just use MS Money and run a performance report for stocks only. Easy.

Ditto, but I use Quicken and could run and Investment Performance report and filter out all non-equity securities.

I use Quicken, but also maintain a daily spreadsheet. I save the prices at the start of the year and at the start of the week for each fund, so I have weekly percent gain/loss and year to date percent gain/loss. Don't really do much with the weekly numbers, though it does highlight funds that lagged or led for the week. The yearly numbers are a good guide for what might be down and good to convert into a Roth.

I never thought of quicken or MS money.
Used them both back in the late 90's, early 2000's

I didn't think MS supported the money software anymore.

Thanks for the input

Every day I take the closing percentage gain/loss of (only the stocks) in my taxable account, my IRA, the DJIA, & the S&P 500

What do you hope to learn by tracking daily changes and summarizing over a week?

I track my (all individual stock since 1993) portfolios quarterly in a spreadsheet, and summarize annually. More often just includes too much noise.

...Let me know what you think.

I think Quicken (or some similar software that can easily do investment analysis and reporting) would be a good investment for you (pun intended).

I have all my accounts defined in Quicken and download transactions every few days and run investment performance reports when i get curious as to how my investments are doing.

How my portfolio does/is doing vs the DJIA & S&P 500

To be more specific, you are taking an arithmetic sum of daily percent changes and performing a rank order sum which is a very different computation from most tracking software/websites. What does this tell you beyond what the standard calculations would give you?

I didn't post this because I thought it was the greatest thing since the wheel.
I just thought it would be nice to share it with others, who like me, don't use quicken or money.

I wanted to see how my stocks compare to the averages/indexes during different market conditions.

Since I started on August 2nd, the market has turned somewhat bearish.
My portfolios have outperformed both the 500 & DJIA.

If/when the market turns bullish again, I'm guessing I'll underperform.
But I want to see it myself, on paper.

Thanks for all the replies!

I also don't use a "budgeting app" to do my invenstment analysis. I do a couple of things. One is a quarterly exercise to calculate an internal rate of return. That has a significant amount of inaccuracy since the entries in the IRR calculation are 3 months apart, but it's just a "gee-wiz" number anyway...nothing actionable. The only thing that's actionable for me is to rebalance, so I just need to be able to see what my actual asset allocation is. I've got a screen scraper app I wrote that goes to all my sites and grabs the current balances by position. That, along with the allocations that are hard coded into the application gives me a very accurate AA I can see any time (but I usually do it monthly). If it's far enough out of whack, then I compose some trades to get it back in alignment.

Back
Top Bottom