2 days in san antonio on business...what to see?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I will be there with a partner and his wife...we will have from 5pm til?? next wed and from 8am til about 2pm thursday. what shall we do?

riverwalk?
alamo?

riverwalk?
alamo?
Yup.

Here are a few other suggestions - all downtown:

See the sights at the Buckhorn Saloon and Museum
Eat some Tex-Mex at the Mi Tierra Restaurant
Have a drink at the bar in the Menger Hotel, where Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Roughriders

And for something entirely different, check out Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Art Museum, about 5 miles north of downtown. It's in the garage behind Barney's house and you'll need to call ahead to make an appointment. It's a truly unique experience.

In an earlier thread I said:

But SA is so much more than the Alamo. There is, for instance, that huge saloon with all the stuffed animals right down the street -- it has a representative of every land, sea, and air creature... unbelievable. How could the Riverwalk not impress one? A visit to any of the Spanish Missions will, like the Alamo, quickly put life into perspective -- how lucky we are to be living today.

Saloon Cafe - Since 1881

I am a believer in taking a commercial city tour as a prerequisite to spending any time in a new city -- particularly one with so much to see and do as San Antonio. Let someone give you a "whirlwind" view of everything. Then you are better prepared to decide which things you want to do in a more leizurely manner without missing something important (to you).

I can recommend this tour:

San Antonio Grand Tours - Sightseeing City Tours in San Antonio Texas

i would suggest the missions as well. the major big ones being part of the NPS, and free to the public (at least they were about a year ago).

we are staying in a really neat hotel...the emily morgan...looks beautiful!

cant wait to check everything out

I double agree with REWahoo's suggestion you eat at Mi Tierra Restaurant. I've eaten there maybe 5 times and loved it. It is a MUST when visiting there.

If you are into zoos, I thought San Antonio's zoo was a really great one.

And, of course, you HAVE to take the boat down the Riverwalk. Cheap and an interesting little ride. My kid and I did it over and over once on a two day trip. http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/ourmembers/Food_Drink/index.asp The Riverwalk is prettiest at night with alot of little Italian lights all over.

Hit the flea markets for a fun experience, too. All in the same area and walkable.

Maybe REWahoo remembers the name of this place, but there is a locals steakhouse hangout that serves enormous, gigantic steaks that overflow the plate for a low price. In an old building. Ez to find out from a local.

If you are into this sort of thing, they have really good Ripley's Believe It or Not Museums there, also.

There is so much to do and see in San Antonio, you won't be bored at all. Great, great city I think. I'm envious now....

Oh, and please really read the information on the walls about The Alamo. So many people whiz thru it, go "it's no big deal" when it really is a big deal, but you have to really take the time to understand why it's a big deal.
They also have a good documentary we got tickets for cheap on The Alamo across the street from it. Was worth it to us.

Maybe REWahoo remembers the name of this place, but there is a locals steakhouse hangout that serves enormous, gigantic steaks that overflow the plate for a low price. In an old building. Ez to find out from a local.
I think you are probably referring to the Little Red Barn Steakhouse

we are staying in a really neat hotel...the emily morgan...looks beautiful!

cant wait to check everything out

This is really funny. My family went to S.A. to visit friends over 15 years ago and we stayed at the emily morgan. Great location. Walk to the alamo. lots of good places to eat, riverwalk. One thing in particular I remember about the emily morgan was that it had a stainless steel swimming pool. Have a great time.

I was there once for a professional conference. I spent several hours walking up and down the length of the river. It was very pleasant, with many interesting restaurants and nightspots. I enjoyed spending several hours visiting the Alamo. I also recall a big bar out by the train tracks that was quite lively.

what a wonderful city! I'd like to bring my wife for a 2 or 3 day weekend....i think we could entertain ourselves by the river drinking for that long if we tried

i love the architecture, history, etc that we've seen this far...we walked the alamo and a lot fo the river, did the boat, and a bunch of happy hours. i really like it here

I was in San Antonio at a conference last year. It was me and 6 women collegues. We went out to a place called Cowboy's Dance Hall. It was a cavernous building with a huge dance floor. Live music. A mechanical bull. And of course, decked out for lots of drinking. It's one of those Texas phenomenons worth seeing and experiencing. It's a young crowd but lots of fun if you are into that kind of thing. I am a salsa dancer and wanted to try Texas Two Step. Bring ear plugs.

What'd I miss?
The boat.
You partial to another part of texas?
Nope.

Although others have mentioned it, it has been a while since I pointed out that the state is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

Comments like yours and Ron Boyd's do a disservice to others who might consider visiting or, God forbid, moving here.

One of Anheuser Busch's Sea World's is in SA. Good clean tourist fun.

I went to a wedding there that was performed in the Shamu Stadium several years ago. With two orca's jumping out of the water at the "I pronounce you" signal. And the entire ceremony projected up on the big screen for all to see up close and personal.

Back
Top Bottom