2024 Travel Plans

In June we are taking a Viking River cruise from Avignon to Lyon and then the train to Paris for a few days. This is a trip we were going to take in 2020 but got sidelined due to COVID. Upgraded Veranda Suite and extra excursions. Looking forward to it.

Where does it stop? Vienne just before Lyon for the Roman ruins there I hope. The Rhône River is beautiful.

February to Spain for a month

October to Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas and a couple of nearby national parks; and then head to Los Angeles for 8 days Mexicans cruise

Maybe a couple of summer trips, we will see.

Just returned from Cozumel, so the first planned trip is
Sarasota in March
Beavers Bend w/DGD for spring break
San Francisco in April
Thinking about Chiapas, Mexico some time
Probably another Mexico Riviera trip
Wanting to do a road trip to Big Bend NP in the spring too.
These are a good start. We don't really "plan" as much as go when it makes sense.

I already have reservations for a long April road trip out to Sedona and Grand Canyon NP.

2024 Road Trips thread:https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/road-trips-2024-a-119449.html

I’m trying to gear up for all the detailed planning on a month+ Europe trip in June - Munich, Vienna, Prague, Dresden, Berlin, Copenhagen ending in Amsterdam where we have some important family events to attend.

Might try visiting Finger Lakes and Niagara Falls late summer.

Also might return to Grand Teton NP late Sept.

Gotta lotta work to do!

I really enjoyed Sedona and the Grand Canyon this past April. We stayed in Flagstaff, I really enjoyed that area too. Very nice part of the country.

We are going to Copenhagen in mid-August. Then heading down to Italy. Italy itinerary is Lake Como -> Cinque Terra -> Florence -> Sorrento -> Rome. The purple ones are new to us.

The reason for Copenhagen is because we could book round trip non-stop business class as the last economy flight this year was too hard on us. Within Europe economy will be fine. Yes, our age is encouraging me to spend more freely and pay for comforts.

Hat's off to those who do trip planning. It can take a lot of time but is rewarding.

So far I only have one 2024 trip planned. San Diego in February with DH for my 65th birthday.

Audrey, I have been to many of the places you mentioned and I enjoyed them all. This year I am staying in the states going to San Luis Obispo with a friend for a week and later in the year to Kansas to visit family.

We're planning:
  • Hawaii in January to visit DS#2, he's in Honolulu and we're adding on for diving and volcano in Kona.
  • Bahamas diving on the Juliet out of Miami in April.
  • Maybe visit DS#1 in Salt Lake City in May/June and see the national parks out there - I've followed the great thread on that topic here.
  • North Carolina wreck diving in June, mostly to prep for:
  • Indonesia/Raja Ampat Derawan Islands diving in August.
  • Maybe Cozumel diving in December.

We've already booked Socorro diving in Jan 2025 and Galapagos diving in August 2025.

Last edited:
Road trip through Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana
Ireland
UP of Michigan
Nevada

Feb - Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Vegas
March - Mammoth Cave, Nashville area
April - Total Eclipse in Missouri or Indiana (hotels booked at both, can cancel 24 hours before, waiting to last min for weather forecast)

April - France Paris-Lyon-Avignon-Nice-Monaco

Sept - Munich-Salzburg-Ljubljana-Zagreb-Istanbul

We’re going to Florida for three months later this week. Sounds pretty boring compared to all of you.
Celebrity canceled two Mediterranean cruises we had booked. So no other trips for me this year planned. DW is going to Ireland with her sisters in May.

So far two trips planned, January off to Belize on the water for 6 days, than 3 days in Guatemala visiting the jungle and Mayan ruins.

In the fall Croatia, island hopping the Dalmatia, and hiking the islands.

Croatia is a big birthday trip for Ms G. that was toned down from 2 weeks hiking Glacier NP. Yes 73 is catching up to me.

Road trip through Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana
Ireland
UP of Michigan
Nevada

All these sound good. But if you’ve never been to the UP, then I think you’ll love it. I’d never been, never even heard of it to be honest, prior to going. We really enjoyed our visit. Lot of driving, but lots of fun.

Really need to get my Pennsylvania genealogical tour together.

April or May we'll be in DC for a day or two.

Son is tossing hints about Spain.

Only 2 trips planned so far:

Jan/Feb India & Maldives
March Banff

Considering Taiwan/China or Italy in the fall?

DH & I are road tripping thru Oregon, the Olympic Peninsula & Vancouver Island for a couple of weeks early this summer to celebrate our 35th.

Nothing else major planned yet. DH isn't much for travelling (oh well) so I do a lot of stuff on my own or with a GF or 2.

I might finish backpacking the Tahoe Rim Trail later this summer, I've done about a quarter of it so far. I'll probably do the remaining part in 4-5 day sections rather than in one fell swoop. It helps that I'm only a couple hours' drive from the trailheads, so I can go practically spur of the moment. Timing will depend a lot on the snowpack this winter, but late summer - early fall is usually a great time, assuming there's not much wildfire smoke.

Last edited:
We have several camping destinations we get up with friends, have 4 already reserved, but pending health issues may trump those plans.
Word to the wise... If you can afford it, and want to go.... Do it while you can.

We're planning:
  • Hawaii in January to visit DS#2, he's in Honolulu and we're adding on for diving and volcano in Kona.
  • Bahamas diving on the Juliet out of Miami in April.
  • North Carolina wreck diving in June, mostly to prep for:
  • Indonesia/Raja Ampat Derawan Islands diving in August.
  • Maybe Cozumel diving in December.

Wow! That is quite a diving year (and followed by Galapagos in 25!). We only do warm water diving, and consider it a hardcore diving year if we hit 100 dives; you'll beat that with ease. :dance:

We were in Indonesia for a bit more than a month of diving in 2023. First time in at least 10 years that DW dove without a hood on 4 dives a day--water was bath temp, and the fish and coral were amazing. We didn't do Derawan Islands, but Raja and Komodo were great--to the point that we plan on going back for more.

Are you doing any land tours/hiking on Borneo as an add on to that trip? That was very worthwhile as well.

first trip and the first time with the parents.

Early May- Group tour with Overseas Adventure Travel- El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras. It happened to be the only time I could get a single cabin- timing not optimal given next trip, but...
<snip>

September- Baltic cruise, also with OAT. Six countries in 13 days plus overnighting in London on my own both ways- I hope that isn't too crazy. The ship is only 89 passengers, group is guaranteed to be 25 or fewer, and the small size of the ship will allow docking close to the port so you can explore easily on your free time.

I hope you share with us your thoughts on the OAT cruises. I am considering doing some smaller cruises in the future. As I age I find that I enjoy group activities more and more. And, I like the idea of just having to pack, unpack and pack once. But, I also don’t think a lot of time on a ship (no matter how fancy it is, how good the food is, how cheap the alcohol is, and how nice the deck chairs are) is that appealing.

I suppose I should just book one small cruise and see for myself.

Oh, how far ahead of time should one book a tour with OAT in order to have a good selection of tours and tour dates?

I hope you share with us your thoughts on the OAT cruises. I am considering doing some smaller cruises in the future. As I age I find that I enjoy group activities more and more. And, I like the idea of just having to pack, unpack and pack once. But, I also don’t think a lot of time on a ship (no matter how fancy it is, how good the food is, how cheap the alcohol is, and how nice the deck chairs are) is that appealing.

I suppose I should just book one small cruise and see for myself.

Oh, how far ahead of time should one book a tour with OAT in order to have a good selection of tours and tour dates?

The only actual cruise I've done (the rest have been land tours) was 4 nights in the Galapagos. I agree- ship time can be boring- but there were always morning and afternoon excursions so I never felt restless just sitting on the ship. The descriptions for the stops have enough "on your own" time that I'm hoping to be able to just wander around and explore cities with no planned itinerary. I do that a lot. I wouldn't count on it for a mega-ship because they're probably less flexible with comings and goings and may have to dock further away.

I book early (a year out) because they have a limited number of Single cabins on board. They do charge a Single supplement but it's reasonable. I quit using UnCruise, which I otherwise love, because the Single Supplement got too steep. Right now OAT is running a sale for $750 off 2024 destinations but I'm booked for 2024!

Currently in Auckland and will spend 3 weeks in the north and south then on to Melbourne, Tasmania, Cairns, and Sydney.

April - Mazatlan for the eclipse.

May - Porto, Amsterdam, and a week walking through the Cotswolds.

June - Ireland.

September - Turkey

November - Egypt & Jordan.

Lots of good ideas in threads like these. Haven’t been to Michigan’s UP yet and that sounds very nice. As the airline schedules start to open up we’re starting to think about 2025 already.

Back
Top Bottom