2024 Travel Plans

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I already have reservations for a long April road trip out to Sedona and Grand Canyon NP.

2024 Road Trips thread:https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/road-trips-2024-a-119449.html

I’m trying to gear up for all the detailed planning on a month+ Europe trip in June - Munich, Vienna, Prague, Dresden, Berlin, Copenhagen ending in Amsterdam where we have some important family events to attend.

Might try visiting Finger Lakes and Niagara Falls late summer.

Also might return to Grand Teton NP late Sept.

Gotta lotta work to do!

Had a trip to visit The Mouse House in May planned, but it got moved to September when DD informed us she'll be graduating in May; so we've had to change that trip to Cambridge, MA. Might try to get together with some family in Nashua, NH when we're there.

No travel plans at all: taking care of 90+ years old parents. Cannot leave them alone for more than a couple of hours. Early retirement has a pretty busy start this year.

No travel plans at all: taking care of 90+ years old parents. Cannot leave them alone for more than a couple of hours. Early retirement has a pretty busy start this year.

You're a saint, and they appreciate it...whether they say it or not.

Paris - Jan 15-31
Jekyll Island - Feb 23 - Mar 8
Viking Italian Sojourn - Apr 10 -24ish + Pre and Post
Silver Sea Trans Lant Lisbon Canary Is Ft Laud. - Nov 22 - Dec 6

And wherever else DW tells me to go

We are definitely conscious of getting older, so I feel obligated to arrange more travel.

I did that for 2023 and we had a great and really fun travel year. I also managed to catch up enough leapfrog in that I have the following planned trip all buttoned up before we leave on the next one. That helps but I have to get my butt in gear way earlier.

I’m the only one who does the travel planning.

January, Colombia, Ecuador.
February-March, Asia, Japan, Taiwan, China, etc.
April-May, Europe, Italy, Spain, etc.

2024 will be a year of heavy travel, plan to travel to more places than ever. I traveled to 16 countries and territories in 2023.

Last edited:
February - Thailand and Singapore

April - undecided but thinking of Malta and Sicily

Will probably do a couple more trips the rest of the year.

Hawaii with kids and grandkids in July for sure.
Other possibilities to be figured out.

We are definitely conscious of getting older, so I feel obligated to arrange more travel.

This.

Leaving in a few weeks for a 4 week trip that includes Singapore, Cambodia, and Thailand.

March has us camping at Pinnacles NP.

Early stages of planning for a 2+ month trip in the fall to Florence for language school and livello B1 exam towards my dual citizenship goal.

Heading to Switzerland April/May. Hopefully we get good weather. Then visiting family in Europe along with watching international hockey in Prague.

We had a trip planned to Switzerland for hockey in 2020, but we all know how that ended.

Debating between Asia - probably SE Asia, Thailand or Vietnam - or Europe end of June. I suspect Asia will win out, since we’ve gone to Europe the last couple of years and haven’t been to Asia since pre-covid.

I’ll probably squeeze in one more international trip, maybe to visit family in Europe later in the year. And a beach vacation would be nice too.

Oh, I’d love to visit Christmas markets in Europe, so might try to do that in early December, but that’s a long ways out.

Happy travels!

We're currently spending Christmas and the first week in January on the big island of Hawai'i. We have two weeks in a timeshare in Kailua-Kona, and will spend three days in Hilo. that counts as 2024 travel.

DS and I are spending a week at Whistler-Blackomb ski resort in March. DS has made friends through an online class and they plan to snowboard together on the mountains. I'll stick to bunny slopes and try a day of cross-country, snow permitting. DH doesn't want to come (never really liked skiing). My sister and BIL may join us. My niece and her husband were scheduled to join us, but she is now pregnant so...no.

The following week we are driving to Niagara Falls where we can see the solar eclipse and the falls at the same time.

In early May, DH has a music gig in Michigan, so we are driving there and spending a few extra days exploring. It will also be our 40th wedding anniversary.

Maybe late in the year I'll fly to Seattle to meet the new grand niece/nephew. We'll see.

We're going to try to schedule some European travel in the next 3-4 years, but not this year.

+1, that’s our MO. We’ll do a couple vacations on the East coast, fortunately we’ve done a lot of overseas travel so we don’t feel the urge anymore. Glad we did that while we were younger and working.

taking my son for a guys weekend to cancun late February/early march.

Cincy and Atlanta first week or so in April, then Chicago and Milwaukee in June. All baseball related (Lets go Mets).

will work a left coast trip in the mix at some point.

I've realized we need to travel more now, as someday we won't.
I also do all the travel planning, it weighs on me a bit as once I'm gone, I think DW will just stay in the local area & house :(

6 month RV road trip to western Canada, PNW, and the pacific coast hwy, then on the the Big Bend NP in Texas.

We are definitely conscious of getting older, so I feel obligated to arrange more travel. ...
+1 DW is pressing to get us on the road more while we still can.

Short term we are going to Japan with Road Scholar in April. We are on an itinerary for the semi-decrepit: No sleeping on tatami mats on the floor and no restaurants where we have to sit on the floor. I have done both on previous trips with no issues but many years ago.

Generally we are not cruise people but as we age/intermediate term we expect to do more river and very-small-ship cruising. Probably one or two trips with Pandaw (https://www.pandaw.com/) We took their Red River cruise in 2000 and really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
- skiing in Breckenridge next week
- Bahamas in February
- hiking the Camino Portuguese route in April. Also visiting Barcelona and the Azores
- Watercolor Florida in June with family
- taking family on all expenses paid trip to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs in early July
- 4 week trip to Alaska visiting all 8 NP’s in July.
- finishing my hike of the PCT by doing the Washington section in August.

Nothing planned yet after that, but maybe back up to Glacier and the Canadian Rockies. DW & I share the trip planning efforts. But it’s a heck of a lot of w*rk!

Already booked and paid:
- VBT barge and bike to Holland in April to see the tulips;
- Viking River Cruise in southern France in September with about 20 people from DC and Fl.
Planned but no commitment:
- Rock and Roll Hall of fame in early April and to catch the total solar eclipse if weather permits (hush, don't tell the Air B&B lady she could have milked guests for those days);
- A couple of weeks in the Outer Banks this summer.

Generally we are not cruise people but as we age/intermediate term we expect to do more river and very-small-ship cruising. Probably one or two trips with Pandaw (https://www.pandaw.com/) We took their Red River cruise in 2000 and really enjoyed it.

My goal is put off cruising until it’s the only way for me to travel away from home for a long period of time because I need many of the extras - elevators, cooked meals, no need to pack, checkin, unpack, pack, checkout…. Repeat, repeat, repeat…..

This will sound crazy- well, maybe not to this group. :)

Early April- a couple of nights in Chicago with DS, DDIL and the 3 kids- a one-hour flight from Des Moines, where they live. I've taken the 2 older girls before but this will be their little brother's first trip and the first time with the parents.

Early May- Group tour with Overseas Adventure Travel- El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras. It happened to be the only time I could get a single cabin- timing not optimal given next trip, but...

Late May- Travel with DS, etc. to Charleston, SC for a week. Financed by part of an inheritance from Dad, which has so far mostly gone to the 529s and to charity.

September- Baltic cruise, also with OAT. Six countries in 13 days plus overnighting in London on my own both ways- I hope that isn't too crazy. The ship is only 89 passengers, group is guaranteed to be 25 or fewer, and the small size of the ship will allow docking close to the port so you can explore easily on your free time.

I'm sure there will be another trip to Chicago- at least with the grandkids- and one or two to SC to visit my siblings. I've told DS and DDIL their two girls have more frequent flyer miles than they do!

Going back to MA/CT in late May-early June. Gotta do some freshwater fishing again in my favorite fishing hole. There's really no freshwater fishing on Oahu, save for one place--- and there are just too many hoops to jump through in order to gain access.

So, I'll buy the license at the familiar little town hall. Buy some gear at Dicks. Buy the worms at the same old place. I guess if I grab a channel cat, I'll just have to release him, unless someone close-by might want him. Staying in a hotel, no way to clean and cook the bugger. But it will be oodles of fun to get back there. See family, too.

Arizona in march. DW wants to stop at buccees in Springfield Mo so we’ll be driving.

Arizona again to visit friends moving there in April.

I suggested Key West, Bora Bora, Hawaii and a cattle drive for more trips, but DW doesn’t appear to be interested. Especially the cattle drive.

Amen to both of those (but it is DW doing our travel planning with occasional input from me)

We are doing a quickie to Vancouver later this week for four nights of dining (40th anniversary). Definitely off-season for lodgings, but it looks like high season for rain!

Then some family related road trips in Jan.

Feb-April is 10 days diving Fiji, 8 weeks driving/hiking NZ, and another 10 days diving Fiji. (Oh, and a few days at the start to see son's family in San Fran).

Next plan isn't until late July, when we have a week in MO for family gathering, then drive to Glacier for a backroads outing with friends, followed by BC wine country, maybe Banff, then over to Washington, Oregon, and Northern California for National Parks and, probably grandchildren again. Then home via some route. Probably get home sometime in September?

Thanksgiving, we have a house rented on the beach near Playa del Carmen to meet up with all of our sons and their families for the first time since grandchildren started arriving (3 years ago).

We probably will put another short, maybe a month, international trip in somewhere, if the budget looks reasonable after the Fiji/NZ trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom