A Second Vacation Home a Good Thing?

Just to take the other extreme (wouldn't want to let the LBYM overshadow the non-LBYM, would we? :LOL:) Frank and I actually briefly considered the possibility of getting an RV this afternoon.
And no matter what, a Class A is out of the question for us! :LOL:

Just a short 1st trip in our 26' class C confirmed that it is the right size RV for us. Save the class As for full-timers. This class C is about as big a vehicle as I want to drive around. Even so, its cargo carrying capacity of more than 2200 lbs is more than adequate for us. Think of all the toys you and Frank can take with you. Kindle, desktop PCs, Wii, or whatever, bring them all along.

It just occurs to me that I can claim this RV to be my "second" vacation home. Yes, it is now our turtle shell when we travel domestically.

I can afford it, but don't want it. Too much w*rk.

+1 I have a hard enough time keeping up with one house, much less two. There are other things that I would rather do with the oceans of time we experience in retirement.

I camped next to "Mr. Tweety" himself last year. Guy in his late 30's in a Class C.

There is something distinctly obscene about that nickname. Can you imagine being known to the world as "Mr. Tweety"? :ROFLMAO:

This thread has morphed into an RV thread, like a few others before this. It probably drives non-RV'ers nuts, but it's too late. So, what's another post?

About RV parts, I am just glad to have a local Camping World and another RV shop nearby to get parts without incurring shipping charges. Remember how it cost me $10 extra for shipping charge to get some butyl tapes because I did not know where to get it locally?

And what about this "Mr Tweety"? Never heard this term used among my friends, but then it must be just me who does not know all this colloquialism.

I can afford it, but don't want it. Too much w*rk.
Yes, it sure takes some work. I can't say that it is not something to consider.

However, "what does one do all day"? :LOL:

Some like to go to the gym. Some like to ride bicycles for miles. I work on my houses, my cars, and my RV. Keeps me out of trouble. Perhaps that's the reason I can't get rid of "stuff". They are there for me to have something to do. Can't travel all the time, you know? Can't afford that either.

This thread has morphed into an RV thread, like a few others before this. It probably drives non-RV'ers nuts, but it's too late. So, what's another post?

No problem, NW Bound. Most folks with vacation homes are a very open-minded and tolerant demographic, and embrace others from a wide variety of vacation cultures...:D

No problem, NW Bound. Most folks with vacation homes are a very open-minded and tolerant demographic, and embrace others from a wide variety of vacation cultures...:D

This is true - and many folks with vacation homes are jealous of rv'ers. Dw has nixed my rv dreams, but I'm planning a road trip in my Corvette from home outside of Chicago to condo in Scottsdale. Half the fun of a vacation home is driving to/from it.

This RV info is enlightening. At times they sound a little bit interesting to me but all of these mentions of the maintenance hassles make me wonder if owning an RV is like owning a boat. Once burned, twice learned on that. :)

This RV info is enlightening. At times they sound a little bit interesting to me but all of these mentions of the maintenance hassles make me wonder if owning an RV is like owning a boat. Once burned, twice learned on that. :)

That's because you are probably also comparing it to a "sticks & bricks" house... which we all know never have maintenance issues.

That's because you are probably also comparing it to a "sticks & bricks" house... which we all know never have maintenance issues.
What is really funny, is that I often hear RV fulltimers talk about never wanting to go back to the maintenance issues of a "sticks & bricks" house.

Well - they are probably talking mostly about the yard work. That can definitely be an issue in a house not on wheels. Depends on the yard size of course. House cleaning is also something that is considerably less work in an RV.

Getting away from yard work is a HUGE perk of fulltime RVing.

I would say maintenance issues on an RV are probably at best 2X the maintenance issues on a house, if you don't count the yard work (or the extra house cleaning).

Audrey

I would say maintenance issues on an RV are probably at best 2X the maintenance issues on a house, if you don't count the yard work (or the extra house cleaning).

Counting, of course, things like the gutter cleaning, furnace filter changing, window washing, painting, roof shingle changes, etc.

Both of my houses require little yard work. The low elevation house no longer has a lawn, now that my kids are grown. The high elevation house with its large hilly lot has 99% natural landscape with evergreen like juniper and pine trees. Little else can grow there, due to the harsh winter and extreme and unpredictable weather change. An apple tree I planted four years ago still looks very pathetic; its growth spurts last spring were frozen by a late freeze, and it decided to skip growing that year. No wonder nobody grows anything there.

A long post, just to say that yard work is not a problem for me.

I have long thought about a second home. For a while, I thought it would be the house my sister and I will eventually inherent from my parents. But that is about 700 miles away, and they have been convincing us that we should just sell it when they pass (hopefully in many years still...they are 74).

Then, when I was determined to FIRE at 52 (in 11 years), I gave up on the idea as detrimental to that goal.

But now I find myself in a weird position. I am a fed and have to work until 56 years, 10 months (my MRA) to get my health bennies. If I retire at 52, I lose the health bennies, which is a very big thing. I would probably be OK anyway, but that doesn't seem like a good trade off right now (I am very conservative when planning how much money I'll need). So, I will probably work until my MRA. However, working those extra years means not only will my health bennies be paid, but also that my pension will start as soon as I retire (instead of 8 years later).

Bottom line: I could basically stop saving now and be fine at my MRA. I won't do that, but it does give me some wiggle room.

So, I am thinking about a cabin in the mountains within 2 hours of DC (my home). We'd use it on weekends, let friends use it, maybe rent it out sometimes. We travel quite a bit as well, which we would continue to do. It'd be more of a weekend escape then a "vacation" home. We've started looking, and have a few areas we like - near golf for the S.O., mountains, bike trails etc. It's fun to think about, and a new path for us. I am excited about the prospect.

Cabin in the mountains sounds really good. Our Lake Cottage is about 2 hours from Toronto and functions as you are planning. It is "our favourite place in the world" as my DW often says. This need not slow your travel down. Go for it-as it sounds like you can afford it. Decide if you want a retreat (getting away from everything) or something with more to do nearby (eg nice little town, theatre, etc.)

kaudrey, I was in a similar position in which I was FI but had to wait in order to qualify for my federal health benefits and FERS pension. It is hard to continue working under those circumstances but the years will pass before long.

The cabin sounds like a good idea for you. Would you use it after you retire, too? That's always something to consider.

Every time I see this thread title--"A Second Vacation Home a Good Thing?"--I think why in the world would someone need a second vacation home--isn't one vacation home enough :) ?

In my single days I had considered an eventual ER lifestyle with two homes, a winter and summer vacation home. The idea was I'd rent each out one for the peak season (keep a week or two for myself) and live in the other one during the off peak. Something like a beach house and a ski house.

I have long thought about a second home. .....

So, I am thinking about a cabin in the mountains within 2 hours of DC (my home). We'd use it on weekends, let friends use it, maybe rent it out sometimes. We travel quite a bit as well, which we would continue to do. It'd be more of a weekend escape then a "vacation" home. We've started looking, and have a few areas we like - near golf for the S.O., mountains, bike trails etc. It's fun to think about, and a new path for us. I am excited about the prospect.

If you can afford it, of course you should do it! This will greatly enhance your enjoyment of your remaining w*orking years. Call it an investment in yourself. :)

W2R - I have run numbers both ways, but with health care costs such an unknown, I think I just have to take the safer course. The good news is that I really do like my job, and hopefully will continue to do so!

W2R/Danmar/meadbh - Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, my thinking is that we'd use it now on many weekends and then when we FIRE it could be our permanent home. Selling off the townhouse would give us more than enough money to pay off the mortgage on whatever we buy out in the country, so we'd be debt-free at retirement, as planned.

We are looking in areas that have cute towns with active communities - outdoor amenities as well as a little nightlife (a few good restaurants, a theatre etc.). We have plenty of cultural activities in DC, so the weekend place would focus more on outdoors and quiet time. I'm envisioning nights in the hot tub with a bottle of wine or gazing at the starts while sitting at the campfire (the first two things we'll do to any place is add a hot tub and build a firepit :) ).

W2R - I have run numbers both ways, but with health care costs such an unknown, I think I just have to take the safer course. The good news is that I really do like my job, and hopefully will continue to do so!

W2R/Danmar/meadbh - Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, my thinking is that we'd use it now on many weekends and then when we FIRE it could be our permanent home. Selling off the townhouse would give us more than enough money to pay off the mortgage on whatever we buy out in the country, so we'd be debt-free at retirement, as planned.

We are looking in areas that have cute towns with active communities - outdoor amenities as well as a little nightlife (a few good restaurants, a theatre etc.). We have plenty of cultural activities in DC, so the weekend place would focus more on outdoors and quiet time. I'm envisioning nights in the hot tub with a bottle of wine or gazing at the starts while sitting at the campfire (the first two things we'll do to any place is add a hot tub and build a firepit :) ).
Sounds great. When we were working the lake house served as a quiet retreat (like your hot tub idea) where we escaped our hectic lifestyle of the city. This lake house is quite isolated and very private. Now that we are retired and spending longer periods of time there we wish there was more to do (eg cultural/restaurants,etc). Either way we love this invironment and sounds like you would too. We are heading up there this PM and looking forward to it.

In my single days I had considered an eventual ER lifestyle with two homes, a winter and summer vacation home. The idea was I'd rent each out one for the peak season (keep a week or two for myself) and live in the other one during the off peak. Something like a beach house and a ski house.
We have something like this. Ski/mountain bike place in Alberta and summer lake place in Ontario. Also, have a condo in Toronto that basically serves as a staging point between the other two as well as international travel. This condo is right in the city walking distance to over 100 restaurants, etc and fun in its own right but is stating to feel like a hotel suite-only here for fairly short periods to deal with family, medical, travel, etc issues. Life is good.

Sounds great. When we were working the lake house served as a quiet retreat (like your hot tub idea) where we escaped our hectic lifestyle of the city. This lake house is quite isolated and very private. Now that we are retired and spending longer periods of time there we wish there was more to do (eg cultural/restaurants,etc). Either way we love this invironment and sounds like you would too. We are heading up there this PM and looking forward to it.
That sounds like our situation. Our weekend place is like getting away to a beautiful, quiet resort. But, if we can't afford both places, we will keep the less quiet place in the city, not the country.

This is true - and many folks with vacation homes are jealous of rv'ers. Dw has nixed my rv dreams, but I'm planning a road trip in my Corvette from home outside of Chicago to condo in Scottsdale. Half the fun of a vacation home is driving to/from it.

Why? Unless you insist on a Prevost, the typical RV costs less than a 2nd home (but of course the depreciation of an RV makes me cringe). About DW vetoing your RV plan :), I am curious to know why. It appears that you can afford it, so it must be because she does not care for the travel style?

My BIL wanted an RV too, after seeing ours. He is also an ER, and has the means. Sadly, my sister said no, and that was the end of it. :( My sister likes to stay in hotels, visits downtown areas, and goes shopping. We like to do that too, but also like to crawl into our turtle shell at the end of the day. A toad would solve that problem.

Have I posted here that I have a dinghy now? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom