Airbnb

So the nice things about these Homeaway/VRBO systems is you can create a template and just send the same thing out to many people with no effort.

BellBarbara -- Thanks for the tips. In person I'm a terrible negotiator but I can actually see myself trying this via email.

Yes, it's easier in email. I just tell them we are retired and on a limited budget. I am also sure to compliment their property before I ask for the discount. Make sure to tell them about yourself: I usually say: late 50s retired professionals, clean non smokers, no pets.

For example, we rented an adorable cottage in the Sonoma wine country - with it's own hot tub, fireplace, it was a studio.

I realize there are many rentals listed on many websites, and things do change over time...but it sounds like you liked that particular cottage. Feel free to send me a private message or e-mail with the place you stayed at so I can bookmark it when I eventually make it out to explore California wine country. :)

We retired earlier this year. Just returned from a five week UK cruise/vacation and missed our doggie! Also, we are interested in saving money. I'm not interested in staying in a home with owner, but we would love to start travelling with our small dog and renting a small apartment or cottage, which would probably be cheaper than hotels, and more dog friendly. Would VRBO or AirBNB be better?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

I just received an email (message) inquiry back from a VBRO house I was interested in staying at next month in mountains near Southern California. The email had the price and other information and was signed "Best Regards, Jane and Henry." Who according to some of the 23 reviews are mentioned as the owners. All very positive reviews. The problem is the email is through the VBRO messaging system and the subject line is "Hang Xu has replied to your message." Huh? Who is that? I went online to the county assessors site and it has two owners listed for the property, one being Hang Xu and the other another Chinese name. So I am guessing one of two things:

1. It's a scam or
2. They are husband and wife whose legal names are Chinese but use American names on VBRO. or
3. :confused:??

It is probably legit but there are other properties nearby so I don't think it is worth the risk.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just a quick follow-up, after rethinking this we ended up booking this place. The owner was very responsive and gave more detailed information in the email. They also gave us a great deal so we were able to enjoy a nice long weekend in the mountains. The only other hiccup was when they sent me payment instructions for Paypal the email said I would get a Paypal receipt with the company name similar to XYZ Imports but when I got the actual receipt it was G & G Industries. Other than that I received my full damage deposit back yesterday so all is good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm lodged for one week AirBNB now.

Pros- The host is an interesting guy and the other guest is a cute Spanish girl :)

Cons- The property is a little on the run down side

I realize there are many rentals listed on many websites, and things do change over time...but it sounds like you liked that particular cottage. Feel free to send me a private message or e-mail with the place you stayed at so I can bookmark it when I eventually make it out to explore California wine country. :)

Moore - sorry we were traveling. Here is the place. Def recommend it.

Glen Ellen Vacation Rental - VRBO 439707 - 1 BR Sonoma County House in CA, Fabulous, Private Cottage, Walk to Glen Ellen. Second House Optional.

To Deb-I haven't used air bnb, but on VRBO you can select filters to add and one of them is "dog friendly". On VRBO, there is usually a minimum stay, and the longer you stay, the cheaper the per day rate. Feel free to negotiate a lower rate with the owner.

For stays of one or two nights, it is usually best to just stay at a hotel that allows dogs. There are several websites that show pet-friendly hotels and there is a filter on tripadvisor.com for pet-friendly. Our dog's favorite hotel has it's own fenced in dog park. We like Drury Inns and Suites, so you might consider that chain if one is in the area you are traveling in. Some chains let pets stay for free and some have really high pet fees (like $100 even if you are only staying one night!). If you like B&Bs, some of them allow dogs.

Back
Top Bottom