Amsterdam

Thanks for all your suggestions. We decided to do the first couple days in The Hague (going there directly from Schiphol) and then four in Amsterdam. I have hotel bookings for both stays.
The attractions in The Hague mentioned here looked good, and we found the Escher Museum, which clinched it. (Audreyh1: There's a winter display with Christmas lights at Madurodam.)
If any of you have more suggestions about things to do/see, please continue to post. Thanks!

One of my favorite museums is the Mauritshuis in The Hague. Not only do I love the art there, the building is beautiful, inside and out. I felt like I was in someone's home. And it's not terribly huge and overwhelming like a lot of famous museums. Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam is my very favorite in the world.

Utrecht is also a nice small city to spend an aftenrnoon/evening in and is centrally located via train.

Last April we stayed at the Park Plaza Vondelpark hotel. We paid between $200 and $250 a night. It was perfect. It's about a block to the tram that goes past the museums on its way into the city center. You can walk to the museums in 15 minutes so I guess it's less than a mile (DH walks slowly). We often walked towards the city center via the park. Customer service was great. I found it using booking.com

Did Amsterdam get their airport issues resolved? There was a story in the news not too long ago about long delays on departure flights, showing people having to wait outside in long lines for several hours. Seems the main cause was employee shortages in all areas.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We decided to do the first couple days in The Hague (going there directly from Schiphol) and then four in Amsterdam. I have hotel bookings for both stays.
The attractions in The Hague mentioned here looked good, and we found the Escher Museum, which clinched it. (Audreyh1: There's a winter display with Christmas lights at Madurodam.)
If any of you have more suggestions about things to do/see, please continue to post. Thanks!
If it’s not raining, I would definitely bundle up and check out Madurodam Christmas lights. It’s a very cool place. Fairly convenient tram stop. I’m glad you decided to visit The Hague. In the summer they have a very nice beach dining scene but Dec that doesn’t sound appealing. Right, I forgot about the Escher Museum. We haven’t been there yet.

One of my favorite museums is the Mauritshuis in The Hague. Not only do I love the art there, the building is beautiful, inside and out. I felt like I was in someone's home. And it's not terribly huge and overwhelming like a lot of famous museums. Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam is my very favorite in the world.

Right - I think I mistakenly referred to that as the Maritime Museum in an earlier post. :facepalm: Mauritshuis is right next to the cool medieval Dutch Parliament buildings. Nice courtyard to explore at those medieval buildings.

Very famous Vermeer paintings plus Rembrandts and several other wonderful pieces at Mauritshuis, but not huge so it doesn’t take too long.

Agreed, Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam is very nice. And while you are there, ask a local how to properly pronounce that name. ;)

Last edited:
I went to an Escher exhibition in Florence over a week ago. Loved it. I didn’t know about the Escher museum in The Hague and will remember it for places to visit.

We all enjoyed the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. We ended up renting bikes in Haarlem and biking to the sea, to Bloemendaal aan Zee. That was fun and easy (mostly flat), but probably not an activity you’d want to do
in December.

For food/atmosphere, we enjoyed visiting Foodhallen. We were there during the last World Cup and it was a fun place to watch.

It depends a bit as to what you are looking for in your travels to Amsterdam. I have been going to the Netherlands for work for several years and I stay in the local city of city of Leiden. If you are looking for the "Dutch experience" with canals, small cities, food, etc. without the crowds of Amsterdam, Leiden is a great base. It is about a 20 minute train ride from Schipol so it is very convenient if you want to make day trips to the museums of Amstredam, plus it is close to the Hague and Delft. It might be too late for you now, but worth considering for the future. Just got back from there on Wednesday. Hotel was 150 Euros this week.

We have also very much enjoyed Leiden. Visited twice, one time during the spring tulip time (mid April) as Leiden is close to the Bloemenfeld. Last time we ate at a fantastic seafood restaurant. I think it was the Visrestaurant Crabbetje. The Botanical Garden is a real highlight.

Last edited:
You could stay in Leiden instead of Amsterdam proper. It takes maybe 20 min or so on the train from one city center to the other. And it’s about 30 min away from The Hague. If you get your transit card at the train station it will work on every public transportation. Leiden is a super cute small University town that looks just like the old town Amsterdam except that it has no tourists. It even has its own boat tours.

I stayed in Kimpton and then later in Holiday Inn Express in Amsterdam North. Some of the best new trendy restaurants are there and the one I couldn’t get into was Mexican, lol. I think Mexican food is a bit exotic in Europe.

If you’re planning to go to Van Gogh museum, book your tickets online ahead of time. The place is always sold out. I won’t suggest attractions but one thing worth checking out is Hema sausage. Something-wurst. National delicacy :). Hema is like Target in US but they also have fast food stands and that’s what you need to try. Another thing that is worth exploring are pickled herring sandwiches from street stands. Yummy.

If you’re planning to go to Van Gogh museum, book your tickets online ahead of time. The place is always sold out. I won’t suggest attractions but one thing worth checking out is Hema sausage. Something-wurst. National delicacy :). Hema is like Target in US but they also have fast food stands and that’s what you need to try. Another thing that is worth exploring are pickled herring sandwiches from street stands. Yummy.

Thanks for the tips. I had bought tickets to the Anne Frank House, but I didn't realize the Van Gogh tickets were equally hard to get. I just snagged the last few tickets for our preferred date. Plenty of availability for the Rijksmuseum, so I'll wait on those.

We just got to Amsterdam today. We are staying at the Marriott in Stadhoederskade. Husband claims it is about $250 a night. I should probably double check. Very nice hotel and great location. Do Not take the canal tour for the Festival of Lights. It was a lame light show with the theme of “imagination,” where you were told to use yours. Not a single landmark or neighborhood was pointed out. Very disappointing. Also, if I make it home without being hit by a bike, I’ll be very lucky! Otherwise this looks to be a very fun and lively city.

Reading this thread makes me want to go back to Holland for the next European trek. From there, go to Hamburg, then head north to the Scandinavian countries.

Saw Leiden mentioned a few times. I learned of the "Leiden jar" in school, but never knew where the place is located. Now, I have to pay the town a visit.

We just got to Amsterdam today. We are staying at the Marriott in Stadhoederskade. Husband claims it is about $250 a night. I should probably double check. Very nice hotel and great location. Do Not take the canal tour for the Festival of Lights. It was a lame light show with the theme of “imagination,” where you were told to use yours. Not a single landmark or neighborhood was pointed out. Very disappointing. Also, if I make it home without being hit by a bike, I’ll be very lucky! Otherwise this looks to be a very fun and lively city.

This reminds me that we rented an electric boat and explored the canals on our own. It was easy and fun. We even stopped at a cafe for coffee a long the way. Probably not something you’d want to do this time of year, but it’s a great activity if the weather is nice.

Here’s the place we rented from: https://www.amsterdamrentaboat.com

Reading this thread makes me want to go back to Holland for the next European trek. From there, go to Hamburg, then head north to the Scandinavian countries.

Saw Leiden mentioned a few times. I learned of the "Leiden jar" in school, but never knew where the place is located. Now, I have to pay the town a visit.

I went the opposite direction last May. A few nights in Copenhagen and a night in Hamburg before heading south. Hamburg was interesting with a rougher non-touristy feel. Copenhagen was wonderful, with good food - enjoyed trying Smørrebrød - and lots of interesting places to visit.

Definitely want to head back at some point. Didn’t have nearly enough time and exploring more of Denmark and heading to Sweden/Norway would be a lot of fun.

Ah, I think the travel bug is hitting me…

Oh I am so Sorry we just seen this , We always stay at the Royal Plaza . Nice little hotel with a fantastic breakfast . It is about 300 meters from Central. station right on Nieuwendijk the shopping area. Right now 139.00 night . If you go direct even less. I don’t know how long you are there but right around Christmas there is a super music show at the Paradiseo . It is somewhat an unadvertised show but there will be musicians from all over the world . Big Frankie , John Mayall, Carolyn Wonderland and bunches more . This is to celebrate Yurs 81st birthday . He owns a club where the likes of the Beatles , Stones. and Animals played … So there will be the best of the best . Go to the Old Sailor Saturday Netherlands plays Argentina there will be a party. Yesterday was Sinterklaas day , should have been the big parade . Wish we were there .

You know you could take a day trip to Brussels or Berlin . Both have huge Christmas markets. ..Train is easy Berlin is a hike but we have did it before . Brussels is easy . Neither one do you switch trains.

Back
Top Bottom