Antarctic Cruise

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I have been considering a cruise in and around the south pole/southern South America. Most cruises seem to begin in Buenos Aires and travel includes a Falklands trip.

Have any of you taken this trip? Seems very different than other travel that we have done.

It's a trip I would like to do. Probably not a huge industry so itineraries may be limited.

I have not, but I have enjoyed a series on the Smithsonian Channel called "Mighty Cruise Ships". One of the featured ships was the Stella Australis and it might be worthwhile checking it out as the itinerary sounds like it could be what you want.

I took an Antarctic cruise some years ago with my late wife. A few tears ago I took a cruise from Buenos Aires that called at the Falklands.
I have attached the stories and pictures of both cruises.
I am happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• antarctica2005.pdf
    445.3 KB · Views: 15
  • SOUTH AMERICA 2014 6.pdf
    246.3 KB · Views: 11
DW did a trip like this with some of her academic friends a few years ago. Chile -> Falklands -> South Georgia -> Antarctica -> Chile over several weeks on some old converted Russian research boat (with a Russian crew). Naturalists giving tours and lectures all the time. She loved it. Some of the seas can be rough down there though...

My dad and mom went. They were avid bridge players - so they played a LOT of bridge during the crossing. Their cruise was 1 way - ending in New Zealand... so they toured New Zealand after that.

My step mom and her former husband started an antarctic cruise - unfortunately, during a port day in Ushuaia her husband had a heart attack, and 2 days later, died in the local hospital. That was a whole different kind of adventure. She survived and a few years later fell in love with my dad... She never had any desire to re-attempt the trip. I don't blame her - and will give her an extra hug tonight when I see her.

It's certainly on the wish list.......really wanted to go 'round Cape Horn ever since I read Rosie Swale's book https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-...ldren-of-cape-horn-an-extraordinary-familys-/

Be great to experience the Roaring Forties in a very sturdy vessel.

(Most of the cruises we've "Ooo'd" over seem to be from B.A. to Santiago.....ah well, we bought a lottery ticket today. :D )
We cruised from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles on Princess. It was less expensive to stay on the cruise than to fly from Santiago to Los Angeles!

We cruised from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles on Princess. It was less expensive to stay on the cruise than to fly from Santiago to Los Angeles!

Yes....while daydreaming we checked out the costs of one-way flights to & fro out of Toronto...ouch.

I too have a short list of places in the world we haven't seen.

The Galapalos Islands would be one to see before Antarctica for me.

I too have a short list of places in the world we haven't seen.

The Galapalos Islands would be one to see before Antarctica for me.
Having done both, I would vote for the Galapagos. Other than standing ankle deep in penguin poop, it had no other meaning for me.
I loved the Galapagos, snorkeling, seals, lizards, tortoises, etc.

Back
Top Bottom