Any Travel Plans for 2020?

Well, we did travel, but it was somewhat of a disaster. To "Get out of Dodge", we booked two nights in a seaside hotel not fat from where we live. It was a great suite, with a large picture window looking at the ocean, and a private balcony where we could sit and watch the ocean, read, have a glass of wine, etc.
Unfortunately, the hotel was not air conditioned, and we had the misfortune to stay there when the temperature went up to 95 degrees.
After spending a extremely uncomfortable night, we packed up and headed back to our air conditioned home.

Next week we are going to Apple Hill for 3 days. Weekends are crowded so going during the week. It will be nice to enjoy the farms, outdoors and food. Staying at a Airbnb on a farm.

We did went to Universal Studio in Florida in August. It was interesting experience. Now, our travel is based on kid school schedule and kid interests. Can't wait for travel for myself.

I'm seen 45 states, and missing South Dakota, Utah, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. It's such a shame that it's so danged far to the Continental Divide with little interesting scenery to see--1300 miles. And flying to Jackson Hole is quite expensive.

Doesn't look like tourism in Europe's going to come back any time soon. I'm still fighting Ovago trying to get my cancelled airfare back from March/April, 2020.

We've just been hitting the Smokies and Blue Ridge mountains this year--almost staycations. Not many places in the U.S. we really care to see any more. It's part of getting old.

I'm seen 45 states, and missing South Dakota, Utah, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. It's such a shame that it's so danged far to the Continental Divide with little interesting scenery to see

I think you might be surprised. We took a trip to western Montana from Kentucky in July for an event, so it was three days out, three days there, and three days back home. You might think that wasn't worthwhile, but DW, who had never been out that way before, just said the other day that she wants to go back there, because "there were so many things along the way that I'd like to take the time to explore."

I've been to all 50 states and there are things in all of them that I'd like to visit again, in addition to the places I haven't been to that I'd like to see for the first time.

Found an interesting list of countries that Americans can travel to now, where they actually want the tourists and don't require the testing or quarantines.

• Mexico (fly in only, borders not open yet)
  • Dominican Republic
  • Brazil (and a bonus is that visas are no longer required)
  • Turkey
  • Malta
  • Belarus (temperature check required at entry)
  • Serbia
  • Albania (temperature check required at entry)
  • North Macedonia
  • Zambia
  • Tanzania

Of course, you have to be aware that some of these countries are experiencing high infection rates, so that's a significant issue. Also, a few require visas, but they are inexpensive and can be obtained either online or upon arrival.

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/no-test-required-11-countries-americans-can-easily-travel-to-right-now?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=

Ecuador is open as well. As an American you need to have tested negative within the last 10 days ( I believe Galapagos has a seperate policy). My Wife is headed there tomorrow.

Colombia is also open to Americans with a covid test within 96 hrs of landing. Be aware that in SA land borders are still closed, so must travel by air from one country to the next. While Peru is open to certain Intl flights, generally Americans are not allowed in country.

Last edited:
To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I'm not sure I'd want to travel to any country that would let me in! (At least, not without a test and/or a quarantine period.)

I contacted my CC company and disputed the cancelled airfare we bought in November and received a credit for the entire amount.

I just booked travel from LAX to FLL today leaving on Sunday. I have to check on our condo. The first class return ticket was just $768 return which is the lowest I every paid for this class of service to Florida. The outbound flight is on a 787 Dreamliner with pod seating. One has to wonder why they are flying large empty planes?

I'm keeping an eye on tickets to HI, but over 6hrs in a concealed airframe with unknowns is still a little like...meh, maybe I'll just suffer through a winter and drive to the rockies to ski by myself. Even that is a slight risk being in Gondola's with strangers. What to do. Fam doesn't want me either, too dangerous all work in healthcare or scared.

Miiiight head down to the Gulf Coast, W2Rs neckudawoods. Eat some gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish and po-boys and just space out for a bit. TONS of time off, just no where to go. Rolling vacation time over for the first time ever.

I'm seen 45 states, and missing South Dakota, Utah, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. It's such a shame that it's so danged far to the Continental Divide with little interesting scenery to see--1300 miles. And flying to Jackson Hole is quite expensive...

All I will say is that you are missing a LOT.

I'm seen 45 states, and missing South Dakota, Utah, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. It's such a shame that it's so danged far to the Continental Divide with little interesting scenery to see--1300 miles. And flying to Jackson Hole is quite expensive.

Doesn't look like tourism in Europe's going to come back any time soon. I'm still fighting Ovago trying to get my cancelled airfare back from March/April, 2020.

We've just been hitting the Smokies and Blue Ridge mountains this year--almost staycations. Not many places in the U.S. we really care to see any more. It's part of getting old.
Fly to Salt Lake City and rent a car. That's what we did last year. Then we drove up to Grand Tetons. Spent a night a Bear Lake in Idaho so we didn't have to drive so much in a day. Went on to Yellowstone, then up into Montana (Billings and the Little Bighorn Battlefield), dipped down into Wyoming (Sheridan and the Bighorn Mountains, and Devils Tower), then over to the Black Hills. Flew home from Rapid City, SD. Took us two weeks.

I just flew on Sunday from LAX to FLL on American Airlines on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. It was one of the most depressing experiences. I had to check on our condo in Florida. My wife elected not to go. The flight left from the Bradley International terminal at LAX. The terminal was practically void of human life. I flew first class but other than the pod seating which was nice, there was no first class service. The normal hot meal and beverage service that we enjoyed back in December 2019 and February 2020 was gone. They now hand out a sandwich wrapped in plastic. Economy passengers don't even get that. I wore a N95 mask knowing that American airline is notorious for filling up their planes even during this pandemic. The flight was almost full. In first class they sold all 30 seats. The $768 I paid for a return first class ticket purchased less than 48 hours may explain how they are filling up these flights. The economy fare would have been $149 return plus luggage fees. Wearing a mask for hours is not a pleasant experience. I certainly wouldn't want to do it on an 11 to 14 hour overseas flight. Fort Lauderdale airport was even more depressing. I was in the group the that left the plane first and noticed that there were more airport workers than people waiting for flights. The lack of cruises is really hurting the airport traffic at Fort Lauderdale.

There is a silver lining to all this. There is very little waiting. Check in is fast and easy. There is very little waiting at security. The plane departed early and there were no queues to take off or land. There were no loud mouth passengers and in fact very few were talking. The rental car was there waiting without any delays. Traffic leaving the airport was light.

I told my wife that there is no point in traveling by airplane unless you absolutely need to.

YW just flew RDU-ATL-MIA-GYE-UIO-LIM on Delta/Ameican/Latam. It was a 36 hr ordeal that required masking the entire time. Delta flights are the best as the middle seat is left open, American packs them in like sardines and Latam was in the middle as far as comfort and space. We are planning a Dec trip up to the USA if the Peruvian govt allows direct flights by then.

It may sound a little crazy, but I just returned from Orlando and Walt Disney World. We wore masks all day for four days, I did two Disney parks. Rides are open, but not much food or other shops. Just enough to get by. We stayed in a nice AirBNB and flew Delta, which was a good experience. I went with my son's family otherwise I would not have gone. Disney did a really good job with temp checks, masks, and social distancing, but it was pretty sad. I did enjoy my time with the kids and we rode quite a few rides.

I am planning a train/car trip to Florida. Planning to take the auto train from here in Northern Va to Florida, then drive to check out some nice beaches. It looks like Key West (a fun location but not great beaches) is 6-7 hours from Sanford, FL where the train ride ends. So everything else is closer including Siesta Key, From Myers/Sanibel, Florida panhandle (yes I know they had a hurricane but most beaches probably fine, etc.), St.. Augustine, Jacksonville, etc.

I would welcome any ideas on beach selection. This would be in the next few weeks.

Tiger Tail Marco Island is exceptional. Two mile spit. Go at low tide to avoid getting stuck out there. Wear shorts for shallow lagoon crossing

Bahia Honda beach on the way to Key West is also exceptional.

Dog Beach Lovers Key Fort Myers is especially fun weekends

Bunche Beach Fort Myers low tide mornings has great birding

We got a seasonal insurance quote for PV MX this week and are watching for Westjet direct flights where we can use our credit from April/May return this year.

Covid is worse than in Vancouver where we are getting 150 new cases a day. But we have our own place and bubble.

We got a seasonal insurance quote for PV MX this week and are watching for Westjet direct flights where we can use our credit from April/May return this year.

Covid is worse than in Vancouver where we are getting 150 new cases a day. But we have our own place and bubble.

After Westjet cancelled two flights we gave up on using Westjet credits and are positioned at Pearson for an early Air Canada flight out to Florida before things get crazier up here or air travel becomes busier.

I don’t consider relocating to a second home to be travel, and the lifestyle in Florida in the coming months should be much safer than staying up north.

Any insider opinions on how insured Canadians would be treated should a hospital be in a state of over capacity stress?

Hanging out in Quintana Roo, Mexico IMG_0788.jpg

We are in placerville California for a few days. Our Airbnb host said her fire insurance is 500/month and has been cancelled 4 times. Tons of for sale signs on homes and some businesses gone. It’s really a beautiful area.

I don’t consider relocating to a second home to be travel, and the lifestyle in Florida in the coming months should be much safer than staying up north.

Any insider opinions on how insured Canadians would be treated should a hospital be in a state of over capacity stress?

Since the governor fully opened Florida it is a mess . No more social distancing in restaurants and mask wearing is starting to lag .With the snowbirds arriving it should get crazy at the hospitals .

I just flew back to Los Angeles From Fort Lauderdale last night. Fort Lauderdale airport was almost completely deserted. The A/C system was broken in Terminal 2 and it was hot and humid inside the terminal and wearing masks under those conditions was not pleasant. There were many people coughing as they were boarding the plane which was a little bit concerning. One person looked like he was struggling to breath. I phoned my wife to confirm my arrival time and told her what was going on. She put me in quarantine for two weeks after I arrived at LAX. Now I have to wear a mask at home.

We're in Destin for the week. Half not wearing masks and I had to say something to a kid for the first time in the grocery store. I'd rather be home...

Here in Washington state, we were getting some of the overflow from Idaho.

I think that is about to end as our hospitals are filling up in some areas of the state. Others are doing OK, but the warning signs are all there. They are raising the shields and bracing for impact.

Here at the Chuckanut Hut, we are hunkering down, taking our vitamin D and zinc pills, eating healthy, getting some exercise, and limiting exposure to others. The Hut is already decorated for Christmas, and most gifts have been purchased. Next up, bake the Christmas cookies, and hop in the car and socially distance deliver them to friends and family. That will be my remaining travel for 2020.

Back
Top Bottom