Any Travel Plans for 2020?

After extensive travel while working, including 5 weeks in Florida a year, there are really not many places we care to visit in the U.S. We travel to Europe yearly, however our trip this April was cancelled for obvious reasons.

Many friends have Gulf Coast condos at some of the world's best beaches. But my wife and I never go to the beach since we have a house on the lake an hour from home.

We have recently been to the Smoky Mountains twice and are going again for Thanksgiving with the daughter, grandkids and great grandkid. We've had no problems traveling while distancing, and we're going to be in a rented house up on the mountain. We've yet to see any COROVID obtained from a bear.

Usually stay in non-chain older motels with kitchenette, but could also do airbnb or similar. Thanks in advance for ideas.

I don't think you will find too many motels on or near the beach in South East Florida. All those motels along the beach from North Miami Beach have been torn down and replaced by luxury high rise condominiums. The transformation has been astonishing from what it was like in the 70's to now. I would avoid motels in South Florida since most are inland and not particularly in safe areas.

If you want nice secluded beaches, you need to visit places like Jenson Beach or even Palm Beach. As far as crystal clear water, you have to find reefs offshore or take the shuttle boat to the Bahamas. The Florida Keys really don't have any nice beaches but there are a lot of sand bars offshore that you can access with a Kayak around Duck and Marathon Keys.

The best place we have found to stay in the Keys is Hawks Cay in Duck Key.

https://www.hawkscay.com/

It's not inexpensive but their rates now are 40-50% less than what they were before the Pandemic. It is by far one of the nicest place to stay in the Florida Keys.

I don't think you will find too many motels on or near the beach in South East Florida. All those motels along the beach from North Miami Beach have been torn down and replaced by luxury high rise condominiums. The transformation has been astonishing from what it was like in the 70's to now. I would avoid motels in South Florida since most are inland and not particularly in safe areas.

If you want nice secluded beaches, you need to visit places like Jenson Beach or even Palm Beach. As far as crystal clear water, you have to find reefs offshore or take the shuttle boat to the Bahamas. The Florida Keys really don't have any nice beaches but there are a lot of sand bars offshore that you can access with a Kayak around Duck and Marathon Keys.

The best place we have found to stay in the Keys is Hawks Cay in Duck Key.

https://www.hawkscay.com/

It's not inexpensive but their rates now are 40-50% less than what they were before the Pandemic. It is by far one of the nicest place to stay in the Florida Keys.

Thanks for the ideas. Will check out. Agree Key West is not a beach destination, but a fun and interesting spot.

Hawks Cay looks interesting.

Just got back from a three week, 3500 mile road trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. Mostly stayed in cabins and motels with outside entrances, ate take out, minimized my time inside public places and was careful to socially distance, etc. Some of the activities that I enjoy were off limits due to the virus. No ranger programs, many historic lodges and homesteads were closed, NP museums and visitor centers closed, etc. Tourists within the parks were generally good about social distancing but not so much in the nearby tourist towns. It was more crowded than I expected for after Labor Day and views were often hazy due to western wildfires. But it was great to get out of the house for a few weeks and enjoy nature. I plan to go to Glacier next September and may consider flying as it is a long drive.

Just got back from a three week, 3500 mile road trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. Mostly stayed in cabins and motels with outside entrances, ate take out, minimized my time inside public places and was careful to socially distance, etc. Some of the activities that I enjoy were off limits due to the virus. No ranger programs, many historic lodges and homesteads were closed, NP museums and visitor centers closed, etc. Tourists within the parks were generally good about social distancing but not so much in the nearby tourist towns. It was more crowded than I expected for after Labor Day and views were often hazy due to western wildfires. But it was great to get out of the house for a few weeks and enjoy nature. I plan to go to Glacier next September and may consider flying as it is a long drive.

Thanks for the update. I’ve been reading just how crazy crowded our NP’s have been this year. Glacier is a great place. Maybe our favorite NP. Seems like a train trip into glacier is the way to go. I haven’t done it. But it looks like a great idea.

Thanks for the ideas. Will check out. Agree Key West is not a beach destination, but a fun and interesting spot.

Hawks Cay looks interesting.

We have always stayed at the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada when we're in the Keys. It is pricey, but very nice.

I do have Anna Maria island on my short list, thanks Moemg and Gremlin.

Also I will add Daytona at Sunset's suggestion and look at SE Florida, thanks MichaelB.

Not sure I will get as far as the Keys but who knows? Had a nice spring break trip there probably 3 years ago. But I will remain flexible.

You can always take the ferry from Fort Meters to Key West .

We have re-arranged our bucket list. Top of of the return to list is Greece (always), Cyprus, Italy (always on the list) Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, Portugal, Scotland, and South Africa.

Top of the bucket list is Kenya, Tanzania, Northern Cyprus, Azores, Morocco, Isreal/Jordan.

Once we can travel we will mix and match as the appropriate seasons cross with the travel offers.

Domestic business class fares continue to plunge. A direct flight from LAX to FLL is now as low as $596 return. The only risk is that the booking is over 30 days in advance and there is no guarantee that the airline won't cancel the flight.

Ms G and I did a 9 mile 3000' elevation gain in the cool mountains behind our casa. Beautiful day started at 70 degrees, and stayed there until 1 mile from the trailhead. Back in training for our Dolomites trip rescheduled for fall of 2021. My whole body hurts.

Ms G and I did a 9 mile 3000' elevation gain in the cool mountains behind our casa. Beautiful day started at 70 degrees, and stayed there until 1 mile from the trailhead. Back in training for our Dolomites trip rescheduled for fall of 2021. My whole body hurts.

We’re hikers too. And your experience is my idea of travel! The hurt will pass-good luck with your conditioning.

YW traveled up to Chapel Hill, NC last week in order to get her green card which was recently sent to a friends home. After a week she finally got through to SS to get her SS#. They won´t do it online or over the phone so she is going to try to get an appointment for Friday as she hopes to return to Peru next week.

Just got home from a 2 1/2 week trip Ffrom Michigan to Badlands NP, Black Hills, Devils Tower, Grand Teton NP, and Teddy Roosevelt NP. Distancing was pretty good in the parks, but not much mask wearing in the Dakotas. Badlands was pretty hazy from western fires, but we were rather lucky in the Tetons as recent rain had cleared things up for a few days. DT was OK up close. On our return, ND was pretty clear. You can get updates on smoke from fire.airnow.gov.

In the midst of a two week RV trip along our/California's Central Coastline. Air is clear, temps are perfect in the mid to high 70's, and we are hiking miles and miles of scenic coastal trails daily, followed by good Central Coast wine and fresh seafood at night. Life is good!I

Florida: best beach destinations

Continuing the discussion of Florida beaches: one thing I have enjoyed in the midAtlantic is beaches with boardwalks. It seems to be mostly a northwest thing but I see Hollywood Beach seems to have a nice one. And Destin perhaps?

Don’t think there are any beach boardwalks in Destin. Beautiful beaches though.

The Destin Harbor Boardwalk. It is pretty small sounds like. And as you suggest maybe not at a beach.

Yea, it’s small. No beaches there, but you can walk around the piers looking at the fishing boats. But that’s not what I think you were originally asking about.

Yea, it’s small. No beaches there, but you can walk around the piers looking at the fishing boats. But that’s not what I think you were originally asking about.

I think you are right! But that's taking nothing away from folks that may want to.

The Destin Harbor Boardwalk. It is pretty small sounds like. And as you suggest maybe not at a beach.

I have walked that several times. It’s touristy and weaves through and behind many restaurants. There’s a section where fishing charters and dinner boats are docked. No beach nearby, just harbor views.

Continuing the discussion of Florida beaches: one thing I have enjoyed in the midAtlantic is beaches with boardwalks. It seems to be mostly a northwest thing but I see Hollywood Beach seems to have a nice one. And Destin perhaps?

Destin no, but Daytona Beach yes.

Where Americans can easily travel to now

Found an interesting list of countries that Americans can travel to now, where they actually want the tourists and don't require the testing or quarantines.

• Mexico (fly in only, borders not open yet)
  • Dominican Republic
  • Brazil (and a bonus is that visas are no longer required)
  • Turkey
  • Malta
  • Belarus (temperature check required at entry)
  • Serbia
  • Albania (temperature check required at entry)
  • North Macedonia
  • Zambia
  • Tanzania

Of course, you have to be aware that some of these countries are experiencing high infection rates, so that's a significant issue. Also, a few require visas, but they are inexpensive and can be obtained either online or upon arrival.

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/no-test-required-11-countries-americans-can-easily-travel-to-right-now?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=

Back
Top Bottom