Any Travel Plans for 2020?

Headed on Monday to a place called “Red’s Meadow” which is near Mammoth Mountain in CA on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada range. Meeting up with daughter and hiking partners for a rest day and resupply for their journey on the John Muir Trail. We have a small hikers cabin reserved for two nights.

Bringing a big stove and plenty of food and snacks for the backpackers. They will be hungry and will be fun to re-energize them with good hearty meals and lots of healthy calories. Of course some unhealthy treats will also be on offer. Will pack dry ice and ice cream in a cooler. After two weeks on the trail that’ll be a welcome treat.

Bringing a mountain bike so I can sneak in a ride in the afternoon when the hikers are napping. Many awesome gravel roads and single track trails to climb and explore on the east side of the Sierras.

Reds Meadow is a beautiful place. You will have fun. It’s a popular stop for PCT hikers, as the trail passes right through it. I was there in Aug 2017.

In addition to hiking the PCT/JMT (shared trail through the Sierra), you can see Devils Postpile, Rainbow Falls, and hike around the Minarets. I’m jealous!

PS: there is free bus service between Reds Meadow and the town of Mammoth also.

Yesterday I looked at renting a houseboat on one of the TN, KY, area lakes. I figured load up the car with groceries, one day drive with just fuel stops, and get on the boat. But the only ones I could find were huge (sleeps 10). With just me and my one deck hand, that might not work very well. I've rented houseboats quite a bit over the years, but in the Canada/US boundary waters. It's not economical on a per night basis for 2, but we have dough to blow in the travel budget.

I just got back from Breckenridge, CO. I flew to Denver, rented a car, and drove to Breck. GD came with and we met up with her family (my son's) in a house in Breckenridge. Almost everyone was masked up at the Des Moines airport and Colorado and Breckenridge have a mandate. Lots of cleaning and hand sanitizer everywhere. We hiked and did a lot of outdoor dining. We did stay in a hotel one night and that all seemed fine too. It was nice to get away, I have really missed it.

DW and I just got back from a fabulous trip in northern California, where we spent 10 days. I gave a detailed description of our trip at post 57 in this thread:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/wine-tasting-would-you-go-in-2020-a-104528-3.html

One of our best trips ever.

We live in CA very close to where you travelled. Here in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains we enjoy the many great boutique wineries around us. The elevation, soils and temperatures produce great grapes and tasty wines. Have a few good breweries too. When the sun goes down headed over to one tonight to enjoy a cool beer and a snack from a food truck.

On the road to LA in 2 more weeks. Followed by 2 days in Pismo Beach. Gimme my fish!

Well, DW and I changed our plans substantially for the rest of 2020. We started booking a vacation to Hawaii in October, but after calling the hotel found out that many of the amenities are still closed due to COVID. The governor there is waffling about reopening soon. Sooooo ... cancelling our reservations and now planning a road trip back to our last pre-retirement location to see some friends. Looking forward to that somewhat, but sad about putting off Hawaii. Maybe in the spring? :)

We did a road test for one night last week to a Texas state park out of town and stayed in an Airbnb. We are planning a longer road trip in October from Houston to LA, with stops in White Sands, Albuquerque, Petrified Forest NP, and Phoenix. Had considered one stop in Big Ben NP but was told that some facilities including cabins and trails inside the park are still closed. We canceled an oversea trip in March 2020. Maybe next year for international travels.

British Airways want's a bail-out because Virgin Atlantic failed to collapse.

"Walsh had held back on previously announced retirement plans, wanting one last swan song before he called it quits. The hope was that the last tune would result in bankrupting long time rival Richard Branson’s beloved airline, Virgin Atlantic, and any other others that stood in the way.

Walsh took every media opportunity to say that IAG’s balance sheets were strong, and that government support would only prop up failing airlines. Whenever the statements were made, the proverbial press always craned their necks towards Virgin Atlantic, an airline rumored to be on the brink, which Walsh held long standing beef against."

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/british-airways-iag-willie-walsh-bailouts/

Doing an impromptu road trip. About 2000 miles. Eastern Pa, The Biltmore, and the Smoky Mountains.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 7.46.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 7.46.58 AM.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 41
I am planning a train/car trip to Florida. Planning to take the auto train from here in Northern Va to Florida, then drive to check out some nice beaches. It looks like Key West (a fun location but not great beaches) is 6-7 hours from Sanford, FL where the train ride ends. So everything else is closer including Siesta Key, From Myers/Sanibel, Florida panhandle (yes I know they had a hurricane but most beaches probably fine, etc.), St.. Augustine, Jacksonville, etc.

I would welcome any ideas on beach selection. This would be in the next few weeks.

I am planning a train/car trip to Florida. Planning to take the auto train from here in Northern Va to Florida, then drive to check out some nice beaches. It looks like Key West (a fun location but not great beaches) is 6-7 hours from Sanford, FL where the train ride ends. So everything else is closer including Siesta Key, From Myers/Sanibel, Florida panhandle (yes I know they had a hurricane but most beaches probably fine, etc.), St.. Augustine, Jacksonville, etc.

I would welcome any ideas on beach selection. This would be in the next few weeks.

Florida has a very broad section of beaches, so it might help narrow the list if you give a bit more info on your preference. Do you want a hotel close to the beach? Are you looking for beaches that are mostly isolated, or would you rather have multitud of eating and drinking options in walking distance. Would you prefer beaches with water based recreational activities, or just “nice sand” to lay on all day.

I'm trying to decide if I feel comfortable taking the train or not; so far I'm trying to avoid more than a few minutes in shared indoor spaces, even if we're all masked. It seems like a risk I can avoid. The problem is, two of my closest friends are turning 50 in the next 3 months, and I have special bottles of single malt scotch reserved for each of them. I could drive up to see them and back in one day, but it's about 4-5 hours each way, so taking the train would be preferable. (It was preferable even when I used to stay for a few days, as I can relax and read or watch movies on the train.)

Anyone been on the NE Corridor in the last month or two? I'm wondering how crowded it was, and if anyone on the train was being a maskhole. ;)

Florida has a very broad section of beaches, so it might help narrow the list if you give a bit more info on your preference. Do you want a hotel close to the beach? Are you looking for beaches that are mostly isolated, or would you rather have multitud of eating and drinking options in walking distance. Would you prefer beaches with water based recreational activities, or just “nice sand” to lay on all day.

Love to have walkable amenities. Otherwise priorities are nice sand and clearest, most beautiful water.

I would expect to hit multiple beaches unless I find a spot I can't bear to leave. This would be over a couple of week period.

Usually stay in non-chain older motels with kitchenette, but could also do airbnb or similar. Thanks in advance for ideas.

I'm trying to decide if I feel comfortable taking the train or not; so far I'm trying to avoid more than a few minutes in shared indoor spaces, even if we're all masked. It seems like a risk I can avoid. The problem is, two of my closest friends are turning 50 in the next 3 months, and I have special bottles of single malt scotch reserved for each of them. I could drive up to see them and back in one day, but it's about 4-5 hours each way, so taking the train would be preferable. (It was preferable even when I used to stay for a few days, as I can relax and read or watch movies on the train.)

Anyone been on the NE Corridor in the last month or two? I'm wondering how crowded it was, and if anyone on the train was being a maskhole. ;)

I have not but they seem to be allowing some distance. Like seat next to you unsold (i.e..you can take 2 seats).

Sleeper car on auto train was part of the attraction for me.

Love to have walkable amenities. Otherwise priorities are nice sand and clearest, most beautiful water.

I would expect to hit multiple beaches unless I find a spot I can't bear to leave. This would be over a couple of week period.

Usually stay in non-chain older motels with kitchenette, but could also do airbnb or similar. Thanks in advance for ideas.

That's why I've been researching retirement locations on WalkScore. I would like to live someplace where I can walk or take public transportation to a lot of things; I grew up either taking the bus or the train or walking everywhere in NYC, and I like to take the time to read, familiarize myself with a neighborhood, or just people-watch.

We went to the beach yesterday, usually go once a week. :)

Here in SE Florida the beaches are nice, but I imagine the cost of hotels is higher that other parts of Florida. My son in law’s father has a place in northern Broward county (Ft Lauderdale) and he (the son) prefers the beaches here in southern Palm Beach. This area is most convenient to drive down to the Keys.

Sanibel and Ft Meyers have some really nice beaches. I wouldn’t want to get stuck on Sanibel if there’s a hurricane warning, but other than that, it’s a good option. Not sure what the night life or non-beach activity is like.

DW spent a week in Tampa / St Pete and loved the beach. Plenty of non-beach stuff to do, lots of options a short drive away.

I have not but they seem to be allowing some distance. Like seat next to you unsold (i.e..you can take 2 seats).

Sleeper car on auto train was part of the attraction for me.
Thanks, although the NE Corridor doesn't have assigned seats, it sounds like maybe they're underselling the trains so that every other seat can be empty? Even so, I'd feel better with a mostly empty car, breathing the same air as strangers for ~4 hours even with masks on isn't ideal to me. Hm. I may just have to show my friends the bottles over video chat on or around their birthdays.

I live on the west coast of Florida . I would recommend Anna Marie Island . The beaches are beautiful ,lots of air B&B options . A very beachy area . They also have a trolley which takes you around the Island .

Looks like Sanford is close to Daytona beach, certainly worth visiting if you never have. You can still drive your car and park it on sections of Daytona beach.

We go there every year, it's a very long beach, and the water is warmer than on the Gulf side (which surprised me how cold Gulf side is). We do have a timeshare there, and we had one on the Gulf side, but sold it as 2 in FL were too much.

The beaches on the East side are more like sand beaches. The Gulf side are more white, powdered shells, of the two I like the Gulf side beaches as they are prettier and nicer to walk barefoot upon (IMHO).

Maybe drive to Banff-Lake Louise and/or Jasper for a few days IF the weather holds.

I am heading to 30% capacity Disney next month with my kids and grandkids. Staying in an Airbnb house. Flying on Delta with empty middle seat. I was not planning to travel again this year, but I am excited to go!

#1 on Anna Marie Island. It’s the closest you can get to the Caribbean without leaving the country, IMHO. I’m not a beach fan but if I’m forced to go by hubby that is where I would choose.

I live on the west coast of Florida . I would recommend Anna Marie Island . The beaches are beautiful ,lots of air B&B options . A very beachy area . They also have a trolley which takes you around the Island .

I do have Anna Maria island on my short list, thanks Moemg and Gremlin.

Also I will add Daytona at Sunset's suggestion and look at SE Florida, thanks MichaelB.

Not sure I will get as far as the Keys but who knows? Had a nice spring break trip there probably 3 years ago. But I will remain flexible.

Back
Top Bottom