Anyone been to Africa?

My niece found this cool safari lodge:
https://www.vuyanilodge.com/index.html

All inclusive and seems reasonable prices. There's a section that's titled
"Africa is not for sissies" and talks about all the things that could happen.
Pros: Africa

Cons: long flight, lots of bugs, in the middle of massive park, how close is a hospital? The adventure is intriguing, not sure I have the chutzpah.

Has anyone experienced Africa?

We have different ideas of reasonable!

I've been to East Africa twice. First time was on a minibus "safari". Spent way too much time driving down ridiculously bumpy, dusty roads, with hours and hours between bathroom breaks. Arrived very late to beautiful hotels only to leave at the crack of dawn for more bumpy road driving. We saw lots of animals, though even back then (1996) every lion with a kill had 20 minivans jockeying for a view. If you do decide to go to multiple parks, pay the extra money for flights between parks.

The second trip was with Earthwatch and the trip was all a stay in a single reserve (Sweetwaters). Every day we walked the reserve with armed guards and really got to see the wildlife up close and at our leisure. Every morning a bunch of giraffes would walk by our cabin. This experience was much more enjoyable for me.

Africa was on the top of DW’s bucket list when we retired six years or so ago. It was one of the first post retirement trips that we took.

Now it is at the top of my list. Just waiting the right time, the righ5 price, and the right combo trip.

Uh-oh. I just got a State Dept. travel advisory:

I would use the advisory for guidance. I would also check to see if Peace Corps is still serving in the country. It is an indication to me that the level of safety is still seen as safe enough to keep the volunteers there. It still could mean that crime is higher than desired and certain precautions should be taken. For example, do not look like a tourist such as carrying a camera while walking in a larger city. Or, being careful of public transportation which most tourists do not take anyway.

State department advisories are overly broad and sometimes politically motivated. Think about it from a statistical point of view: How many tourists visit the country in a year and how many run into serious problems, injury or death? As a percentage this will almost always be a tiny, tiny, number.

Part of the problem is that the advisories are a sort of CYA thing. If something happens, they don't want to be asked "Why didn't you warn me?"

Some smart friend visited Europe and then flew to Africa from London. If we ever do it we'll do it that way.

Some smart friend visited Europe and then flew to Africa from London. If we ever do it we'll do it that way.
That is how I did it. I arranged a couple of day layover in London to see the sights, then continued on to Kenya.

I've lived in Rwanda and Central African Republic and spent another year roving around western and central Africa. South Africa is a first world country - State Dept doesn't even medevac people from there; South Africa pioneered heart transplants and has first-rate hospitals and medical.

Malaria is a risk and personally I'd take malarone if I went back. You can still get malaria while taking anti-malarials so bug spray and mosquito nets at night are recommended. It sucks because in most strains they can't kill off the parasites so it can recur later.
When I lived in Rwanda, the most common strain of malaria was a non-recurring variety (parasites could be eradicated) so I did not take anti-malarials for the two years I lived there, and neither did most of my co-workers. One co-worker (out of 20 or so) came down with it and was treated and released. Treated in Rwanda - they're experienced with it; no medevac necessary.

The biggest concern in South Africa is the crime rate and it's the usual 'take the airport or hotel's recommended taxi' 'watch your purse' 'don't wander bad neighborhoods at night' stuff.

I have been to Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and South Africa

My work used to take me to parts of Africa. Go see a travel medical clinic. They can tell you what shots you would need. New malaria drugs are great, take them. Also they will give you Cipro, antibiotics, in case you get the runs from accidentally infesting contaminated food (anything raw) and don’t drink the water. The people are wonderful but do know the crime levels can be very bad and you can’t walk at night even in Cale Town. When there are poor people and drugs there can be scary situations. Take Uber everywhere. It will be life changing and wonderful but it is a different world...nothing like Europe at all.

I highly recommend you go to Africa. I was in the Peace Corps in Swaziland in 92 and I probably made 40 different trips in the region -- all over South Africa and also Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique and Lesotho.

Since the biggest cost and inconvenience is getting to Africa, I recommend you go for as long as you can---at least 3 weeks. I LOVED going on Safari, but for me I didn't want to spend more than 3-4 days watching game in the same terrain, so I reccommend you combine your Safari with other sights in Africa. Southern Africa has a lot to see and do. I enjoyed taking the train to Capetown. Namibia is interesting with a giant canyon, sand dunes, sea lions. There are nice wineries and beaches. If you end up going more north to Kenya or Tanzania, I loved Zanzibar.

There's lots of recent information on all your options on TripAdvisor including 624 reviews of the Vuyani Safari lodge.

I loved Zanzibar..

Our accommodations at the sumptuous Spice Inn in Stone Town, early 1988.

I took the pic, my late wife is behind the lady, (also passed), in the foreground:

2pspwlf.jpg

loved it

I went to Kenya and Tanzania several years back....stayed in a group of lodges with the "And Beyond" brand and, quite honestly, they were the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. And overall the best experience of my multiple travels. I went on my own, no group, and ended up having mostly private game drives, just myself and the driver. I didn't experience any bugs, so not really sure about your concern there. The scariest thing for me was the flights between game parks. They just weren't what we expect here. Anyway, I say go!

I went to Kenya and Tanzania several years back....stayed in a group of lodges with the "And Beyond" brand and, quite honestly, they were the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. And overall the best experience of my multiple travels. I went on my own, no group, and ended up having mostly private game drives, just myself and the driver. I didn't experience any bugs, so not really sure about your concern there. The scariest thing for me was the flights between game parks. They just weren't what we expect here. Anyway, I say go!

We also went with "And Beyond" in Kenya and Tanzania about 5 years ago..... Which camps did you stay at?

Going to Tanzania on Safari (9 days) and Zanzibar for 4 days later this year..plan to visit Arusha National Park, Tarangire National Park, the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti (Central and North). Hope to see a ton of animals, then go decompress on Zanzibar for a few days after.

Biggest concern is malaria (will take the malarone but can still apparently get), followed by tiny 6-8 seater Cesna flights N Serengeti to Zanzibar and back (Zanzibar to Arusha). Well, and being eaten alive by lions, hippos, hyenas or anything bigger than us. We'll be staying in a combination of lodges and -gasp - "glamping" tents, so having nothing but a thin layer of canvas between me and hungry lions roaming the plains at night is a bit disconcerting..fortunately the Masai warriors watch the tents, but still..they can't be everywhere!

If we survive (hopefully), should be an amazing trip. We're doing this as our "we finally achieved ER" trip so has been a long time coming..

having nothing but a thin layer of canvas between me and hungry lions roaming the plains at night is a bit disconcerting...

In the Mara, in the mid 1980s, we always requested the tent furthest from the centre. One morning, still dark, we heard chomping all around us, and at the same time we wondered where our pre game drive coffee was.

Somewhat later the coffee arrived, and we were told it was delayed because our tent was surrounded by elephants. :LOL:

Going to Tanzania on Safari (9 days) and Zanzibar for 4 days later this year..plan to visit Arusha National Park, Tarangire National Park, the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti (Central and North). Hope to see a ton of animals, then go decompress on Zanzibar for a few days after.

Biggest concern is malaria (will take the malarone but can still apparently get), followed by tiny 6-8 seater Cesna flights N Serengeti to Zanzibar and back (Zanzibar to Arusha). Well, and being eaten alive by lions, hippos, hyenas or anything bigger than us. We'll be staying in a combination of lodges and -gasp - "glamping" tents, so having nothing but a thin layer of canvas between me and hungry lions roaming the plains at night is a bit disconcerting..fortunately the Masai warriors watch the tents, but still..they can't be everywhere!

If we survive (hopefully), should be an amazing trip. We're doing this as our "we finally achieved ER" trip so has been a long time coming..
Cool! Please give us a trip report!

In the Mara, in the mid 1980s, we always requested the tent furthest from the centre. One morning, still dark, we heard chomping all around us, and at the same time we wondered where our pre game drive coffee was.

Somewhat later the coffee arrived, and we were told it was delayed because our tent was surrounded by elephants. :LOL:

Awesome! The camp we're staying at in Tarangire has elephants that regularly stroll through the camp - even mid-day. (There are hundreds of elephants all over Tarangire National Park - that's the predominant animal there). I was watching a YouTube video the other day with a guy taping an elephant literally a foot outside of his tent (through the screen of his tent window) at the very camp we're staying at. I LOVE elephants (my favorite African animal by far), but that's a bit close for comfort..what if they decide to walk right through your tent?

Last edited:
Another Nemo (elephant) anecdote:

In 1983 my late wife and I rented a camper in Jozi and (initially) spent a week in Kruger Park.

Visitors to the park had to be behind designated camp fences before dusk. We were walking around and noticed a bit of excitement in one area. A young (late teenager-ish) elephant had come up to the fence out of inquisitiveness.

In order to discourage such behavior, one of the African rangers showed up with a 'David & Goliath' slingshot and proceeded to bounce a small rock off the elephant - who instantly took umbrage.

I learned "Who the **** did that?" and "If I get my trunk on you!" in elephantise.

A couple more rocks and the pachyderm stormed off, trumpeting threats and abuse.....we could still hear him about a quarter mile away.

A total affront to dignity.

Last edited:
kenya giraffe.jpg
giraffe kiss.jpg

Ten years ago in Kenya at the main giraffe rehab facility. Giraffes have always been my favorite among the wild life of Africa. Oh and the trick is to be holding food in your lips!

Great pics!!

Ten years ago in Kenya at the main giraffe rehab facility. Giraffes have always been my favorite among the wild life of Africa. Oh and the trick is to be holding food in your lips!

That's AMAZING!! My wife absolutely loves giraffes and it'd be one of the most awe inspiring experiences of her entire life if she were able to do that..wish we were including Kenya in our trip!

Nairobi is not an attractive city, IMO but the giraffes are fun.What we liked best was the elephant orphanage. https://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

They rescue and raise babies. Often the mother has been shot by poachers. It turns out that baby elephants are so social that they will die unless they are supported. Each baby has a single 24x7 keeper who stays with it, even sleeping with it in its enclosure. For something like $50 one can "adopt" an elephant. Ours is below. An exceptional child, of course, who can handle its own milk bottle!

38349-albums210-picture1822.jpg

It was also smart enough to reach through the fence behind it and steal leaves and twigs from the neighbor's food pile.

Back
Top Bottom