Anyone else travel recently or in near future?

When Ugeaux said the "weekend" I assumed it was a recent or last weekend, not enough time for antibody test to show anything.
It was months ago when no tests were available. I am a frequent blood donor, and just got an email saying that all donations come with a free antibody test. I'll find out soon.

BTW plane air is refreshed (not recirculated) every 3 minutes. Truly safe.
I'm glad you're comfortable with that. I'm not. Based on what I've ready, all it takes is one person coughing (without a mask) within 6 feet of you, and over an extended flight (essentially, low-dose exposure over multiple hours), you could easily catch COVID, based on what virologists known so far.

Domestic as well for now

We have taken a couple of trips to the Sevierville TN area which is well opened up; the most recent was four days this week. Have trips planned every month now for 1-2 weeks at a time, including a cruise scheduled for November. Then we do our 13 week sojourn to the Myrtle Beach area for the winter starting in mid-December. Life is good; God is great.

Flew to Georgia from Montana

Hi there--Just flew from Montana to Georgia at the end of May, on Delta. It was a great flight---Delta is not booking the center seat unless you're traveling with someone, family etc, so it was not at all crowded. They passed out water and snacks. You did have to wear a mask on the plane. And best of all, for the first time in my life, on the flight back in August I will have a direct flight from Georgia to Montana. Yay! On the way here I had a layover in Salt Lake, and the airport had most of its vendors open. All in all it was great!

We are doing a long road trip to help my son, his wife, toddler and cats move from Virginia to Ohio. SC-VA-OH-SC. We have an extra long Expedition so we can be pretty self contained. I bought a portable toilet in case we have trouble finding open/clean restrooms.

Our flights to Europe in March were cancelled, and American Airlines pawned us off on thei partner, British Airways. B/A says we're due a full refund. AA first says we only have a credit for our next flight, but that the reservation must be done by 7/31. Then governments told the airlines to refund us in full.

Ovago Travel handles administration, and their phones are an automated attendant and no one ever gets on the phone. They don't answer e-mails either. I finally got them at 3:00 am on a Sunday morning. Don't ever purchase any flights from them.

Now we understand a check has been cut for our airfares by American Airways, but we long since moved from the address they supposedly sent the checks to. That's questionable. Here we go again.

We'd love to fly somewhere on vacation, and we'd love to have our money back. But after 50 years of European travel, I really have no where in North America I care to travel to. We continue on our self imposed staycation, and driving to our place in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

We originally had return flights booked April 26th. Then DW decided to get her hip replaced in a town 20 miles away. She is 3 weeks away from full recovery so we will be looking to return PV to Vancouver in a early August when the threat for DVT has dropped to acceptable levels.

No plans. Not even doing research for next potential one. That in itself is a little depressing. To make matters worse, the libraries where we live are still closed.

On the bright side neither of us are sick with covid. We have no shortage of fresh food items in our marketplace. Plus I still have a case and a half so some very nice red plonk so things are not all bad.

We go for drives into the mountains. Repaired my ten year old desktop and actually managed to find the restore cd's after four plus moves. Did the same for the old notebook. Windows7 is fine for my needs. Upgraded DW to the latest ipad mini so now I may migrate to her hand me down mini.

Our two potential trips are Greece and Zihauntenejo, Mexico. We can fly direct to both. Just watching the situation to see if it improves. So far not much joy.

But we have our health and we can dream. Safe travels to those that are out there or plan to be in the near future.

My South America Trip – Crazy Highlights!

We started the trip December 26th by showing up at the Saigon airport only to learn we needed an impossible transit visa for LAX for my Vietnamese fiancee. Therefore our itinerary had to be completely canceled. We screamed, cried, indulged in self pity but finally shook it off and scrambled to find a way to make our dream come true. We found and booked a 55 hour journey from Saigon thru Turkey and Brazil to get to Panama – the start of our trip. There’s a lot more to that story, alas another day...

We got tear gassed in Santiago, Chile in February. Never imagined that nasty stuff could sting so bad! Really feel for the protesters out there in clouds of the stuff. We got just a whiff and it hurt! Santiago is a beautiful city that has been turned upside by protests, graffiti, vandalism and the police response.

Next came the Covid-19 driven closure of Ecuador on March 16th. We were in the Amazon and off grid. By the time we got out of the Peacocks Peaks and Cocoa Plants we were stuck! We have been here ever since. Now we are in Cuenca and totally unsure about how, when we can ever leave.

Our Airbnb in downtown Banos, Ecuador flooded one day in April when the violently shaking washing machine pulled itself free of the drainage pipes. Garbage bins and dust pans have never been put to such good use shoveling water!

April 27 passes uneventfully - the day we were supposed to return to our home in Vietnam.

June 5 - Our Ecuador visas expired today! We hear that there is a $700 fine for overstays. Staff at the tourism office told us we will be FINE but couldn’t point us to any website or document explaining why? Maybe they meant we will be FINED! Oh boy...

Last week, I wake to the news that perhaps our current location, Cuenca Azuay Province, will be hit with volcanic ash due to activity at the Sanguay volcano. Not sure if there will be health risks or worse. Perhaps a city closure within the Covid lockdown. Just another news story to follow on our adventure!

June 15 - We canceled our December wedding plan, we just can’t be sure friends and family can travel freely or will be willing to do so with Covid situation still so uncertain. Not even sure we will be home by then as Panama, our first stop, has again put in place severe restrictions.

June 20 - Our flights back to Vietnam were just moved back again this morning. My Vietnam Visa agent told me to call them in a month as no visas are being issued now. I better start learning Spanish!

So, what’s your 2020 been like?

We just flew to Arizona for a week on AA. Full flight everyone wore masks. No food available in San Jose, Ca airport. When we landed we went straight to the car rental lot and had to wait in a horrendous line for 2.5 hours only to be downgraded to a smaller car. First and last time renting from FOX.
First meal of the day ended up being at 7 pm. Poor planing on our part and Covid snafu’s but a lesson learned.

We ate out got haircuts and generally relaxed. Even had my DD and BF come out for 2 days knowing BF father had Covid and BF was waiting on results. He got his negative results 2 days after leaving us. We had a great time tubing down Salt Creek. So glad they came, love em both.

Hope to travel more in 2021 post 11/2 retirement Hope Hawaii and Caribbean open up by then.

Want to spend time in warm weather this winter and get away..Always liked Thailand and other close by countries and was wondering how they will handle it and then this article popped up. Rather than being a backpacker cheap travel destination they are talking about rebranding themselves as an expensive/luxury destination for longer term visits.

You must have a test before you get there, then after you get there, and you must stay in the same island for two weeks but then can move around the country. I like it. Might be a safe warm place to spend the winter.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/thailand-aims-turn-away-mass-024035888.html

Last edited:
My South America Trip – Crazy Highlights!

We got tear gassed in Santiago, Chile in February. Never imagined that nasty stuff could sting so bad!

We experienced pepper spray in Valparaiso in February, but managed to miss it in Santiago. Luckily, the rest of our month in northern Argentina and Chile was far less exciting than your trip!

Yuck, and good luck getting home.

Just returned home from a 1200 mile road trip for my DH's brother's funeral. We traveled by truck pulling a camper trailer. It was a good way to keep to ourselves on the road since we only had to stop for fuel. Carrying our own kitchen, bed & bathroom with us eliminates a lot of potential for infection.

However, it's impossible to attend a funeral with loved ones from all over the States and maintain 6 ft separation, so, per our doctor's suggestion, we are self-quarantining here at home for the next 7 days.

All our cruises for this year have been canceled by the cruise line. Still waiting to hear if our world cruise will go next January. We have our doubts, so we've booked the 2022 world voyage as a fallback position.

Flew to and from Denver this past 10 days on SWA. They did everything by the book on boarding and entry, some had masks on completely. I chose to cover my nose and mouth with it loose in the chin area, no Gestapo enforcement in airport or on board. My adult family did same, and felt completely safe the whole trip.

The trails in SW Colorado were beautiful and near empty, met a few couples older than us not wearing masks, like us. But were also hiked with our millenial DD and SIL, who did not wear masks, but met a few hikers their age, masked up and wearing face shields at 8,000 feet on a trail.

I'm looking at going to Safari West then Russian River this summer instead of abroad. Can get my whitewater fix afterwards. Reasonable prices and I drive there. Both cottage settings look good. Screenshot_20200622-105113_Chrome.jpegScreenshot_20200622-104949_Chrome.jpeg

We’re getting ready to do a drive to TX and return in a couple of weeks.

I called one Hilton Inn to check on the situation and they said that all the usual room amenities were available. They closed the restaurant and had to go bags available for breakfast.

We’ll be carrying our own food.

I’ll try to do the check-in from their App.

Last edited:
We originally had return flights booked April 26th. Then DW decided to get her hip replaced in a town 20 miles away. She is 3 weeks away from full recovery so we will be looking to return PV to Vancouver in a early August when the threat for DVT has dropped to acceptable levels.
DW has recovered ahead of schedule so she will have the last meeting with her physio on Tuesday and we fly back to Vancouver via Dallas next Thursday. It is an overnight stay at the DFW airport hotel so wish us luck!

I am supposed to go to Alaska in a couple of weeks, but between the quarantine requirements (in Anchorage) and the seemingly increase/spike in cases, I am thinking I might postpone. Bummer...I was looking forward to visiting with minimal tourists. :(

I came back yesterday from a trip to the Chicago area to see family. I felt very safe in airports and on flights (Alaska Airlines rocks and takes masks/distancing very seriously). The vast majority of people encountered were wearing masks, and properly (over nose and mouth). It was nice to experience routine travel and feel safe with current protocols. My advice is to fear less and continue to enjoy life.

I came back yesterday from a trip to the Chicago area to see family. I felt very safe in airports and on flights (Alaska Airlines rocks and takes masks/distancing very seriously). The vast majority of people encountered were wearing masks, and properly (over nose and mouth). It was nice to experience routine travel and feel safe with current protocols. My advice is to fear less and continue to enjoy life.
I’m glad you had a good experience. I’m reading too much about fully packed planes to feel comfortable about flying now. Alaska Airlines is not an option for us.

DW has recovered ahead of schedule so she will have the last meeting with her physio on Tuesday and we fly back to Vancouver via Dallas next Thursday. It is an overnight stay at the DFW airport hotel so wish us luck!

Best of luck in your travels home.

Well, as much as I hated to do it, I have cancelled my Alaska trip that I was taking in about a week. Between the restrictions in Anchorage and the spike in cases (and changing demographics of those affected) I thought it better to hang around the house a little longer. Boo. Hiss.

We were thinking about taking a quick camping trip to Arkansas to visit Hot Springs National Park, but still not sure how accessible it will be. Looks like we'll push it a week or so and revisit the idea again.

We were thinking about taking a quick camping trip to Arkansas to visit Hot Springs National Park, but still not sure how accessible it will be. Looks like we'll push it a week or so and revisit the idea again.

We've made that trip annually, either in the Spring or Fall (sometimes both), for years. Didn't go this Spring of course, but hopefully in the Fall. Appreciate a trip report on Gulpha Gorge Campground conditions if you go.

Back
Top Bottom