Anyone else travel recently or in near future?

Flew to Chas, SC, then to Cleveland, then back to Dulles. All flights AA, and all flights about 60%-80% full. All wearing masks.

My best friend is SWA Pilot, says loads are picking up considerably. He had suggested I get LUV when it was in mid 20's, sure wish I had listened now!

I have a flight booked to Denver in August. Flying with my granddaughter to meet up with son and family in Breckenridge. I am truly looking forward to getting up, up, and away.

Flew today. Horrible trip. First flight was 6am departure. No beverage service... which translates to no coffee. A 6am flight and no coffee? Seriously? Barbaric. Glad I didn't pay for first class to not have coffee or a Bloody Mary... then I would have really been pissed.

Then our first flight arrived in Terminal E and our connection departed out of Terminal A on the opposite side of the airport. On that long walk the few food places that were open had crazy long lines... 100 people or more!

Long the connection they handed out small bags with a bottle of water, a snack and a hand sanitizer. They're spoiling us now!

Flights were 50-75% full and social distancing at that level of capacity is a joke but everyone did wear masks.

Last edited:
Flew today. Horrible trip. First flight was 6am departure. No beverage service... which translates to no coffee. A 6am flight and no coffee? Seriously? Barbaric. Glad I didn't pay for first class to not have coffee or a Bloody Mary... then I would have really been pissed.

Then our first flight arrived in Terminal E and our connection departed out of Terminal A on the opposite side of the airport. On that long walk the few food places that were open had crazy long lines... 100 people or more!

Long the connection they handed out small bags with a bottle of water, a snack and a hand sanitizer. They're spoiling us now!

Flights were 50-75% full and social distancing at that level of capacity is a joke but everyone did wear masks.

Good update pb4 I MIGHT be flying soon, did you see any smaller children...Kindergarden age?

Sorry you had a "horrible" trip. No coffee. I couldn't survive without it. But I wouldn't have left the house to drive to the airport without a cup in my hand in the first place. So, unless you're pre-symptomatic, you were safer without that coffee on the flight than with it. At least until covid dies down. With 'who knows' touching your coffee cup, and touching the coffee pot, and repeated across 50 or so passengers on the flight, it's a good thing they didn't offer coffee. It's still too early in this pandemic recovery to expect full service. IMHO.

+1.

We did a weekender road trip ~2 weeks ago. Really enjoyed being out. Gonna head to the northwest soon, but gonna drive for all the reasons you listed. I hate everything about flying except the speed. We always fly FC as a means to trim some of the abuse. Right now, just NO.

Good update pb4 I MIGHT be flying soon, did you see any smaller children...Kindergarden age?
Not really that I recall. There was an infant behind me that was understandably crying on our descent, but that was it as I recall.

Sorry you had a "horrible" trip. No coffee. I couldn't survive without it. But I wouldn't have left the house to drive to the airport without a cup in my hand in the first place. So, unless you're pre-symptomatic, you were safer without that coffee on the flight than with it. At least until covid dies down. With 'who knows' touching your coffee cup, and touching the coffee pot, and repeated across 50 or so passengers on the flight, it's a good thing they didn't offer coffee. It's still too early in this pandemic recovery to expect full service. IMHO.

I did have a cup on the way from home to the airport but I'm a 2-3 cups a morning guy.

Good information on lack of snacks/beverages. My flight(s) to Alaska means a pretty long travel day. Between the flights and layover, I expect to be stuck in an airport/airplane for 13-14 hours each way. Guess I will be bringing goodies to eat.

Yeah - it’s tough to carry on snacks. You have to pick stuff that is allowed through security, and if lines are long at airport stores, and no beverage service - that’s pretty stark!

Yeah - it’s tough to carry on snacks. You have to pick stuff that is allowed through security, and if lines are long at airport stores, and no beverage service - that’s pretty stark!

I don't think snacks are big deal, beverages though...that's a little tougher.

I always bring some snack/protein bars and a bag of mixed nuts. Never had an issue with security, didn't even take it out of my bag.

Entering Canada at Vancouver airport, they asked if I had any nuts - so told them I had roasted salted nut mixture and they said it was fine, they were looking for raw nuts.

Fruit, boiled eggs have triggered searches in my bags. I notify ahead security of time now. I don't think you can bring a jar of peanut butter with you. Forget the yogurt. Who knows if really soft cheese would be allowed - maybe not.

One poor lady wasn't allowed on with her masa for Xmas tamales. I knew it wouldn't be permitted - my tamales were in checked baggage. And often get searched!

You do have to think about the food you try to carry through security.

Last edited:
On our flight to Vegas everyone wore a mask for boarding and exiting the plane. I saw a few people sleeping with no mask, and eating, but for the most part, everyone had them and wore them. I saw an occasional person walking in the airport without the mask on, but it was either in a pocket or around the neck. Better compliance than anywhere else I've been.

All it takes is person without a mask to circulate the virus. A personal choice to fly but I am not comfortable yet to travel by air. The virus is more than a flu and causes more internal complications. I really am getting itchy to travel understand the need to go. Good luck!

All it takes is person without a mask to circulate the virus. A personal choice to fly but I am not comfortable yet to travel by air. The virus is more than a flu and causes more internal complications. I really am getting itchy to travel understand the need to go. Good luck!
We spent the weekend with my mom and dad 3 days before they came down with it. We suspect we have had it. Even if we didn't, we are young (56, 48, and two teenagers) and very healthy. Despite the coronavirus snafus, we had a great trip and are glad we went.

Last edited:
DH/I have flights booked and motel reserved for a San Francisco trip next month to visit our youngest. Both can be cancelled with no penalties....but we certainly hope it works out.

We will be happy to walk around Golden Gate Park, masks donned, to visit with him as much as possible. I am hoping for a tour to Muir Woods with Dylan's Tours, but not counting on it. SF hotels are not yet open to tourists/leisure travel.

We are staying in a motel close to his apartment that has stayed open through this. It isn't swank; it isn't even Best Western, but we are eagerly counting the days....30 as of today. : )

We spent the weekend with my mom and dad 3 days before they came down with it. We suspect we have had it. Even if we didn't, we are young (56, 48, and two teenagers) and very healthy. Despite the coronavirus snafus, we had a great trip and are glad we went.

Are you able to get on-demand testing ?
Perhaps the close contact you had is enough justification.
It would put your mind at ease if you don't have it, and prepare you for difficulties if you have it (or just 1 of you have it) etc.

We never travel without some food, at least home made trail mix and protein bars. On flights over meal times without meal service, we always buy something in the airport after security to bring on the plane.

We never travel without some food, at least home made trail mix and protein bars. On flights over meal times without meal service, we always buy something in the airport after security to bring on the plane.

Yeah, but sounds like it’s now difficult to buy your to go meals after security due to few open places and very long lines.

Last edited:
Are you able to get on-demand testing ?
Perhaps the close contact you had is enough justification.
It would put your mind at ease if you don't have it, and prepare you for difficulties if you have it (or just 1 of you have it) etc.

On demand testing is actual covid testing for active infections. Ugeaux would benefit from an antibody test, which is different. I paid for mine but it was a month ago when they were just getting started (didn't have it... ggrrrr). But they are becoming more widely available.

On demand testing is actual covid testing for active infections. Ugeaux would benefit from an antibody test, which is different. I paid for mine but it was a month ago when they were just getting started (didn't have it... ggrrrr). But they are becoming more widely available.

When Ugeaux said the "weekend" I assumed it was a recent or last weekend, not enough time for antibody test to show anything.

A bit crazy...

Went to Vegas 6/4 (day they reopened)-6/14. DS drove in from CA on Tuesday & DH flew in Weds. (he had golf league he COULD NOT miss...)

I flew SWA direct. No middle seats, masks required. Gave us a warm can of water, straw & snack pack. I watched a movie on SWA each way. It was really nice.
Empty airports made it easy to be social distant. Most people in masks--except in the bar!

BTW plane air is refreshed (not recirculated) every 3 minutes. Truly safe.

Vegas was interesting. I had most nights comped. Did rent a car. Good/bad. Good--Uber/Lyft was hard to get. Shuttles not running (not my scene anyway).
Bad--First time ever was told to get in line to check out after turning in car. Waited THIRTY min. Won't rent from Budget again if that is the norm.

I deliberately chose most activities to minimize risk.
Pool each morning.
Ate most meals al fresco--luckily Vegas weather was glorious most days, in 80s, couple 90s.
Drove to parts of Vegas had never been to--truly some gorgeous views out there.

We are planning to retire in Vegas in 2 years so researched neighborhoods. We found some nice places w/in our budget in Sun City Summerlin. But the median age is 73--we are mid to late 50s...but other areas in Summerlin are a good 10%+ more for similar quality. Henderson is more for your $ (still nice area) but DH had found a good deal to join Sun City 3 golf courses...which is a trek from Henderson.

It was different to be sure...

Driving to Fort Worth next week. DD graduated from TCU last month & we are supposed to go down for graduation in August, but on the chance it gets cancelled we figured a trip was in order when we are off (we are teacher librarians). Little on the agenda but hanging out w/ DD--see her new place & kitties.

Looking to head back to Vegas for a week the last week of July. Taking DM75, DS will drive out again & DD since she hasn't been since she turned 21. 7 nights free. Renting car again for more exploring. Pool time. Dine al fresco. Helicopter ride over Strip. Luckily SWA is doing 60% capacity until the end of July.

DH won a poker cruise on NCL in Nov; but have heard NOTHING as to whether it is a go. Hope they push it a year. Looking to sell it honestly.

Looking to cruise Caribbean w/ DH & Europe w/ DM & DD in 2022.

Back
Top Bottom