Anyone else travel recently or in near future?

2017ish

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With international travel, this is looking like a mainly domestic travel year for us. With an unusual amount of last minute planning.

We did a week on the road to visit friends/relatives in mid-May. About 1000 miles (TN to MO, etc.) Was interesting to see differences in mask wearing depending upon locale. (Big cities vs. rural wide spots on the state highways) Not bad driving on interstates and major state highways, as there are sufficient places open for provisions, gas, and restroom breaks.

This past week, flew to Colorado to meet up with friends at a VRBO for a week of hiking, etc. Air travel is definitely impacted more by the virus response. No food/drink service to speak of, and very limited service in the airports due to lack of traffic. (United, AA, and SWA, however, were all flying at close to full capacity into Denver--with SWA limiting itself to only 67% of normal capacity right now)

Next week, we fly to Alaska for 5 weeks, including 20 days RVing. They've just removed the 14 day quarantine requirement, as long as you have a negative virus test within 72 hours of arrival (and some other requirements, including retesting in 7-10 days after you get there). Thanks to the pandemic, we were able to get nice campsite in Denali with a month notice, as well as the RV rental. If that destination is on your bucket list and, like us, you were putting it off for later, this may be a good time to hit it. (Air fare up and back was very attractive, although instate flights were not terribly marked down.)

Just back from 6 days enjoying the Oregon coast in beautiful Cannon Beach. We stayed in our RV. Enjoyed 2 restaurant meals, one outdoor and one indoor. Daily coffee shop visits. Multiple shop visits (with masks). Lots of time spent walking the beach and local hiking was much needed for us and for our pups. We encountered many happy people, visitors and locals alike. No fear, no mistrust. Just lovely.

Edit to add: heading to Chicago over 4th of July for family visits. Flights involved, so more precautions there.

Last edited:
3 trips planned for mid-August through mid-September.

1. Visit relatives (DW's side of the family) for a gathering/event in Birmingham, AL - flying in to ATL and driving from there.

2. Visit mom in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

3. Disney, FL

Was able to get great pricing from Southwest for each of them.

Just back from 6 days enjoying the Oregon coast in beautiful Cannon Beach. We stayed in our RV. Enjoyed 2 restaurant meals, one outdoor and one indoor. Daily coffee shop visits. Multiple shop visits (with masks). Lots of time spent walking the beach and local hiking was much needed for us and for our pups. We encountered many happy people, visitors and locals alike. No fear, no mistrust. Just lovely.

Edit to add: heading to Chicago over 4th of July for family visits. Flights involved, so more precautions there.

May I ask which RV park, and would you recommend it? We will be up there in summer 2021 with our RV.

I just completed getting my new TSA approved driver's license from the DMV...what a hassle. We have plans (and reservations) to visit Sandals South Coast in Jamacia for our third time (we love the wide open spaces, low occupancy, and laid back attitude). This will be happening in mid December, but we are still in flux as to how many restrictions will be in place, or if there will be a second wave that could affect our plans.

We are taking the camper to a local State Park for 4 nights starting tomorrow...1st time of the year.

Planning our first trip of the year: a week in September in Menton, France (Cote d'Azur). We are craving the seaside and early September should be lovely there. It's only a 4.5 hour drive by auto. The latest we can cancel at no charge is Aug 1, so we'll see how things are looking then and decide.

Last edited:
I just completed getting my new TSA approved driver's license from the DMV...what a hassle.

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

REAL ID deadline extended.

Due to circumstances resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic and the national emergency declaration, the Department of Homeland Security is extending the REAL ID enforcement deadline by a year. The new deadline for REAL ID enforcement is October 1, 2021. Read the announcement.

Beginning October 1, 2021, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

Last edited:
Flying Southwest next week. They are requiring masks and I don't think they're doing the cattle herd lineup anymore. Glad to have TSA PreCheck.

Last week we spent 4 nights in the Trinity Alps area near Coffee Creek, CA. We are self contained in our truck top pop up camper. Got some good hikes in to lakes and the north fork of Coffee Creek. Was good to be away from internet and just enjoy nature. Had the NF campground all to ourselves. We are planning a trip to the Steens Wilderness in NE Oregon late June.

We're in Utah right now. It was originally an extended family vacation, but mom and dad cancelled the lodge we were going to stay in after they got COVID. We're are responsible for getting our own airline tickets so we just kept ours. It's been wonderful.

We have had to make some changes. Zion was going to be a pain to get into so we're not going there this trip, and the Hoover Dam is still closed. Today we're hiking to see petroglyphs and tomorrow we're renting ATVs and doing a 40 mile trail! Grand Canyon Friday, and then back home.

Last edited:
Currently hanging out on the Columbia river. Biking, bird watching, and golfing. Next week up to the mountains near Leavenworth WA for some motorcycle trails. Then over to the ocean.

Next week we're going to Miami for a few days. I was open to going anywhere and was surprised it was one of the cheapest destinations to go to flight wise and hotel wise. I've always wanted to go, so I'm really looking forward to it.

We’re planning a long road trip in about a month to check on things at home, before returning again.

Flying Southwest next week. They are requiring masks and I don't think they're doing the cattle herd lineup anymore. Glad to have TSA PreCheck.

I hope you'll report back on this. Just spent about an hour reading feedback from recent fliers claiming that US airlines, including Southwest, are not enforcing anything COVID-related. The reports indicate that not even the flight attendants are consistently masked, forget about the passengers.

(NY Times, yesterday online)

I hope you'll report back on this. Just spent about an hour reading feedback from recent fliers claiming that US airlines, including Southwest, are not enforcing anything COVID-related. The reports indicate that not even the flight attendants are consistently masked, forget about the passengers.

Based solely on our two SWA flights Nashville/Denver, this was not true. They weren't obsessive if you were eating or drinking, but definitely enforcing masks on boarding/unloading. Didn't see anyone without mask when flying, but didn't pay that close of attention. Attendants were always masked--even when they were seated in back behind the restrooms.

Of course, given the quality of masks most were wearing, there is the question of futility--but that is another matter.

7 days ago I flew from Denver to Anchorage on UA. All passengers wore masks as instructed (except for eating or drinking). One was provided if a traveler didn’t have one. All flight attendants wore masks. All middle seats wound up being empty. UA sent a message the day before stating the plane was “full” and offered rolling the flight over to another day. I suspect this was done to give people the option of delaying for another less full flight, but that is just an assumption on my part. Hardest part of travel was the limited food options as many restaurants/fast food places weren’t open in the airport. That might have changed by now.

On our flight to Vegas everyone wore a mask for boarding and exiting the plane. I saw a few people sleeping with no mask, and eating, but for the most part, everyone had them and wore them. I saw an occasional person walking in the airport without the mask on, but it was either in a pocket or around the neck. Better compliance than anywhere else I've been.

I have tickets on AA for Alaska at the end of July. I was hesitant at first, but the ticket prices were ridiculously low, so pulled the trigger.

With Covid related medical (primarily) coverage understandably unavailable - Would you still consider international travel? There is a big push on by carriers to get up and running but I think you would have to be bonkers to risk it... And it won’t be the air carriers etc picking-up the bills of those who succumb. Stand By for all the Go Fund Me begging...

Last edited:
With Covid related coverage understandably unavailable - Would you still consider international travel? There is a big push on by carriers to get up and running but I think you would have to be bonkers to risk it... And it won’t be the air carriers etc picking-up the bills of those who succumb. Stand By for all the Go Fund Me begging...

"Covid related coverage understandably unavailable"? what type of coverage, health or travel interruption/cancellation? We don't buy the latter and haven't been informed of any changes to our travel health insurance coverage--I probably should check it to make sure before we go. But there were no exclusions for Ebola when we went to the DRC....

We will dive somewhere in the Caribbean this year once COZ or another decent destination opens up. Not expecting to have much choice on Patagonia and Antarctica (and ARG/Chile didn't play well with travelers this past go round), so have pushed them back a year.

Medical.....get sick with something they tie to covid by many Canadian insurers and your done like dinner... Same situation in the U.K...

Clauses such as this... “There will be NO COVER provided for any claim directly or indirectly caused by, arising or resulting from, or Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) or any mutation of the disease.”

https://www.pac.bluecross.ca/covid19/

We are supposed to be surprising my folks on Ibiza today..(their last overseas trip)...When it was cancelled by TUI... I tried for a refund through the credit card company (Visa) and a separate insurer we have... both said no chance... The saving grace is I booked that portion with TUI UK and was refunded in full in the end a few days ago..With Air Canada, it’s a voucher. Happy Days as Brits say....or Happy Travels ..

Last edited:
I flew domestically this last weekend for the first time since last fall and it was so pleasant! Empty airports, nearly empty plane, much-reduced traffic getting from airport to my location. If only it could always be like this!

I flew domestically this last weekend for the first time since last fall and it was so pleasant! Empty airports, nearly empty plane, much-reduced traffic getting from airport to my location. If only it could always be like this!

Unless you are an airline pilot. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom