Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
now that I know it is Marrakesh, and not Tangier or Casablanca, anyone have any ideas on what he should see in his few days around the mini-bike race, and most importantly, what he should buy me while he is there

This is all I know about it:

Looking at the world
Through the sunset in your eyes
Trying to make the train
Through clear Moroccan skies
Ducks and pigs and chickens call
Animal carpet wall to wall
American ladies five foot tall in blue

Sweeping cobwebs from the edges of my mind
Had to get away to see what we could find
Hope the days that lie ahead
Bring us back to where they've led
Listen not to what's been said to you

Would you know we're riding
On the Marrakesh Express
Would you know we're riding
On the Marrakesh Express, they're taking me to Marrakesh
All on board the train, all on board the train

I've been saving all my money just to take you there
I smell the garden in your hair

-- Graham Nash

However, I have read that Marrakech is famous for its Koutoubia, the highest mosque in North Africa. Lots of museums and old Arab palaces too. Also, don't know if it's still there, but the Hotel Mamounia was a favorite vacation spot of Winston Churchill.

I think I've settled on using points to fly AA from CHS to MAD, then use one of the cheap lines to fly him to Marrakesh (RyanAir flies there, sadly, the super cheap Air Arabia only goes to Tangier).
You could land him in Tangier and then put him on the Marrakesh Express, an overnighter from Tangier. Probably more money than paying the higher-dollar airlines though. He has visited Winslow, Arizona, so maybe another 70's song tribute event.

Last edited:
You could land him in Tangier and then put him on the Marrakesh Express, an overnighter from Tangier. Probably more money than paying the higher-dollar airlines though. He has visited Winslow, Arizona, so maybe another 70's song tribute event.

Haha! Perfect, along with the lyrics above!
I will tell him you suggested it, and it will tie in perfectly with Winslow. Just what he needs, more wallowing in songs of the 70s. :D

I saw Rick Steve's show last week. My husband now wants to ride a camel in the desert and I want to float in the Dead Sea. Maybe this will happen in 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

On the spur of the moment, just booked 3 time shares. One week each in 3 locations, with one in Montana and one in Colorado serving as stops for my RV trip in April/May. Yes, after the fly/drive trip then the cruise late last year, the missus is OK with RV'ing again. In fact, she was asking about it. :)

The last timeshare week is in Mexico, a 2-bedroom that we will use along with our daughter and son-in-law in June.

When we are done with all that, summer has not reached its peak, so will need to think of something to do till the end of year. Maybe just go up to the high-country home to work on its deck?

On the spur of the moment, just booked 3 time shares. One week each in 3 locations, with one in Montana and one in Colorado serving as stops for my RV trip in April/May. Yes, after the fly/drive trip then the cruise late last year, the missus is OK with RV'ing again. In fact, she was asking about it. :)

The last timeshare week is in Mexico, a 2-bedroom unit that we will use along with our daughter and son-in-law in June.

When we are done with all that, summer has not reached its peak, so will need to think of something to do till the end of year. Maybe just go up to the high-country home to work on its deck? Some ideas may come up later, like fall in Europe?

Last edited:
We will be spending 10 days in Santa Fe and Taos MN. I discovered that Southwest has a site where it will list the lowest fares in a whole month for a flight. We scored some $103 flights where the max was $186. I love being retired so we can be that flexible.
Also found a hotel through Kayak at 44% off, that the Tauck (top of the line tours) stay at.

Hey, so I'm trying to book DH for his trip in April to Morocco. I think a few of you folks have been there (rodi?). Any tips?

I think I've settled on using points to fly AA from CHS to MAD, then use one of the cheap lines to fly him to Marrakesh (RyanAir flies there, sadly, the super cheap Air Arabia only goes to Tangier).

But now that I know it is Marrakesh, and not Tangier or Casablanca, anyone have any ideas on what he should see in his few days around the mini-bike race, and most importantly, what he should buy me while he is there, for being The Best Wife in the World? :)

Sorry.... didn't see this.

First - does Bestwifeever know you're trying to mimic her moniker with Best wife in the world?

As far as Morocco - we approached by sea... a ferry from Algiceras, Spain to Tangier. We stayed in Tangier... Loved the medina (walled city portion - old, windy streets, markets, very cool.)

My sister was there last summer - again - went from Spain, by ferry to Morocco - then made her way over to Tunisia to see a friend. I have no experience about Marrakesh.

Planning a road trip along Pacific Coast Highway, etc from LA to Seattle or Vancouver . Hopefully pull it off this summer - fly to LA, get rental car, spend 8-10 days driving the west coast, visit Yosemite, Portland, Seattle, maybe Vancouver, then fly home.

...now that I know it is Marrakesh, and not Tangier or Casablanca, anyone have any ideas on what he should see in his few days around the mini-bike race...

Minibike race like this? It would be a lot of fun.

We received a flier from Cunard with a list of specials so today we booked our return trip for our planned vacation this year. (We sail to Southampton from Houston on April 17).

We are now booked on Queen Mary 2 on November 5th Southampton to New York for $799. (7 nights, inside cabin).

We received a flier from Cunard with a list of specials so today we booked our return trip for our planned vacation this year. (We sail to Southampton from Houston on April 17).

We are now booked on Queen Mary 2 on November 5th Southampton to New York for $799. (7 nights, inside cabin).

$799/person or for both of you? Either way it looks like a good deal.

Planning a road trip along Pacific Coast Highway, etc from LA to Seattle or Vancouver . Hopefully pull it off this summer - fly to LA, get rental car, spend 8-10 days driving the west coast, visit Yosemite, Portland, Seattle, maybe Vancouver, then fly home.

I love that drive. I did it several times when I lived in Bellingham, WA, and family was here in San Diego....

Just a note. It takes longer to go from San Simeon to Santa Cruz than you'd think... Plan a full day for that part of the drive. Very windy (very beautiful) roads.

Also consider visiting Hearst Castle when you're in the central coast area. I've done every tour they have - my favorite was the kitchen tour, LOL.

$799/person or for both of you? Either way it looks like a good deal.

That is for each person.

The best we've done was the Queen Elizabeth for $499 New York to Southampton in March 2013. That was on the last leg of a round the world cruise so they were just trying to fill cabins.

Wow!

And that's fast!! I guess you were already needing this, and it showed up in the mail so you acted the same day?

Preparedness.....

I love that drive. I did it several times when I lived in Bellingham, WA, and family was here in San Diego....

Just a note. It takes longer to go from San Simeon to Santa Cruz than you'd think... Plan a full day for that part of the drive. Very windy (very beautiful) roads.

Also consider visiting Hearst Castle when you're in the central coast area. I've done every tour they have - my favorite was the kitchen tour, LOL.

Thanks for the tips! As to the Castle - DW is really up for that tour.

After the Castle, plan on spending the night in Monterey.
Fantastic aquarium and I could spend hours just watching the sea otters from the pier.

Thanks for the tips! As to the Castle - DW is really up for that tour.

If you take Cal 1 up from San Simeon be aware it is essentially a mountain road with lots of ups and downs this is the route thru Big Sur. So it is both twisty and has lots of ups and downs as well as nice pullouts to look at the ocean.

DH booked tickets for Stockholm in September. We will be there for 2 weeks, still pondering the itinerary.

Wow!

And that's fast!! I guess you were already needing this, and it showed up in the mail so you acted the same day?

Preparedness.....

Yes indeed. When we booked our re-positioning cruise for April we looked at potential return dates ~6 months later and priced that cruise. It was $1,600 and we knew that closer to the sail date there should be much better prices, but we didn't expect an offer to come out as early as this. ( this offer ends April 15 )

Yes indeed. When we booked our re-positioning cruise for April we looked at potential return dates ~6 months later and priced that cruise. It was $1,600 and we knew that closer to the sail date there should be much better prices, but we didn't expect an offer to come out as early as this. ( this offer ends April 15 )

Nice! Congrats!

After the Castle, plan on spending the night in Monterey.
Fantastic aquarium and I could spend hours just watching the sea otters from the pier.

Definitely want to see the sea lions and aquarium in Monterey, and the sea cave. Looks like great places to take some photos. From there, we're cutting northeast to Yosemite, then back on track to San Francisco.

If you take Cal 1 up from San Simeon be aware it is essentially a mountain road with lots of ups and downs this is the route thru Big Sur. So it is both twisty and has lots of ups and downs as well as nice pullouts to look at the ocean.

Good tip. I need to check travel times on some of these routes to plan this correctly.

Definitely want to see the sea lions .

Been there a few times; a 'slight odor' but these are wild animals.......the set up is great, viewers are in a darkened area above this huge cave which opens directly to the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom