Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our son reported last month that crossing the border into Croatia was an extremely tedious endeavour. They are trying to ferret out illegals, especially those coming from Albania.

Our friends are in Croatia now. They report exactly the same thing. Hours of waiting at the border. Not so good for tourism.

Peru in December with Overseas Adventure Travel-- small groups with guides!

We are boarding the plane for Berlin this afternoon (BA business class with beds).
Here are some pics of the condo and the landlord:

Attachments

• KirstinSchiefelbein.jpeg
    KirstinSchiefelbein.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 25
  • BerlinCondo.jpg
    BerlinCondo.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 27
Iceland next month, one of the few package tours (If this is Tuesday,it must be Reykjavik) I've allowed DW to talk me into. I prefer seat of the pants tourism, but I'll give it a whirl.

Tree-dweller I'd be interested in the name of the tour company and how you like the tour of Iceland. Iceland is on my bucket list.

So I'm going to be in Korea in 3 weeks and I'm wondering if they've gone cashless like most of Europe?

"most of Europe"? Not from my experience. Indeed, many places I went in Europe were cash-only, and even if they accepted cards one got dirty looks or excuses ("oh, our machine is broken".) Sure, hotels, restaurants and larger stores took cards, but a lot of the smaller places did not.

We use lots of cash in Europe. One big reason is that often score discounts on accommodation by asking if there is a discount for cash. There often is. Especially so in Italy, Greece, and Turkey.

Even on my last European trip just a month ago, no restaurant I ate at would take a credit card if the bill was less than €25 (sometimes €50). Cash only.

So I'm going to be in Korea in 3 weeks and I'm wondering if they've gone cashless like most of Europe?

The only place I've visited in Europe that has a strong cashless preference has been Amsterdam. Not so much in the rest of the Netherlands, and definitely not in France, Germany, Belgium, Austria and Spain.

I only go to Europe twice a year. I was in Dublin for April 2016, Avalon / Paris for October 2016, and Belgium / Amsterdam / Luxembourg for April to May 2017 staying in larger hotels (Hiltons). Outside of about 100€ on each trip everything else was on my debit card. no issues using cards for transit, Starbucks, or grocers (delis). Hoping for the same in Japan / Korea. Sounds like that's not possible

Last edited:
We also found that there is a big hate on for American Express cards. Probably something to do with commission. We stopped using one some time ago...lots of objections from vendors who preferred VISA, MC or were willing to negotiate a cash deal.

We also found that there is a big hate on for American Express cards.

In Nairobi, mid 1980s, the lady in a Indian store asked if we had another card.....said AMX were "Slow payers".

In Belize, early 1990s, a small thatched hut 'resort' charged a premium for AMX...same reason.

(Card was my late wife's....we dumped it not long after the second incident.)

Munich for two weeks at the end of the year. Looking forward to a winter Xmas, the Weihnachtsmarkt, and the fun of an almost 4yo unwrapping his presents

The tearing paper off will be taken care off by his 6 months old brother I'm quite sure. Just can't wait to see them all, but I have a soft spot for toddlers ❤️

In 16 days we leave for Bulgaria.....followed by a transatlantic from Rome.

We'd already placed a deposit on another TA from Barcelona to Miami in mid-October next year, and yesterday, (price was too good to resist.....$370 US base price for an 'obstructed view' cabin on deck 9), booked from Santo Domingo to Lisbon departing April 14, 2018.......

Not sure what we'll do when we disembark in Lisbon, but we were talking online yesterday with a friend from Adelaide, South Australia, (whom we met on the same cruise line earlier this year), who will arrive there, (same line, from a different direction), a couple days beforehand.

Hopefully we can connect....she's talking of perhaps doing a section of the Camino de Santiago and/or (another friend of hers is meeting up with her along the way), spending a little time in Ireland.

We are, like Pavlov's dogs, open to autosuggestion. :LOL:

DW and I just finished packing our dive gear. Leaving for Bonaire at 2:45 in the morning. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom