Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't arrange stopovers to break up the long sit then consider Delta's Comfort Class. We choose that and didn't have issues with swollen ankles or numb fannies.

No need to. There is no non-stop flight from SFO to SJO. My one stop layovers are 4, and 2 hours, respectively.

We are going to Santa Monica next week for 10 days to visit DD, who moved there a few months ago. Never been out of LA airport before so this will be a new place for us.

Gone to Cozumel for a bit. Just across the way, but still "travel" in my book. Meeting some friends from Dallas cruising through our neck of the woods...

Europe in the spring. Cruise up the Danube from Budapest to Passau, then on land to Prague. Then to Ireland for some family time.

Europe in the spring. Cruise up the Danube from Budapest to Passau, then on land to Prague. Then to Ireland for some family time.
Hope you have better weather in Ireland than we did this year. In May we spent 2 weeks in Donegal followed by 2 weeks in Connemara and it was very cold and very wet most of the time.

We still had a great time and won't stop us going back again and again, it's a beautiful country.

We are going to Santa Monica next week for 10 days to visit DD, who moved there a few months ago. Never been out of LA airport before so this will be a new place for us.

Watch the traffic. It's not the best place to drive around. :cool:

Planning a trip to Hong Kong in January, and half thinking of a side train trip into China ( HK to Beijing ). Any input on train travel in China? Unfortunately, the link between HK and Beijing is not on the high speed bullet train.

Planning a trip to Hong Kong in January, and half thinking of a side train trip into China ( HK to Beijing ). Any input on train travel in China? Unfortunately, the link between HK and Beijing is not on the high speed bullet train.

Only one visit to China, more than 20 years ago.
Some trains were OK, but others were so incredibly horrible that we were ready to jump off. I would work with an experienced travel agent to make sure you get the former, not the latter.

Unless you really like being on a train for 24 hours, I suggest you fly (3 1/2 hours).

Thanks braumeister and Meadbh. It was just a thought because I might see more and the real China by taking the train. I think some trains have sleeping berths. I have to talk to a travel agent to see if it is practical.

Just added a two week late January stopover in Panama to our South American trip. From first blush, hotels seem more expensive in Panama that they were in Costa Rica. We are using our airline reward points to go. We are allowed one stopover and one open jaw so we are making the most of it.

If this is your first trip to Panama, do NOT miss the tour of the canal locks. One of the most remarkable engineering feats you'll see in your life.

We are supposed to have our "dream vacation" this coming October. Now, it appears we may be selling our business and retiring early (56&50) and I don't think I can justify the expense. While working, not a big deal with plenty of income coming in, but we probably won't have as much of a buffer as we would like money wise - and on top of that I'm a super conservative investor. (But timing is right for sale and I'm just so over it after 25 years).

So plan is 7 night transatlantic cruise on Queen Mary 2 to England.... then ten or eleven days to spend in England and/or Ireland and/or Wales. Then back to the port to take another 12 night transatlantic back to Florida with a stop in Spain. Entire cost will probably be around $13,000.

I'm torn.... would you guys do it? It would be perfect since for the first time in 25 years we won't be worried about the business while we try to travel for a week. This will be about a month.

Also, any recommendations for the 10 nights in England/Ireland/Wales? I'm thinking of skipping Ireland (only because of the rental car/ferry/transportation hassle) and spending three nights in the Cotswolds, a couple nights in London and a few nights in Wales.

Deb

So plan is 7 night transatlantic cruise on Queen Mary 2 to England.... then ten or eleven days to spend in England and/or Ireland and/or Wales. Then back to the port to take another 12 night transatlantic back to Florida with a stop in Spain. Entire cost will probably be around $13,000.

I'm torn.... would you guys do it? It would be perfect since for the first time in 25 years we won't be worried about the business while we try to travel for a week. This will be about a month.

Also, any recommendations for the 10 nights in England/Ireland/Wales? I'm thinking of skipping Ireland (only because of the rental car/ferry/transportation hassle) and spending three nights in the Cotswolds, a couple nights in London and a few nights in Wales.

Deb

If the cost is $13,000 for two people, that seems very reasonable.

Only you can decide whether you want to do it. It sounds like a great start to RE. If you are worried about what $13,000 will do to the sustainability of your portfolio, then I question whether you are ready to retire. Assuming it's a once off event, of course!

I am from Ireland (not living there currently) and I think that trying to squeeze two ferry journeys and a "quick look" around Ireland into a 10 day vacation based in England is crazy. There is so much to see in England that you will easily find the time flies. Your Cotswolds/London/Wales plan will probably make for 10 full days. Remember, you will be ER. It.is.time.to...S…L…O…W...d.o.w.n.

Last edited:

Deb

Your call. All I can say is that life is short and then you die :(.

Just spent 1 month in Hong Kong and loved it.

No experience with train, but took bus from Guangxi to Guangzhou and can say avoid at all cost. I would say avoid train unless you can get a private room. I've heard some really horrible hygie stories.

Thanks for the input, comicbookgujy. I did notice the messiness of the toilets on the plane even in long trans-Pacific flight, so 2 day long trip on the train likely will be much worse. I have pretty much written off the idea of taking the train if I do take a side trip to China.

Last edited:
Your call. All I can say is that life is short and then you die :(.

Yeah, I think we are going to do it! It will probably realistically be more like $15,000 but I'm hoping that we will be really scaling down so it won't be that much of a hit. Also, in all of the calculators, I've been using 1% return or interest - so if I can manage to get more than that - with my CD ladder and 30% equity index funds... I'll be that much more ahead.

And I agree, so I think staying in the England/Wales area - a few nights in 3 locations will suit us just fine. Now to convince DH to rent a car - he is stressed about driving on back roads on the wrong side of the road!

Deb

Yeah, I think we are going to do it! It will probably realistically be more like $15,000 but I'm hoping that we will be really scaling down so it won't be that much of a hit. Also, in all of the calculators, I've been using 1% return or interest - so if I can manage to get more than that - with my CD ladder and 30% equity index funds... I'll be that much more ahead.

And I agree, so I think staying in the England/Wales area - a few nights in 3 locations will suit us just fine. Now to convince DH to rent a car - he is stressed about driving on back roads on the wrong side of the road!

Deb

Driving back roads is fairly easy. We had the non driver help with 'stay left chants' through corners. Learn the proper way to go through roundabouts.

The problems arise when our instinctive driving habits kick in. Someone coming at me on the wrong side, quick go right. We had a bunch of expats in the UK, all of them clipped off side mirrors. One guy totaled a car, no injury, his instinct kicked in and tried to pass an oncoming car on the right side.

Best wishes,
MRG

DW and I plan to travel after the new year. The choice: Havana or Miami. She wants Miami (shopping). I want Havana (coolness and NO SHOPPING). Wish me luck!

galeno, I'm sure Miami will be very nice, and you can probably find some Cuban food while you are there. :)

You will find all things Cuban, in Miami. It's just Miami, not Cuba. I'd love to visit Cuba sometime, not sure about the US - Cuba travel laws. I so wish this old dispute would go away, allowing both countries to benefit.

Best wishes,
MRG

I had a bad feeling about this. I'm not ready to accept the FACT that we're going to Miami.

My oldest daughter's boyfriend and I will be in Brazil for the world cup. Go CR! And if we fail: go USA!. We'll be close to the Uruguayan border so you know we'll be going down there to see the revolution.

I had a bad feeling about this. I'm not ready to accept the FACT that we're going to Miami. My oldest daughter's boyfriend and I will be in Brazil for the world cup. Go CR! And if we fail: go USA!. We'll be close to the Uruguayan border so you know we'll be going down there to see the revolution.

Wow that is a pretty good consolation for having to go to Miami! :)
The World Cup is going to be huge! I wanted to make it to Paraguay at some point, but we've only been to Peru so far in South America. Uruguay should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom