Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our original plan was to drive to FL to get away from the worst of winter and rent a place for a couple months but then my aunt's memorial service was scheduled for late January in San Diego. At that point I figured that I would just make a quick trip from Florida to California for the that weekend.

Then DW butted in, saying that if we were going to California that we might as well go from there to Hawaii. So Florida is off and we will be spending about 10 days in southern California, then a week on the Big Island, a week on Oahu and then 3 weeks in Austin visiting relatives, returning home at the end of February in time for the college hockey post-season and spring skiing.

Interesting that this whirlwind tour is only a little more (less than $1,000) than if we had just gone to Florida and made a quick trip to California for the memorial service since I was able to score some pretty good deals on airfare and rental cars.

I just booked a trip to Yountville in the Napa valley, staying at the Vintage Inn. The town is Foodie Heaven. I plan on eating, reading, soaking at the spa, and sleeping. This is my retirement present to myself. I will be one month and one week retired by then!

I just booked a trip to Yountville in the Napa valley, staying at the Vintage Inn. The town is Foodie Heaven. I plan on eating, reading, soaking at the spa, and sleeping. This is my retirement present to myself. I will be one month and one week retired by then!
Eat a chocolate croissant at bouchon. One of the best things I have ever had

We are taking a quick trip to New Orleans to celebrate my birthday .Plan on visiting the World War 2 museum , maybe the civil war museum & visiting the various restaurants & jazz clubs.

Just booked a cruise from Sydney to various ports in New Zealand, early November over a 2 week period.

For a month prior to that we'll be in Hobart, Tasmania. July through end of September we'll be in Australia, flexible itinerary.

Just booked a cruise from Sydney to various ports in New Zealand, early November over a 2 week period.

For a month prior to that we'll be in Hobart, Tasmania. July through end of September we'll be in Australia, flexible itinerary.

Jealous!!!! Wow, what an adventure! Are you aware of the potential for housesitting in Australia? Check out housecarers.com.

Wow, 5 months! You must be wealthy or something......:LOL:

Flying to New Zealand this afternoon for a bike tour. We booked business class with FF miles and all but the return leg to Honolulu ended up in first class. Should be nice for such a long trip.

Flying to New Zealand this afternoon for a bike tour. We booked business class with FF miles and all but the return leg to Honolulu ended up in first class. Should be nice for such a long trip.

Brilliant, that sounds fantastic.

Jealous!!!! Wow, what an adventure! Are you aware of the potential for housesitting in Australia? Check out housecarers.com.

Thanks, house sitting is not something we have ever tried, but I'll pass on the suggestion to my travel agent (DW).

Fortunately we have plenty of friends and relatives to [-]dump on[/-] stay with on the mainland. In fact my brother and his wife and daughters all work 2.5 hrs drive in from the coastal town of McKay where they own houses, so we will actually be doing some house sitting since they don't live there during the week.

We have just sent off an inquiry for a place to rent for a month in Tasmania, close to the center of Hobart.

Wow, 5 months! You must be wealthy or something......:LOL:

Just no plans to leave anything to the kids :D

This will be our 5th year of traveling for 5+ months each year. I'm sure we'll tire of it eventually, or our bodies will shout ENOUGH ALREADY!

There are a lot more people announcing expensive travel plans this year than previous. Or is it my imagination?

The market is doing well, that's for sure. Hey, I am flush too, but because my health may not recover sufficiently for full travel enjoyment, I am not making any plan right now. So, I am envious. Maybe we will travel in fall.

All this spending will feed the global economic boom, as I read that businesses may also increase cap ex. I like it! I will hold off on any further rebalancing for a while to enjoy the ride up.

Here's to our wealth, until the next bust!

Last edited:
We are cruising to Eastern Caribbean next month. Gotta spend that RMD, don't ya know? Plus, we gotta do it while we still can.

Seven day cruise tomorrow and again in Feb. Both times just to exercise, use the Thallasotherapy pool, steam room, dining room and relax with a book and a beer. Then a few months later we have air tickets to Scotland with a car rental for 2 weeks to see what we can see. We are looking forward to visiting some old castles and lochs. I have a few mobility issues that limits any strenuous walking but my wife is excited to hike the highlands.

Cheers!

Seven day cruise tomorrow and again in Feb.

One of the benefits of living in Florida would be the ease of hopping on a last-minute cruise. Enjoy! :)

I'm planning to ride my motorcycle to Alaska in June. 8500 miles in three weeks. Practicing this weekend with a 1400 mile, three-day jaunt through the Trans-Pecos region of Texas (Big Bend, Presidio,Alpine,etc). This also involves tent-camping!

Hey, I'd love a PM with any of your route planning. We'll be leaving from Seattle and heading north for a bit before returning to the lower 48 and across in the bus, probably late May-early June. I'm working a plan for the Cassiar (side trip to Stewart from Meziadin Lake) and then up to the Alcan. Debating whether making it to the Arctic Circle is bucket-list important, or if we should just turn right and make our way back down through Jasper and all that to Hwy 93.

We've got four weeks total, and the plan calls for a good sized layover in Denver area for breweries and the Trail Ridge Road, as well as some other sites out west, so we don't have a huge amount of time for BC/Yukon region.

Appreciate any help, and maybe we'll see you on the road. Can't miss the big yellow school bus, that's for sure!

We've got four weeks total, and the plan calls for a good sized layover in Denver area for breweries and the Trail Ridge Road, as well as some other sites out west, so we don't have a huge amount of time for BC/Yukon region.

This wouldn't have anything to do with recent developments in Colorado, would it? :cool:

This wouldn't have anything to do with recent developments in Colorado, would it? :cool:

Cough, cough, we do have a few members of the bus passenger union who specifically requested the Colorado stop. :cool:

I want to go to Shambala Mountain Center and a whole bunch of breweries, myself. :angel:

Cough, cough, we do have a few members of the bus passenger union who specifically requested the Colorado stop. :cool:

I want to go to Shambala Mountain Center and a whole bunch of breweries, myself. :angel:

That's one heck of an itinerary, and it is admirable how you go out of your way to accommodate your fellow travelers. :)

Is it a matter of time before they suggest you repaint the bus from its current boring yellow color? ;)

Keseys-Bus-1990-version.jpg

Ha, ha, ha, reminds me I have parts of an old painted bus on the ranch. Just west of me is Dripping Springs, my fellow Americans, were growing pot here as it is one of the only year round sources of water. I have a LE (law enforcement) friend that would do half-hearted searches here just to watch the circus. Lots of free love, chanting, and nudity. Gee I miss those days, I think I will get out the drum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Going on a one month Pacific cruise to central and south America. Farthest south is Lima, Peru for 3 days.

I love the paint job on that bus!! Maybe before we do the PanAmerican we will have to improve ours like it! Right now it is covered with signatures, place names, and well-wishes in every language we encountered on the trip. Lots of Russian writing, among others.

I do what I can to make the bus ride harmonious, lol. I do have a lot more folks keen for that leg than the one through the Yukon and northern British Columbia, that's for sure.

Here's a VW for inspiration. These were slightly before my time, as I was in my mid-teen when the hippies were roaming in the US.

Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie

bus1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom