Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are on a very long roadtrip and landed right now in Gulf Shores AL. Wow, love the beach area here. Nice to be here this time, very empty, nice weather.

We went through New Orleans - are we just getting old or is it more seedy than it was previously? We had not been for 10 years.....

Phoning from the UK to US

I'm doing some planning for a trip to the UK and wanted to glean info from the braintrust here concerning phoning/text back home while away. I'm cell phone illiterate since I always had the megacorp-supplied blackberry.

Clark Howard usually is a decent starting point, so I found this page:

Using Cell Phones Overseas | www.clarkhoward.com

In that page he said he got a GSM quad band phone for $14 that would let him call home for $0.06/min.

When I shop that site (LG L20 pay as you go deals and upgrade offers from £19.95 | The Carphone Warehouse), I get a phone for $32 and calling home for $0.59/min! That's a smart phone, though. But all of the cheaper phones only had dual band, afaik, not quad.

Phones in Europe:

I bought a really cheap "BLU" dual-SIM quad GSM (dumb) phone from Amazon that cost $25. Went by a T-mobile shop and picket up a SIM and $10 worth of time just to test it and make sure everything works. Worked like a charm as soon as I put in the activated SIM. When we arrive in Europe we'll by a SIM in Amsterdam for local calls (mainly to make it easy on SIL), and I'll pick up another SIM when we reach Austria.

So Audrey, How did it go when you picked-up the SIM cards in the various countries?

Anyone with experience buying those SIM cards overseas, anything to share? Did you find it difficult to select a carrier when you got there? How would you know if the locations you'll be will have coverage?

I'm over on Amazon now with a search "dual SIM quad GSM unlocked" and I've got 75 phones that are under $35. I have no clue which to pick. And that would leave the SIM decision for when I land in the UK (or not? can one shop for and have SIM sent, or is that even worth it?)

While in the UK, I'll probably want to call to confirm travel arrangements while 'on the go'. I can bring my Android phone and connect it to wifi if I'm in a location with wifi, so can call home for free (if I want to yack a long time). But if the wifi is slow or has high latency, it can be almost impossible to talk. So I'd like the flexibility to be able to phone home if I can't get on good wifi.

February 2015 - road trip (retirement celebration with DH). We live in the Seattle area and are headed South (down the coast) then East then North again. No time limit set yet. It is a wait and see trip. We can stay gone as long as we want. We have a 17' travel trailer we will be using - so there might be a purchase to size up to a bigger trailer if we feel the need. So excited! More trips next year just not planned yet.

We have a similar size trailer, have 'survived' living in it together for trips as long as 10 weeks at a time, and have done the route you are perusing numerous times since ER'ing. Never get tired of our west coast scenery. Let me know if you need any RV park or campground referrals. :)

I'm doing some planning for a trip to the UK and wanted to glean info from the braintrust here concerning phoning/text back home while away. I'm cell phone illiterate since I always had the megacorp-supplied blackberry.

Clark Howard usually is a decent starting point, so I found this page:

Using Cell Phones Overseas | www.clarkhoward.com

In that page he said he got a GSM quad band phone for $14 that would let him call home for $0.06/min.

When I shop that site (LG L20 pay as you go deals and upgrade offers from £19.95 | The Carphone Warehouse), I get a phone for $32 and calling home for $0.59/min! That's a smart phone, though. But all of the cheaper phones only had dual band, afaik, not quad.

So Audrey, How did it go when you picked-up the SIM cards in the various countries?

Anyone with experience buying those SIM cards overseas, anything to share? Did you find it difficult to select a carrier when you got there? How would you know if the locations you'll be will have coverage?

I'm over on Amazon now with a search "dual SIM quad GSM unlocked" and I've got 75 phones that are under $35. I have no clue which to pick. And that would leave the SIM decision for when I land in the UK (or not? can one shop for and have SIM sent, or is that even worth it?)

While in the UK, I'll probably want to call to confirm travel arrangements while 'on the go'. I can bring my Android phone and connect it to wifi if I'm in a location with wifi, so can call home for free (if I want to yack a long time). But if the wifi is slow or has high latency, it can be almost impossible to talk. So I'd like the flexibility to be able to phone home if I can't get on good wifi.

Is your Android phone unlocked?

If it is chances are you can use it in the UK.

If not, you just need a quad-band GSM phone, if you primarily care about voice.

If you want to use a lot of data if you're away from Wifi, then you would want an unlocked smart phone unless your Android phone is already unlocked.

Here's info. on how to check if your phone is unlocked:

Check iPhone Or Android Device's Factory Unlock Status | Redmond Pie

May also find that it's not that expensive to unlock. YOu can google "unlock (your Android phone model)" and see what comes up.

If you only care about voice and maybe SMS, you can just pick up any quad-band GSM phone, doesn't have to be a smart phone.

But if you're really interested in calling back home and speaking a lot, you will get much better deals calling from a landline than a cell phone.

For instance the "3" network is one of the cheapest mobile carriers in the UK but their rates for calling to the US is 56 pence a minute or almost a dollar:

Destination Details - Calling & messaging from the UK - Pay As You Go - Roaming & international - Support - Three

I think that rate isn't that much more than what US carriers charge for roaming, often 99 cents.

You could look into International Calling Cards either here or once you arrive. But again, low rates may only be available from land lines, not cell phones.

Another possibility is the T-Mobile Simple Choice plan. They offer international roaming at 20 cents a minute and free unlimited texts and free unlimited data.

The data is really slow though, only about 128kb per second or a bit faster than the old dialup modems. BUt I've used it on my iPad Mini Retina in Italy and Germany and it's good enough for downloading email, light browsing and using Google Maps.

If your Android phone is unlocked, you should be able to get on a month-to-month T-Mobile Simple Choice plan. Of course the big caveat is that their network coverage isn't as strong as Verizon or AT&T depending on where you live.

Just leveraged a couple of Las Vegas travel deals to put together a fun midweek stay in December. Two nights at the Monte Carlo for $44 a night, including a $50 beverage credit which we are looking forward to putting to good use . . . love me some fancy martinis!

As part of the same deal, I picked up discounted tickets to see Blue Man Group, also at the Monte Carlo. No deals for our second show, 'O' at the Bellagio, but because of our midweek stay, I was able to find seats still available in the first row of Section C, where the 'cheap seats' start, ensuring unobstructed sight lines. I finished off by purchasing Travel Zoo vouchers for two nights of what should be pretty nice dining, first at Andre's (Monte Carlo) then Nobu (Hard Rock). We don't care to gamble, so we'll fill in any remaining time either walking along the strip taking in the holiday sights, or hanging out at the Monte Carlo gym and spa.

It does take a bit of time to track down and put together these kind of discounted trips, but I get a thrill out of the hunt, so for me it's fun, not work.

Last edited:
BTW, if you use Skype, you can install the app on your Android phone and "call" back to the US with it.

Even if the Wifi is slow, it should be good enough for voice Skype calls, and probably will be okay for choppy video calls.

Of course the person(s) you contact must install Skype on their computer or device and set up a Skype account.

Using Skype between computers or devices is free. You can use Skype to call cell phones and land lines but then you have to put in some Skype credit, which should still be cheaper than calling internationally from a cell phone.

Then, your concern is more about having data, especially away from a Wifi network. There are mobile plans for data, but again, you have to have a smart phone which is unlocked.

Leaving next week on a 7 day cruise out of Houston. Booked it on a whim late one night; price was quite good for an oceanview. To ports we care nothing about and the added fees & expenses make --what seemed like such a great bargain late that night--seem maybe not so great. Plus, not the months to research and figure out best excursions - if we did want to disembark at ports.

Am I excited to stay in Kemah, TX one night and then cruise, perhaps staying on the boat for most of those days:confused: HECK, YEAH!!!! :dance:

Let me know how you liked the cruise, I almost booked the same week - great rates if you can wait until the last minute!

The Changing Face of Travel – Intelligent Travel

Traveler‘s 30-year history coincides, roughly, with the rise of travel as a widespread phenomenon. As we celebrate the magazine’s anniversary, I asked a dozen movers and shakers in the Nat[ional] Geo[graphic] Travel family to share the biggest changes they’ve seen in the past three decades—and their hopes for the future.

Here’s what they had to say:

We finalized our vacation plans for next year in terms of longer trips. We are going to visit Spain for a couple of weeks in late March and cruise to Alaska in August/Sept.

We will likely do a last minute flight to an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean when we are sick of the cold in Jan or Feb.

Looks like we'll have a day free in Atlanta next month.
Anyone have a good suggestion for an activity?

Let me know how you liked the cruise, I almost booked the same week - great rates if you can wait until the last minute!

We enjoyed it very much! Kemah was fun. Our hotel was across street from T-Bone Tom's Steakhouse where they have $1 drafts M-F evenings. That got everything off to a good start.

First time we had booked with NCL. Embarkation and debarkation were a breeze. Our favorite port was Trujillo, Honduras. If you book that itinerary, make sure you eat breakfast outside that morning. The view will take your breath away.

Do you ever use Cruise Critic? There is a thread of reviews/photos on this cruise. We'd do it again in a heartbeat, (although hopefully, we can find good rates for E Caribbean or Alaska next time).

We visited with a guest who said he works for vacationstogo and usually sails for them on what he called "exploratory cruises." Said he booked this one on his own dime because it was an NCL cruise for a Carnival price and he just could not pass it up.

My first thought would be the Coke museum. Of course, I've never been to Atlanta, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

On my side, I'm flying to Bali in less than 2 weeks, where I'll board a month-long cruise traveling through southeast Asia. :dance:

It's been a while, but I have occasionally been caught in Atlanta with extra time.

There is usually something interesting on exhibit at the High Museum or Art, which is downtown. Current Exhibitions

If you don't mind driving to the outskirts, we usually enjoy the hike up Stone Mountain. Haven't ever stayed for the night time light show, but that's very popular. Stone Mountain Park - Atlanta Hiking Trails

We did this a long time ago: You can go see where Scarlett O'Hara was "born": Visit the Margaret Mitchell House | Atlanta History Center

Or do a self tour of the Olympic park: Visitor Center | Centennial Olympic Park

The Audio Walking Tour, which is downloadable via a smartphone, provides an opportunity for visitors to experience the Park at their convenience. At their own pace, visitors can enjoy and learn about Atlanta, Centennial Olympic Park and the continued legacy of the 1996 Olympic Games. This self-guided audio tour through the Park is packed with history, architecture, quirky trivia, original music and interviews. The walking tour begins and ends at the Parks Visitor Center and is an hour long loop.

Adding to the other ideas already posted..
When we have 1st time visitors to Atlanta we always take them to the
Dekalb Farmers Market at 3000 E Ponce De Leon Ave, Decatur, GA 30030

and the Varsity
at 61 N Ave NWAtlanta, GA 3030

We're planning a trip to Greece for late August 2015. This is a Rick Steves tour and we've never done a longish tour before. Looks fun and relieves us of the burden of making arrangements there.

Will fly nonstop to Zurich (11.5 hr flight). Then hop to Greece. After Greece we might fly to Amsterdam and do the Netherlands area on our own. Still pondering this stuff but the length of the trip will probably be a month or so.

We just bought our tickets for Spain in late March/early April next year. So excited! We were able to get free tickets with FF miles. Will visit Sevilla, Granada, Barcelona, and Madrid for about 2.5 weeks. Our first visit to Spain.

We're planning a trip to Greece for late August 2015. This is a Rick Steves tour and we've never done a longish tour before. Looks fun and relieves us of the burden of making arrangements there.

Will fly nonstop to Zurich (11.5 hr flight). Then hop to Greece. After Greece we might fly to Amsterdam and do the Netherlands area on our own. Still pondering this stuff but the length of the trip will probably be a month or so.

This sounds great. We have not down a "tour" yet. I have been trying to get my husband to try one. He likes to travel alone (with me).

We just bought our tickets for Spain in late March/early April next year. So excited! We were able to get free tickets with FF miles. Will visit Sevilla, Granada, Barcelona, and Madrid for about 2.5 weeks. Our first visit to Spain.

We are planning this trip for 2016! I want a full report please!

We have three trips planned for the next six months, from the ridiculous to the sublime: Vegas, Cozumel, Japan.

Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada (frozen north) for 3 days over Christmas, then to beaches in Thailand and Malaysia for six weeks on New Years day.

Cannot wait.....for the beach and warm weather that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom