Asheville NC

f35phixer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Heading down to Jekyll Island with DD and DSIL and kids this Friday thru following Sunday. Being retired we have nothing to do, so thought about stopping at Asheville for couple days on way home. Is the Biltmore really worth 180 for the day? I can't get a ticket till 1200ish. So instead we will got to North Carolina Arboretum and take things in. I can always go back to see Biltmore later.....

Any other things to do in Asheville, Nice restaurants :confused:??

Price does seem steep. I have visited many years ago when it was much cheaper.

Nearby Greenville SC may be on your route. Beautiful riverwalk right downtown (free and many great photo ops). Many restaurants nearby-walking distance.

That seems about right... we visited in May 2019 and paid $192.60 for 2. And yes, I would say it is worth it but it is a very long day.

We really enjoyed the Allenstand Craft Shop... spent a couple hours there... lots of incredible crafts.

As I recall, they have indeed raised the prices quite a bit since we were there about 5 years ago. Not surprising I guess. They've also rebundled some of the multiple extra tours that were available. We took an extra tour that was of some of the "behind the scenes" rooms that were not in the primary tour -- the kitchen, servant quarters, and back hallways. Also available separately was a tour of the upper levels/rooftop, if I recall. These 2 extras now appear to be included in one expensive mega "Exclusive Experience". And it might no longer include the rooftops from the description. I know we didn't pay any way near $284 per person for our total price.

Still, it's a pretty amazing house. I'd probably still pay the for the lower priced tour. But probably not the higher priced one -- although I did find that back rooms part very interesting.

Asheville is a great foodie town and has wonderful brewpubs. But I've found hotels to be a little expensive there. The Biltmore is beautiful but it doesn't hold a candle to the Hearst Castle in California in quality.

We tend to hang out in Banner-Elk and Grandfather's Mountain 80 miles north. My sister spends summers there. Or, we're in the beautiful Northeast Georgia Mountains where we keep a RV.

I echo what Bamaman says about the beer and food. Expensive? I guess that's relative...I have found that no matter WHERE you go the local beer/food experience is going to be more expensive than going to a chain (aka BORING) establishment.

When we lived in ATL, Asheville was our go to for long weekends and have visited probably 10'ish times. We did Biltmore once (during the Christmas season) and it was certainly expensive and cool to visit, but I we wouldn't do it again as it took away time from eating and drinking beer. The people watching is pretty good too!

One other thing, you can find downtown condos readily available on Air BnB. Some are quite expensive but some are pretty reasonable and the convenience of being downtown is great.

Last edited:
Its our back yard and don't go to Asheville very much... Never been to the Biltmore house personally. Did the Lazoom tour a few years back and enjoyed it. Love the Arboretum.
Chimney Rock state park is always nice if you enjoy hiking. Tons of breweries and restaurants.

Biltmore is the largest house in the U.S. If you have never seen it before, maybe it is a good idea to take it off the list this time. We visited it many years ago. It cannot be compared with the European palaces, but it is still something to see.

We visited Asheville the 2nd time last month. Visited the Arboretum, Urban city walking trail, riverside art district, red ginger restaurant and some art gallery. Nothing is fancy, but killed a day of time. Anyway, everything has an American flavor.

I took the whole famdamIly to Biltmore 6-8 years ago. Not a clue remaining in my head about the price of the tour, but I recall that we ate there, and it was not very good, and overpriced (surprise!)

I enjoyed walking around outside (sunny, warm December day) much more than walking inside. You probably could wander around outside for free.

I love visiting Asheville, but think the Biltmore is a bit of a rip off. The town has a great brewery and art scene. Good restaurants. The Grove Park Inn is pretty cool to check out. Outside of town, Pisgah National Forest and the Blue Ridge Parkway has so much cool stuff.

Back
Top Bottom