California trip

We love San Diego, go back often but largely because we are sailors.
We loved San Francisco, everyone should go once but it's crazy expensive and the homeless were everywhere, not likely to go back there unless to Napa with a side trip to Chez Panisse.
Los Angeles, not so much...and I've been there half a dozen times.

But it all depends on what kinds of things appeal to you and DW.

Thanks for the info. I have more to think about now. The biggest planning problem Im having right now is the Hearst Castle tour. Since I need reservations, I need to know which tour I will take which is tough since I really dont know how long the drive from Malibu is going to take. I had planned on a 3 hour drive and the noon tour, but now it seems thats not going to cut it.

We could easily skip the wine tasting. I hate wine, but DW likes it and it almost seems obligatory while in that area.

Right now I think the 2 options would be to either
1) After spending the day in Malibu, drive to Santa Barbara to spend the night which would mean my drive the next morning to Hearst Castel was about 3 - 3 1/2 hour or so like I originally planned

2) Stay in Malibu as planned but schedule the Hearst Castle tour for later (maybe 3PM?) and plan on that being the only thing we do that day and just call it a driving day.

We leave for this trip tomorrow. Yipee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We leave for this trip tomorrow. Yipee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun and fill us in with the details when you get back. We have had relatives wanting to be entertained when coming out. I need good ideas :)

We are back and what a fantastic vacation it was! I took much of the advice given here and it really helped alot in making it a memorable 40th birthday for my wife. I really wanted the whole thing to be a secret but had to balance that with the fact that some things wouldnt have worked out as well if she was completely in the dark (like what clothes to bring). I ended up telling her we were going to California and told her to bring a variety of clothes because we would be in a variety of climates.

Still she was mostly in the dark as I didnt tell here where we going each day until the last minute and in alot of cases she didnt know until we pulled into wherever we were going.

I bid for all the hotels we stayed at on Priceline and it worked out great. I ended up saving about $700 (12 nights) from what I wouldve spent if I had paid the cheaper of the rates at Travelocity or the hotels own website. This made it possible to stay at nicer hotels than we are accustomed to. Normally we would stay at places like Holiday Inn Express or mid priced places like that but we were able to stay at places like Hiltons and some 4 star hotels.

Leg 1) We arrived in San Diego to stay for 3 days. Stayed at the Hilton Mission Valley which was a 3.5* on Priceline ($75 per night). It was very nice but parking was $14 per day which seemed excessive considering it wasnt downtown or anything. I got a great deal on a rental car. I decided on an SUV since we would be driving up the coast for many days with alot of luggage, a cooler, suveniers ect. I originally was planning on getting a convertible but was really glad I didnt because it was unseasonably cool almost the whole time and we had way too much stuff for a convertible to be convenient getting in and out of our bags. Im not even sure it all wouldve fit.

Highlights:

San Diego Zoo...spent about 5-6 hours there and loved every minute of it.
Hiking in Torrey Pines State Reserve. Views are incredible and hikes are very easy. We actually did more strolling than hiking. Walked for a few miles down the beach afterwards.
Spent a few hours exploring Old Town and had a great dinner there
Chartered a sailboat and sailed the SD bay for 3 hours with one other couple and the captain. Sailed by downtown, the USS Midway and other sites. Had a great time and they had just lowered prices due to the recession so I got a great deal.
Coronado Beach...it was too chilly to lay on the beach but we took off our shoes and walked along the waters edge for a few miles and laughed and talked like we were honeymooners. The Hotel Del Coronado is a site to see. Google it..its amazing! (we didnt stay there)

Lowlights...very few..loved San Diego. Only thing I can think of was that the Gaslamp Quarter was a disappointment.

Leg 2) Drove from SD to Beverly Hills where we stayed one night. Saw the main things like the Graumans Chinese theater..walk of fame or whatever they call it, Rodeo drive..ect. Stayed at the Tower of Beverly Hills which looked old on the outside but was very nice. I think I paid $85 for it. The suckers charged me for the room which was prepaid thru Priceline though. I got the bill fixed but I hate hassles like that. I wonder how many fools dont notice extra charges on their card and just pay it? Parking here was valet only and was $22. Total rip off but the parking situation anywhere in the vecinity of L.A. is a complete joke. This leg couldve been skipped but we did want to see the Hollywood sign and all of that so whatever...

We also drove Mullholland drive and went to the Santa Monica Pier which was touristy but still cool. We had clay molds of our heads done by a guy on the pier. Mine made me look too old but otherwise looks just like me. My wifes looks ALOT like her. They were only $10 each so not bad at all I thought.

The highlight of this leg came while we were sitting on a bench on Rodeo drive. Months ago I had researched going to a taping of the Tonight Show or Price is Right or whatever but I found out that none of them tape during the summer. The website I was on had a place to leave my email address in case a pilot was filming and needed audience members or something like that. Out of the blue I get an email on my iphone that says we are invited to the live taping of "So You think You Can Dance?" which is my wifes favorite show. The taping was the following day which was my wifes exact birthday and the studio was 2 miles from our hotel. YAHTZEE!!!! Im instantly a hero! If you watch this show, it was the first results show. Seeing the behind the scenes stuff was really cool. I got to sit in the judges chair for 3 hours (they needed someone with short hair to test the lighting) while the dancers practiced the opening dance number and they filmed it from umpteen angles (that part of the show isnt live) but the rest of it is.

Leg 3) This was supossed to be the Maibu leg but the show taping lasted all day which seems long but it went by really fast and was something you cant do just anytime so it was well worth it. After the show we drove to Oxnard to spend the night at the Courtyard Marriott.

Leg 4) Santa Barbera and Sante Ynez valley.

Santa Barbera was very nice and looked like a great place to live but we didnt find much to do there so we didnt stay long. We moved on to the Santa Ynez valley which is where the movie "Sideways" was filmed. We stopped at a couple winerys for tastings and we got a behind the scenes tour at the Firestone winery which was fun. We stayed in Santa Maria at the Historic Santa Maria hotel. Its very old but has been remodeled. Apparently alot of movie stars would stay there back in the day as they drove from LA to SF. Alot of history there. The room was huge. They dont make 'em like that anymore.

Leg 5) This was mostly a driving day but we did stop at Hearst Castle along the way. It was very very impressive but I wouldve preferred a self guided tour so we could linger where we wanted to. Our tour guide was a 80ish year old woman who was very corny. It was also very foggy that day and the Castle is high up on a hill so the views were obstructed. Still a must see though.

Leg 6) Drive to Monterey. As anyone who has been there already knows. This is the most incredible drive on the planet. Around every curve is an amazing view. Then around the next corner is a better one. We stopped alot of places to take pictures. Saw alot fo seals sunning themselves on the beach. The only bad thing about this leg was that I had planned a really nice 6 mile hike at Pfieffer State park but it was close due to fires. Stayed 2 nights in Monterey and went to the aquarium which is first class.

Leg 7) San Francisco. 4 nights at the Renaissance Stanford Court which was the nicest hotel of them all. We even got upgraded to a King room. I had been warned that the rooms in SF are small but this King room wasnt small at all. I loved everything about it. We felt a bit out of place though. We are down to earth middle class hard working people and were staying at a 4 star hotel with what looked like alot of rich uppety people. Whatever....I paid $80 for the room and I bet they paid $200 or so.

We drove directly to Muir Woods and hiked until we couldnt stand it anymore. The trails at the base are very easy and scenic. The trails that go up into the woods are steep, strenuous and even more scenic. We had 2 deer walk right down the trail and get within 3 feet of us. After this we drove to the airport, turned int he car and took the train back into the city. SF is like NY. You dont need a car and will be glad you dont have one because driving and finding a place to park would b a nightmare. We loved everything about SF and want to go back. We saw all of the obvious tourist attractions. One of the coolest things was a movie tour we took. We were in a 25 passenger van / bus and they take you all around the city while showing move clips of movies that were flimed there. Its timed so just as you drive up to a certain place, the clip is showing the exact view of whatever building or street that you are looking at out the window of the bus. It was very entertaining and I highly recommend it.

It was a long 2 week vacation and I know I left alot of stuff out, but we had the greatest time ever. If someone will tell me how, I will post some pictures.

So many pictures...so little time

Attachments

• 100_1474.jpg
    100_1474.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1420.jpg
    100_1420.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 100_1415.jpg
    100_1415.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1412.jpg
    100_1412.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1379.jpg
    100_1379.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 1
More pics

Attachments

• 100_1372.jpg
    100_1372.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_1374.jpg
    100_1374.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1359.jpg
    100_1359.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1344.jpg
    100_1344.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1337.jpg
    100_1337.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 2
I guess captions wouldve been nice huh?

Attachments

• 100_1316.jpg
    100_1316.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1290.jpg
    100_1290.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1284.jpg
    100_1284.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_1440.jpg
    100_1440.jpg
    882.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1445.jpg
    100_1445.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 2
My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a trip to the West Coast that will begin in mid-August. We anticipate staying 1 month and are looking for ways to stretch our dollars. You've mentioned using "Hotwire" and "Priceline" for securing good deals for hotels and rental cars. I've never used either service. Can you furnish any tips for a first-time user? Can you suggest any strategy for getting the best deals?

I had never used Priceline or Hotwire up until a few months ago but now, I will never book another hotel without them. You will save 50-60% by using Priceline ( Hotwire is usually a bit higher)

There are 2 forums similar to this one, except they are exclusively dedicated to the ins and outs of Priceline and Hotwire.

biddingfortravel.com is the biggest and most comprehensive one and I use it alot but the owner / moderator is a real piece of work and loves to ban people for no reason. I got banned myself and still havent figured out why. I opened a new account to ask why and got banned again with no explanation. I had to change my IP address so i can still browse the site at will. I just cant post there.

The other one is betterbidding.com. People are nicer but its not as big so theres not as much info.

Basically you bid for a hotel at Priceline but dont know what hotel you will get until your bid is accepted. You choose, what city you want, what zone within that city and what star level of hotel and then bid. I never used Priceline before I found those travel forums because there was too much uncertainty involved. When you visit those sites, you will see that you can do alot of research into which hotels commonly come up when you bid. For example: You can search San Francisco, then search the Nob Hill zone and see the same 2-3 4 star hotels come up over and over so you can be reasonably sure you will get one of those hotels when you get your bid accepted. You can also see how much people are bidding and what bids are getting accepted so you dont bid $125 for a room thats listed at the hotel website for $200, when you couldve gotten it for $90.

Hotwire is similar in that you dont know what hotel you will get, but you dont bid. They just offer a hotel at a certain price and then you decide if thats acceptable before you know which hotel it is. Again, you can narrow it down by using the travel forums.

One thing to watch for is that Hotwires rating system isnt exactly the same as Pricelines. A 3* hotel at Hotwire will tend to be a 2.5* at Priceline so it can be hard to make a true comparison sometimes.

I've always been concerned about using Priceline due to the fact Priceline reservations are non-changeable, non-cancellable and non-refundable. Stuff happens.

Thats true, but you can wait until the day before you are travelling or even the day of your stay and still bid on Priceline if that is an issue for you.

Some people go ahead and book a room thru the normal channels (as long as its a refundable reservation) and then wait until the last minute to use Priceline. That way you dont take a chance on some trip cancelling event coming up and not being able to get your money back from Priceline, but you still avoid a possibility of Priceline having no rooms since you waited until the last minute (big convention in town or something).

utrecht/REWahoo,

Thanks! I have no doubt you have saved me a lot of effort . . . this is a great forum!

Back
Top Bottom