Colorado River Rafting

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just back from rafting the Colorado river for 8 days. We went with Grand Canyon Expeditions, I would recommend them. It was a magical trip, I expected 105 degrees and some clean water, what we got was monsoon season and rain on four days. This brought coolness, very high water and brown water all the time, except under waterfalls in side canyons. There were three groups of really nice people on our two boats but DW & I felt a little outside of the groups. We are now more tuned into traveling with family & friends.
I am glad we did this now, it was a bit more challenging than I thought. Setting up camp each day, loading/unloading the boats and longer side trail hikes were more energetic that we expected. I am 60 & DW Is 62 so we are looking at what trips we want to do now, while we have energy. We can do the pasta tour of Italy or the pub tour of the UK later in life.

Ah, sounds like a great trip, Yackers! Good for you for getting it done

Coach

Sounds like a great time, but how can you possibly put off a pasta or pub tour into later in life? I'm ready for one of those right now.

FWIW, I'd like to also put in a plug for Hatch River Expeditions.

DW and I took their six-day rafting tour through the Grand Canyon in 2001, and enjoyed it so much we went back and did it again last year, and might do it still again someday. Can't say enough good about them. Last year was their 75th anniversary in the business.

I did several white water rafting trips in my mid to late forties . Congratulations to you on doing it at 60 .

FWIW, I'd like to also put in a plug for Hatch River Expeditions.

DW and I took their six-day rafting tour through the Grand Canyon in 2001, and enjoyed it so much we went back and did it again last year, and might do it still again someday. Can't say enough good about them. Last year was their 75th anniversary in the business.

They were the other company we considered besides Grand Canyon Expeditions Grand Canyon Rafting | Grand Canyon Dory | Grand Canyon White Water Trips
I believe Hatch is the oldest, GCE the largest and GC Canyoneers pioneered the inflatable motorized rafts. A couple companies didn't look as well organized on the river and a private group actually ran out of fresh water and we donated some to them after their filter packed up. I discussed with the guide the youtube images of rafts turning over on Lava Falls and he kind of spit & said, there are usually three ways to do the larger rapids. The unexciting way, the exciting way and the stupid way. Any rafter who isn't clueless would know to avoid the seriously dangerous approaches.

Back
Top Bottom