Costa Rica

We have driven all over Costa Rica. We have always had a car while there.

The only caution I would give is to avoid driving at night in some areas. Especially poorly lit areas. It is not just potholes, etc. Sometimes it can be difficult to see pedestrians or livestock. Other than that roads are fine, drivers are fine in our experience.

We're planning a trip to CR for the 3rd week in August. Thanks for all the good tips.

We split our time in Costa Rica a few years back between a condo in Tamarindo and the other half of our time in the La Fortuna area by the Arenal volcano. We liked Tamarindo a lot but really loved the rain forest feel of the Arenal region and the cooler weather. I'm a bit of a bird nut so we had a room at the Tabacon that backed to the huge rain forest valley. The front desk loaned me a pair of good binoculars and I watched flocks of toucans and crazy colored bird like I've never seen in my life. Also enjoy a guided raft trip down the Rio Balsa (class II/III) and hiked to some waterfalls, zip lined in the rain forest as well. Loved the people and felt safe there. Driving from the airport to each place we stayed took a little group effort on catching the road signs. Would definitely recommend road travel in the daylight hours just for that reason of needing to catch the road changes as GPS, back then at least, was a bit spotty.

It was a long time ago, but we flew from MIA to San Juan, and we had arranged for a 5 hour shuttle bus ride to Guanacaste/Tamarindo. It's a long hot ride but neat way to see more of the country, especially if you have a lot of luggage.

Or there are puddle jumper flights out to liberia if you don't. Yeah you don't really want a car the whole time, maybe for the odd weekend, or arrange tours and things up into the rain forest, hot springs, etc. But maybe see if you can arrange for bicycles at your Airbnb, or a scooter.

Any time we have flown into or out of Liberia it has been on a 737. Direct flights home in some instances.

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica. Can anyone who has stayed at a good all inclusive resort tell me what you experience was? What does all inclusive entail? I am assuming they provide all your meals. Did you plan site seeing and adventures on your own or did the resort take care of all of that (I assume this would be extra)?

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica. Can anyone who has stayed at a good all inclusive resort tell me what you experience was? What does all inclusive entail? I am assuming they provide all your meals. Did you plan site seeing and adventures on your own or did the resort take care of all of that (I assume this would be extra)?

See my earlier post with rec of My Tan Feet. Might be worth checking their site and see if the have any info on all inclusive. Wife and I haven't done an all-in in years and never done one here in CR.

If you can't find what your looking for let me know and I can ask with friends who have been here a lot longer and might know something.

Great blog and very helpful. Lots of good info.

Back
Top Bottom