Dent Island, B.C.

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I will be cruising the San Juan Islands in August and will be dropped off at Dent Island. The resort there sounds very nice but is quite expensive. We aren't familiar with BC other than Vancouver. We prefer active things vs touring urban areas. What options do you recommend in the BC area?

BC has an abundance of outdoor activities in multiple locations, from Absailing to Ziplining. There is good hiking just about everywhere. A good place to start exploring is https://www.hellobc.com/default.aspx?CC=CA

Dent Island is one of the Discovery Islands and is quite remote. There is no regular ferry service and I don't think there is any accommodation other than the Dent Island Lodge. If you are going to be dropped off there, and plan to explore BC, you will probably need to arrange a water taxi or float plane ride to Campbell River, on Vancouver Island, or to Vancouver, on the mainland. From there you could rent a car.

If you can identify specific areas or activities that you are interested in, I think it will help people to give more specific advice.

Last edited:
I've never been to Dent Island, but in the 1990s, (on two occasions for two weeks at a time), my late wife & I relieved the fellow who was caretaking the fishing lodge, during the off season, at Farewell Harbour on Berry Island which is a little further north, up near Port McNeil.

As Meadbh notes, it's quite remote up there, think bears on land and orcas in the water ;) .........B.C is 1.3 times the size of Texas with approximately 1/6th of the population, so you may want to hone in a little.

Last edited:
Thanks. Obviously I need to do a little research... will be back once I've done that.

Back
Top Bottom